Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Laguna

Help me mod a Mossberg 835 (gun-savvy)

Probably an odd question, but...

I have a question regarding the 835 model by Mossberg. It's a WONDERFUL shotgun, so there's no doubt about that. I've had this gun for about 2 3/4 years and I love it. It also is becoming increasingly popular for home defense because it can handle heavy loads (3 1/2" magnum shells and 00 buck) and still perform admirably. I'm not the world's best physics expert but I'm assuming the barrel length with the weight (28" barrel and roughly weighing about 9 pounds) help keep the gun steady if you can handle it.

Here's where the hard part comes in. I am thinking about adding a tactical folding stock + pistol grip kit (a la Franchi SPAS-12) to change it into a home defense/sporter combination shotgun. The problem comes in with the ungodly barrel length. Now, honestly, not many pistol-gripped shotguns that I have seen have a massive 28" barrel on the body itself.

The barrel isn't inherently a problem as I have already practiced a few times "shooting from the hip" and it is perfectly comfortable and controllable for me (muzzle never jumping more than 12 degrees), but I am not sure if Mossberg made the stock in a way that it would only be compatible with a sporting stock as opposed to a tactical stock. Does anyone know whether it can be done without any extra modifications to the gun?

And before anyone else suggests it, I'm not getting one of those M1-style Pistol grip/Sporting tactical stock setups because they just look plain gay. Can ya throw me a bone here?

Laguna said:

28" barrel

The barrel isn't inherently a problem as I have already practiced a few times "shooting from the hip" and it is perfectly comfortable and controllable for me (muzzle never jumping more than 12 degrees)

Well, thats probably because it's 28". I've got a 24" and a 28" for my mossberg.

Why are you shooting from the hip? heh

but I am not sure if Mossberg made the stock in a way that it would only be compatible with a sporting stock as opposed to a tactical stock. Does anyone know whether it can be done without any extra modifications to the gun?

I'm certain slight modifications would be needed. Try taking the stock off...or contact mossberg maybe? I'm looking over mine now...and i dont know if mine is supposed to come off without breaking...so i dunno

The cool thing is that alot of setups you can mix and match certain features you'd want (forend grips, flashlights and what not)...it's really up to you and what you need or think you need

If you sawed off the barrel, in conjunction with the pistol grip it might just look less homosexual, and make it alot more compact.

I was just testing the hipshots because you can't really shoot from the shoulder with a pistol grip.

Quast - could you tell me what shape the socket is on the inset of the stock where it connects to the frame of the shotgun itself?

If you are in the US be sure to see your State's laws when it comes to gun modification. Different states have different rules. It may be best to have a gunsmith in your State do it. It's cost quite a bit though, to get it done right.

If you sawed off the barrel, in conjunction with the pistol grip it might just look less homosexual, and make it alot more compact.

Yeah, then it would be pretty illegal

POTGIESSER said:

That idea is homosexual and illegal. Why saw it off when he can buy a shorter one legit?

Laguna: I dont quite get you there...the stock and body must be connected with a protrusion of metal into the wood. I'd have to take off the trigger. the connection is straight except where the stock meets the trigger housing. That is a half circle.

Now looking at my guns, I'd say I'd have an easier time modding my ruger 10/22 carbine if i was into that...heh...that shotgun looks like a pain in the ass. And that is my fav one anyway. A very very nice weapon i might add. I love shooting it.

edit: Laguna: oh yeah the shotgun is a mossberg series 500a 12ga...something or other I'm not 100%. I won it at a pheasants forever raffle some years ago