Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dron

good forest/outdoor/nature texture pack(s)

i don't know if this is in the right forum but, does anyone know a good forest/outdoor-style texture pack(s)? im planning to make a mapset that takes place nearly entirely outdoor's and i have no skill at making textures.

Action Doom actually has some particularly good looking outdoors textures, along the lines of that "Classic Doom + Contra = This texture" kind of thing.

action doom's textures DO look good, but they're to cartoonish for my liking, are there any other good forest-style texture packs out there?

New World has some great outdoor textures and sprites. (the author does give permission, although many of those textures came from other authors - still, they must allow others to use them or else they wouldn't be in this wad)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

many of those textures came from other authors - still, they must allow others to use them or else they wouldn't be in this wad

That's not a safe assumption. You quite often see wads where stuff has been ripped from other projects (either without permission or disregarding the requests of whoever created the content), but yet the textfile contains the standard statement about permission being granted for further reuse, etc.

This one is especially unsafe. Daniel didn't even state where he got the textures. And several of those he lists for Newworld2 are ones that don't allow this (e.g. Darkening, Anubis; various commercial games are listed).

The Return resources might be worth a look. And Skyewood has plenty of trees.

Dron said:

i don't know if this is in the right forum but, does anyone know a good forest/outdoor-style texture pack(s)? im planning to make a mapset that takes place nearly entirely outdoor's and i have no skill at making textures.

Espi made a really amazing outdoor track... maybe he'd let you use his textures.

Espi's most recent wad (Narcosis) had some great outdoor stuff in, and it gives permission there. I used some stuff from it, and in fact New World does too. (but it misses the fact that Espi made them)

(damn, every time I try to help out in a sensitive area like this, there's always something wrong with my post...)

Try the Batman and Sirens TC wads for great tree sprites.http://www.doomwadstation.com/main/tc.html

Shit! Well who can be completely safe and give credit to everyone even if they try?

Seen many posts about this though. Many people who made textures, sprites, etc., will let you use them freely if you ask. Seems they just want to know where and how their work is used, so I have found.

You might download wads ands find these things and the author has said they are all free. And just if some other map artist says they are don't mean they are.

Best bet is to make your own. Steal them if you must, but remember what wad you stole them from, and then alter them. But remember where you got the originals and give some credit. Maybe you ain't giving the right person credit at all, but at least you don't look like a pirate.