Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Evil Dad

Playing old Doom on DooM3 CD??

Hello All,

according to the scuttlebutt I've heard, the original DooM is included on the DooM3 CD. I've even found the cheat code "Give doom95" on another web site to support this, but when entering this cheat code to load the 1995 version of the game, I get an error message.

So, Is there a way to play the original DooM off the DooM3 CD, and if so, how?

Showing my age....

It's not even an easter egg.

It's a blatant lie.

Somebody made it up and everybody copied that guy's console commands page and NOBODY bothered to do any fact checking.

The rest of the listed cheat codes do work, so I assumed that this one would to. :(

Not hip to what an "Easter egg" is, but I guess that means I'm not gonna be playing the Original version of DooM anytime soon. { ? }

Evil Dad said:

Not hip to what an "Easter egg" is

a joke put in a game on purpose, usually it's hidden and alot of times it refers to something else (another game, some movie, whatever)

Evil Dad said:

The rest of the listed cheat codes do work, so I assumed that this one would to. :(

Not hip to what an "Easter egg" is, but I guess that means I'm not gonna be playing the Original version of DooM anytime soon. { ? }

Well, you can go buy DOOM Collectors Edition for $30 bucks and play it today, or just hop on over to Download.com and download the classic shareware first episode right now:
http://www.download.com/3000-7563-855496.html

I have previously tried reloading my old DooM software ontolast two computers, but get frazzled sounds and effects, then the whole danged PC locks up within 45 seconds of the start of the game. I've assumed this was a result of changes from Dos based programming to the now-a-days Windows, so I never pursued trying to run an "obsolete" program.

Do these releases work on MS Windows?

BTW: Thanks for the link :o)

Namco said:

Well, you can go buy DOOM Collectors Edition for $30 bucks and play it today...

30 bucks?!?!?!? I bought mine for $10...

Dang! You guys are on top of things! Downloading your recommendations now, but will be a while with my dial up ISP.

Many thanks to all!

Ultraviolet said:

Don't use Doom95. It sucks.

I use Doom95, and it does suck b/c there are a LOT of wads it can't handle. Though the screen resolution is good and sharp.

Namco said:

Well, you can go buy DOOM Collectors Edition for $30 bucks and play it today, or just hop on over to Download.com and download the classic shareware first episode right now

Or you can get all of Doom/Doom 2 from P2P sources and websites. ... Not that I did. ...

I have Ultimate Doom on 5 backup floppies cause I lost my originals and Doom2 on a backup CD. The years have been rough on my originals, but I can still play 'em :)

GGG said:

I use Doom95, and it does suck b/c there are a LOT of wads it can't handle. Though the screen resolution is good and sharp.

Yeah, 640x480 is THE BEST! :P

Nah, just kidding. Seriously though, if you havent yet, get ZDOOM, you will shit your pants because it runs so much smoother and at higher resolutions.

Didn't Doom run at 320x200 (making 640x400, the better choice)?

Things looked pretty squat in 320x200, though. I think the extra 40 pixels of height made lots of things look more elegant.

Doom (or, to be precise, full screen 320x200 resolution) stretches the pixels vertically somewhat. When Running DOOM in a window it's necessary to somehow convert it to a standard Windows resolution to avoid a squat look.

What looks squat is any unstretched DOOM graphic in a Windows environment (or resolution)... unless you add 20% to such a graphic's height it looks wrong.

Mm, I don´t like the stretched look that much, it somehow takes away from the original look and feel of the game. I recently played around with ZDooms resolutions with this aspect in mind. I ended up with 800x600 because it´s the best compromise between the original look and feel and a modern high res look.
I think, 640x400 is the only higher res. that maintains the original ratio of 1.6,. All others (like 800x600) have 1.666 or 1.333. They should add another high resolution with 1.6 ratio to a future version of ZDoom. I can get used to 1.333, you know, but 1.6 would be way cooler.

for all your windows playing needs, use a PORT. like zdoom, prboom.
Doom95 has more bugs than the original exe, was a demo for the then new directX.
to solve you problems download a port.
if for some reason you need the original exe set up a dual boot system with DOS or windows98