Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

Mancubus head in the Megasphere???

i have no idea if anyone has posted this, but is that the Mancubus head in the megasphere I see?

There had to be something in the megaspehre so the artist took the Mancubus' head. Mystery solved.

Oh, is that all? Hu? I'm sick of skeptics ruining the world, you and your 'reasons' and boring 'truths' as you see them. There's something here I tell you...

Mystery continues.

But what if the artist really did just stick the mancubuses head in there? does it need to make some artistic statement about good and evil, humanity and hell?

Mancubus is strong and mean.
Mega sphere makes you strong and mean.
If it had a flower or a puppy on in... just think of how it would not be as cool.

deathbringer said:
But what if the artist really did just stick the mancubuses head in there? does it need to make some artistic statement about good and evil, humanity and hell?

Exactly -- had it been a flame or a candle or a hot air balloon then wouldn't people still ask why?

And while we're on that topic, what's up with the face in the soulsphere? *sigh*

Kristian Ronge said:

And while we're on that topic, what's up with the face in the soulsphere? *sigh*

I always thought it looked like an old wise chinese guy, like you'd see in a kungfu movie.

Looks like a screaming soul to me, hence "soulsphere" -- it contains an extra soul and therefore gives you 2x your normal amount of health.

Quasar said:

Looks like a screaming soul to me, hence "soulsphere" -- it contains an extra soul and therefore gives you 2x your normal amount of health.

Yes, that's pretty much how it is described in the Doom Bible (Section 14.2):

Soul sphere. Contains the life energy of a human soul (and thus, it is a 1-Up)! Could become another shape if this seems too wolfish.

Captain Red said:

Fun fact! The invulnerability actually has the lost soul from alpha doom inside it!

Is there anywhere where they have a list of all the little 'easter eggs' like these that Doom Alpha so deliciously provides?

Maybe the soul sphere head was from some enemy/sprite that just didn't work out. It seems possible of the heads from the only other two powerups came from existing sprites.

I was thinking that since it was called a soul sphere, there might have been some monster who went around stealing people's souls, and when killed by Doom guy the souls would escape his body sort of like how Lost Souls spawn when the Pain Elemental dies.

Frankly that soul sphere face really reminds me of the ghosts that steal your weapon in Splatterhouse 3.

Captain Red said:

Fun fact! The invulnerability actually has the lost soul from alpha doom inside it!

i can't believe i didn't know this until now

Maybe. Even as far back as the Doom Bible (see the stuff I quoted above) they were thinking it could be a different shape.

Foofoo said:

I always thought it looked like an old wise chinese guy, like you'd see in a kungfu movie.

I also thought it was something along those lines.

Interesting topic, I never knew that thing about the Invuln and the alpha lost soul.

As much as I've looked at the sprites, I've never made these connections before now.

Interestingly enough, now I can imagine the soulsphere frames being redone so that the thing doesn't just open and close its mouth, but keeps it closed except to attack or something, and flies around pursuing the player... could be done with megasphere and invulnerability sphere too...

Its kinda easy to tell that the megasphere had a mancubus face on it.

Btw very inresting fact with the invulnerability sphere.

Clawt said:

If it had a flower or a puppy on in... just think of how it would not be as cool.

LOL!

Mr. Jingles said:

it should make you fat too

LOL! ...again.

"FUN FACT" in alpha doom the bgh90000,<<<spelled right? you know, the most powerful gun! originally shot like a plasmagun but the shots were green,scattered,and lots more of them! theres a website that just talkes about the alpha's and beta's.

Technician said:

Well Ile be dambed. Thats a fun fact.

Hey!!! I just noticed something!!!! That alpha lost soul looks just like the head of the pink demon! Only white. Am i right?