Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KLittle123

I want an expansion

If it does, it won't be made by id. TeamTNT, maybe? ;)

Seriously I doubt there will be much of an offical MP expansion. Doom3 is entirely based around Single Player, and a lot of fans want more of that. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more MP maps, but not a full expansion.

IF they don't touch doom then they'll probably make an expansion with a "mini-plot." Some little story where your a different character trying to get out of UAC. Like another marine or a scientist or something.

As for the multi-player, I doubt they'll do anything more than add a few new maps. Doom is a single player game. It was meant to be a single player game, thus it focuses on Single Player and no MP. I actually liked the SP better than the MP.

who gives a shit about mp, go play >insert any game other than doom3 here cuz theyre all about mp<

If there is an expansion for Doom 3 i hope they expand on the "life on Mars" aspect that you experienced at the start. The mood they set up was wonderful and i enjoyed listening in on the staff as they complained about this or that. It did a great job of giving you the feeling that something very wrong was going on and something terrible was on its way. Unfortunately this was discarded rather quickly. Perhaps an expansion that took place across the base or even on one of Mars' moons could expand on this theme a bit longer in its introduction.

Another thing i would have liked to see in Doom 3 was more teammates tagging along like in Half-Life: Opposing Forces. I think any expansion for Doom 3 should include squads even if only in a few spots. It would be awesome to have other marines following you along for some satisfying firefights against a few imps or whatever else you might come across.

I think the editing community will end up making an expansion addon.

Goat said:

who gives a shit about mp, go play >insert any game other than doom3 here cuz theyre all about mp<

COUNTER STRIKE

yea go play counterstrike u gayboy

If there ever IS an expansion it would just HAVE TO INCLUDE the Super-Shotgun and the Spider-Mastermind + arachotrons :P

sambobbilly said:

COUNTER STRIKE

yea go play counterstrike u gayboy

Dealing with some repressed anger issues are we? Counter Strike take your lunch money? Lol

Well regardless, i think its a valid point that other games are more multiplayer friendly. I remember a time when ID wasn't sure Doom III would have ANY mp, in fact isn't it Gray Matter(Enemy Territory) who took care of the mp aspect...?

Anyway, i love an expansion pack, done like the later levels of D3, more action and colourful settings that really show what the engine is capable of.

If i or you or anybody wants mp, here are the games i have, i hear there are other like Jont.ops and BF1942...

America's Army (FREE!)
Call of Duty (Heat Of Battle mod/ReVolt mod) <--- my favorite online game/mods EVER
Counter Strike (umm wait for CS:Source to see who your shooting, comes free with HL2)
Halo
Medal Of Honor
Quake III Arena (Urban Terror mod)
R6: Raven Shield
Unreal Tournament 2k4 (Red Orchestra mod/SAS mod/Frag.Ops mod/Alien Swarm mod)
Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory (FREE)

S1lent said:

Something tells me it's going to have something to do with the Doom 2 setting.

Would that something be called "sheer obviousness?"

i already mentioned this earlier, but...

I...half-know that the expansion will be on Mars and will follow the immediate plot of of the end of DoomIII into the plot of...Doom 64 (it's in Doomworld's archives, if you want to read it)

Basically, it will be like so:

1. You're debriefed and Earth gets the whole schlabeel on what happened (this follows the last "fmv" scene in DoomIII where you're found by the sentry bot)

2. You see the rescue team finish the infiltration of the entire Mars base, then they seal up and quarantine the entire Mars base. (as mentioned in the Doom54 plot)

Either:::

A: A neighboring colony sees strange shit in the sealed base:(neighboring colonies, probably un-related to the UAC, were mentioned in the game)

B: The world government and the UAC want to see what's happened since the containment (and/or wants to reopen the base and/or wants you to bring something back to them)

C: A dying satelite beams a final report saying hell broke loose again (The Doom64 plot)

...Either way, you're sent back to possibily the same hangar you started DoomIII in and the game takes off from there...

...Or, as some have mentioned, its Phobos and/or Deimos, which would in theory both certify the "whole retelling" of the first Doom III part and make possible for whatever the plot is worth a need to "secure" the 2 other moons.

I do know this...
id would personally monitor and overview EVERY part of a Doom 2, Hell on Earth game. It would be a BIG game, require possibly whole new textures and objects and programs/scripts (vehicles, planes, soldiers, civilians, city/suburb scape, Earth stuff, etc.)

Also, I am sure id would rather make it a whole new game (and they did say the expansion was just that, an expansion).

In summary, id is making a new game now, which is not a Doom game, so they wouldnt have the time they always demand to overview a new Doom version; the whole purpose of an expansion is to expand the plotline and game terrain, not completely change the setting.

And one other thing...

Doom64 was not like the others. It had mood-music with SFX in the songs (like Doom III). It had "remodeled" monsters (like Doom III). And, it had machinery, realistic levels, and 2-floor potential (the first Doom game and only one (until Doom III).

Since Doom64 is similar to, can easily be reinterpreted into, can then be put into DoomIII, and already comes complete with a plot; I think the least time consuming and easiest way for id and the sub-producer of the game will be to recreate Doom64. (catches breath)

Dammit if you want a Doom64 for Doom3 so bad then why don't you learn Doom3Radiant and make it yourself? I also seriously doubt that just because it's easier to do it and such that id will make an expansion for Doom3 based off another Doom game, and one that wasn't even made by id themselves.

i hope they dont do a MP pack, cause doom isnt an MP game.

hell may end up like half-life packs. the soldier and a guard. who knows

one thing i would love to see is a "they hunger" or similar map from good old neil. i am gonna reinstall HL just to play they hunger. i love that addon more than any of the mission packs.

if you own half-life you had better snag that user TC. he also made uss darkstar for HL and a few quake maps

however if anyone knows where to download these maps without going through file planet, gamespy, or what ever. let me know. i am getting sick of this pay to download free shit

in fact isn't it Gray Matter(Enemy Territory) who took care of the mp aspect...?

Not quite. Gray Matter did Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but Enemy Territory (Multiplayer) was done by Splash Damage, who did indeed also handle the multiplayer for Doom 3.

I think if there is an expansion it will a) not be done by id and b) will feature the Super Shotgun, Arachnotron, Pain Elemental, Baron of Hell & Spider Mastermind. Maybe even the Demon Spitter (Icon of Sin) too.
It will also probably NOT be based on Doom 2 or set on Earth.

Still, we might be surprised.

There's a mod team developing an 'unofficial' "Doom 3: Hell on Earth" add-on. I'm gonna try it out for sure (just hope those drivable vehicles they're threatning us with won't be implemented in such a way that it'll piss me off), but I also hope we'll get an official "Doom 2 retelling" expansion pack.

It'll be nice if the expansion pack adds a hub-based level structure - few maps, lots of going back and forth, with monsters having spawned in when you return to an already cleared area.