Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhobosKosmos

doom psx

just a short thread...

have you play doom on the playstation? is it at all different than on the pc? better, worse? slightly purple?

tell all you know.......

KOSMOS

PSX doom was considered by many people (myself included) to be the best port of the game. it has better sound and music, coloured lighting, surprisingly good controls. Most of the levels from Doom, Doom 2 and ultimate doom are in there, along with a few new levels. Also, no archvile or icon of sin (or nazi) and you don't meet the spider mastermind till the end.

Lots of fun.

My old Girl Friends mom played that one a lot. She always called it her "puzzle game"
It seemed slow and choppy.

PSX Doom was slightly better due to it's SFX and music-ambient music during the levels which freezes Your spine and military war like music in menus to make You feel like a Shattered Soldier.
There are 2 PSX Dooms:

1.PSX Ultimate Doom + Doom2 (yes, both Dooms in one game, separated into 2 episodes, containing first levels from Ultimate-second, levels from Doom2)

2.Final Doom (which has levels from Master Levels add-on, TNT addon and Plutonia Experiment, separated into 3 episodes).

As You may notice the save and load functions are disabled. That is because the developers (Midway) decided that it would be better since the game has short levels but plenty of them which You can beat in minutes and store the password between the levels, so saves aren't important. Gives the game more arcade feeling as well.

The game had numerous new features, like already mentioned coloured lighting (with some colours impossible for the pallette-like Cyan or Aquamarine). Suprisingly this gives tremendous atmosphere. The levels were changed, some were reduced in size, others were retextured (presumably due to limit of textures that could be used per level because of PSX's memory) others were cut. To play these levels on PC get:
Console Doom
The game also had some new textures, including new computer walls, animated variants of old ones (like jammed spacew's) and new skies-in Final Doom You could notice a beatiful night sky, while on hellish levels a very sinister wall of fire on a black background (IMO, that is the most hellish thing in Doom, ever).
All in all-I urge You to get PSX Doom (or an emulator and Rom if You're on a budget) to see what Doom could have been..

My favorite iteration of Doom by far. Improves on the original in so many ways (colored lighting, music/sfx, better framerate), but keeps the same formula that made the game so great. I do kind of miss the Archvile and it is sort of disappointing that the Jaguar levels were used for Doom, but it's still my favorite. Final Doom PSX isn't quite as nice, but is still a fine game.

I really liked PSX Doom. It was a very good port. I think, however, I will swim against the tide and say I prefered the original cripser sounds from the PC version. To me the PSX sounds all sound engineered and contrived to be scary by making them all a bit too booming and echoey rather than being "naturally" scary. In fact, I think the PSX sounds make it seem like the Doomguy has some sort of strange hearing impairment or something. Or maybe it's just the accoustics of his helmet. :-)

I just got the PSX Version for $9.99.Great port.I really like the music and the fact that you can fight Doom II enemies in Ultimate Doom.