Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RickTaylor13

Just some questions about Doom

I have just recently started to love Doom and had some questions about some of the things in the games, some of the things not in the games, and just questions about Doom in general.

First off what are the green triangle things with the eye in it suposed to be?

In some of the levels in Doom II their are pictures of a demon that looks like the end boss/wall(lol) and near that picture their is another one of a demon that looks like the Abomination from the MTG card game, whay are these demons not in Doom as bosses or monsters?

Why was the final boss of Doom II a wall?

If Doom is baised in hell were is Satan, hes the main Demon?

How do demons become fused with cybernetic implants?

what is Ultimate Doom?

Well thats about all the questions I can think of for now. If I think of some more I will post them.

RickTaylor13 said:

Just some random creepy scenery items.

In some of the levels in Doom II their are pictures of a demon that looks like the end boss/wall(lol) and near that picture their is another one of a demon that looks like the Abomination from the MTG card game, whay are these demons not in Doom as bosses or monsters?

Againg, just cool/creepy scenery. I dont think they were ever meant to be enemies.

I wish I knew.

It's just a game with a loose premise. It's not exactly "accurate".

Magic.

what is Ultimate Doom?

A version of doom with a fourth, free epsiode.

RickTaylor13 said:

They are green things with an eye in it.

There's one that looks like the final boss, another's like the Baron of Hell, and then there's one that looks kind of like an Arch-Vile.

If not, it would have been a sprite... but that would probably not have worked with the concept the designers followed; keep in mind this is a game, not some sort of emulator.

And where are all the other demonic literary characters appearing in the myriad of books including these? Like, where is Arioch, and where's Demogorgon?

you can freely make it up if you need this info, since it's not explained in the game.

what is Ultimate Doom?

You have DOOM II but not DOOM? The Ultimate DOOM is the commercial release of DOOM, and it includes an additional, 4th episode.

RickTaylor13 said:

i think he's a "wall" because they didn't have the technology to make the goat head have depth and stuff, if you know what i mean...
Also, this does have something to do with hell since the goat is a symbol from satanism (though they got the goat from some sorta god of kindness, or something like that...i think)...

RickTaylor13 said:

Maybe Satan really isn't the main demon - maybe he's just Hell's spokesperson.

RickTaylor13 said:

The wall you´re probably refering to is a kind of spider mastermind, IMO. I think they flipped and mirrored it´s face to make it even more frightening. You will already find all these faces in Doom. It´s great that id has put a glimpse of Doom2´s final boss in Doom (although they probably didn´t know that at that time).

Ok, thanx all for clearing that stuff up. Those questions have just been on my mind ever since I first played Doom.

What I ment by why the final boss in Doom 2 was a wall, is why they just didn't make like a 100 foot Demon. But looking back at that level, and some chapters in the bible it says that hell is shaped like a giant demons body,(head= thrown room, arms, chest, legs) so mabe the Final boss is hell it self. But who knows, mabe ID left it up to the gamers to think what they want to think. One thing is for sure that level is a pain in the azz to beat on Ultra Violance(I'v yeat to get very far on Nightmare)

a 100 foot demon would be hard to create using sprites, something that huge would really need to be a 3D model, hence they used a wall

myk said:

where is Arioch, and where's Demogorgon?

Well, ari is generally hanging on IRC...

ahem... nevermind me ;)

RickTaylor13 said:

One thing is for sure that level is a pain in the azz to beat on Ultra Violance(I'v yeat to get very far on Nightmare)

I´m assuring you on NM it´s even more a pain in the ass. :)

Guess what... I have some more questions for you.

Ok I am going to assume that it is impossible to beat all the levels with 100% Items, Kills, Secrets and beat the par time... so is it realy all that important to beat the par time or the 100%, or is it all just for bragging rights?

Next question is: why was the Spider Mastermind not in the PSX version of Final Doom?

Are their Master Levels for the PC Final Doom like in the PSX Final Doom?

Why are the PC Revnants faster than the PSX Revnants?

RickTaylor13 said:

Ok I am going to assume that it is impossible to beat all the levels with 100% Items, Kills, Secrets and beat the par time... so is it realy all that important to beat the par time or the 100%, or is it all just for bragging rights?

Bragging rights. I'm not sure as to the possibility or not of getting 3 100% AND under par time, but I think it probably is unlikely on some maps. The only hard-set rule of the game is to reach the exit (or on some levels, kill the boss) without dying, there's no effect to the endings or anything. Those scores are just an extra challenge to work on.

The Master levels for PC doom came with Ultimate doom, and where also included in Maximum doom, which was about 2000 shit levels with thier textfiles missing.

As for the revenants, i dunno really, the plasma gun on the PSX version seems to fire slightly faster than the PC one, i guess there are just some innate speed differences that exist.

And i really dony know about the spider mastermind. It was only in the last level of PXS doom, maybe the console couldnt handle it very well (they had to leave out the arch-vile because the playstation couldnt handle it), so they didnt use many of them. It was also a bit weaker (one BFG shot could kill it from close range almost 90% of the time, its nearly impossible to do on the PC)

deathbringer said:

The Master levels for PC doom came with Ultimate doom, and where also included in Maximum doom, which was about 2000 shit levels with thier textfiles missing.

This statement contains a number of errors. Rather than point out each of them, I'll just direct you to this post, the The Un-Official Master Levels for DOOM II FAQ by Henrik Larsen and Ledmeister's info on the topic.

As for the par times, these are only intended to be relevant for "just run to the exit" speedruns, but a surprising number of the par times have also been beaten in Max runs (i.e. Max kills and secrets). See the compet-n database for the current records.

Draconio said:

The only hard-set rule of the game is to reach the exit (or on some levels, kill the boss) without dying

In fact, the game engine doesn't even care if you are dead at the time you exit (except for the E2M8 and E3M8 special exits). You just start the next map with the pistol and 100% health.

you are giving the game story more credit than what it is. doom really didnt have a story. Id wanted to make a shooter, nothing more. so they choose demons on the moons of mars.

honestly what in doom makes an sence? the green skies, on phobos? demons on phobos/demios, why not earth? Id really didnt care about story as much so there is alot of shit that isnt gonna fit.

also note that originaly doom was gonna take place on a plante called "tie tenga" this most likly fell apart in the last minutes of production. there are texture with the words "TEI TENGA" and then you got the E1 sky

i dunno why, but something reminds me of SNES doom on level 3 where a big area with quite some detail was simplified. SNES doom really sucked at seeing ahead of you, too.

there was a story in the manual for Ultimate Doom i bought...the 1st episode has green skies because you start out on earth (as far as i remember), and when you're done with the level with the 2 barons, you're teleported to mars or something like that...

LOL

You start out on phobos, after your squad went to investigate the loss of contact and where killed by the demons. After the barons you go to Demios, which has been teleported to hell, After the Cyber you leave demios and go down to hell, and after killing the spider mastermind you go to Earth, where doom 2 starts. You then go to the Starport (on earth), then an 'outpost of hell', then a City, Then hell again

good grief i know you are entitled to your opinions but lets figure for a moment that maybe it's just a game.(the best in the world at that) these miniscule things dont really need to be picked on.......

I've followed the eternal champion across the multiverse.

A friend of mine on AIM, who is really into Doom gace me a great idea. The Icon of Sin, in the last level of Doom 2, is a big goat face. He also said Satan is the icon of sin. I figure the face is as close as they go to making a giant demon. I figure it is Satan, in a symbolic form. Once you destroy it, it destroys hell, another reason I do not consider Final Doom canon.

according to what i know about satanism (which isn't a whole lot actually) is that the goat is a symbol and nothing else. Satan and this symbol are 2 entirely different things..some satanists don't even believe in satan, just the values of satanism.. personally i think a big goat demon would suit better as a mini boss before facing satan himself or something like that..

Satanism is an ideal. They follow it as an icon of sin in a way. They feel he is the ultimate rebel. So he is the icon of sin to many. They don't even have to beleive in him though.