Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liberation

Doom3 demo

I've just bought the uk pc gamer and in the back were it says whats in next months mag, is Doom 3 under the demos list...

tkmaster said:

the demo might be out pretty soon actually

Uhm, pretty soon as in "within a month"?

I'd like to see how dark it really is, coz I HATE dark games.

then i am sorry doom III is NOT for you. it is dark for a reason, its part of the game.
i dont know what goes on in peoples head to make them think doom III was not gonna be linear and dark. its a FPS, of course its gonna be linear. its not some open ended RPG or adventure game. its not the silent hill series with many endings. one of the inspirations was alien, a DARK movie

There's dark, and there's too dark. Then there is so fricken dark, all the frikken time, with hardly any light areas at all, so much so that you can't see the frikken game half the time.

Guess which one Doom 3 is? :-P

Shaviro said:

Who put you in charge?

Indeed. Personally I'm getting pissed off with the amount of new posters proclaiming that threads need to go to post hell.

AirRaid said:

Indeed. Personally I'm getting pissed off with the amount of new posters proclaiming that threads need to go to post hell.

OMG AIRRAD PLZ U MUST SEND THIS 2 HELL

Anyway, this is good news. I'll DL the demo if it has something special in it (like levels not seen in D3 or something) but if it's not like that then I probably won't.

/me losers BBG

Anyway, I'll probably get the demo no matter what it is, cos I'm like that heh.

chilvence said:

Enjay, scared to use the flashlight?

Yes! :-P

Actually, no. I'd just like some areas of the game where I didn't have to, just to get a look at the game. This is an engine possibly capable of the coolest looking game graphics ever (so far) yet the game spends most of its time hiding what the engine is capable from us. :-?

I also think that varying the darkness levels and providing areas of light would enhance the experience and make the dark areas even more scary. Constant darkness inures the player (or me at least) to the scare factor it is supposed to produce. Imagine if someone released a classic Doom WAD with a series of levels so dark, with no relief, where you had to peer into every corner in every corridor and room in every level just to try and see what was going on and where to go. It would piss people off and I'm pretty sure it would be commented about (and not favourably) in /newstuff and other reviews. So why is it acceptable in Doom3. Answer - it's not (as far as I am concerned).

Because although It's Doom 3, and a remake of Doom, it Isn't Doom. It is different. And so there are different game mechanics involved.

Enjay said:

I'd just like some areas of the game where I didn't have to, just to get a look at the game. This is an engine possibly capable of the coolest looking game graphics ever (so far) yet the game spends most of its time hiding what the engine is capable from us. :-?

Spot on. Let's wait until the BIG guys make a real game with the engine.
What does id have to hide? A lot it seems ...

THIS is how I'd like D3 to look like. It's a heavily brightened version of a dark pic I saw somewhere.
You can actuall SEE your surroundings, isn't it amazing? :)

And then look at this, a comparison of a wall close-up between D3 and Painkiller? Which is which and which looks the best? *grin*

That bridge shot isn't brightened at all. That area is actually fairly bright because it's, you know, outside.

I don't get why people complain that Doom 3 is dark. Do people complain that the Thief games are too dark? Or Splinter Cell? No... because they're game which are meant to be played with a lot of darkness. Guess what? So is Doom 3.

And sure, Up close there are a few games which make textures look better. Doom 3 doesn't have Detail textures. But how long in the game do you spend standing staring at a wall? Seriously?

Anyway this is getting offtopic. Talk about the demo dammit. :P

There's enough threads about the OMG DARKNESS in the game.

AirRaid said:

That bridge shot isn't brightened at all. That area is actually fairly bright because it's, you know, outside.

U trying to be funny or sumfin'?
THE ORIGINAL PIC :((((((

*expletives deleted*

Enjay said:

Yes! :-P
Actually, no. I'd just like some areas of the game where I didn't have to, just to get a look at the game. This is an engine possibly capable of the coolest looking game graphics ever (so far) yet the game spends most of its time hiding what the engine is capable from us. :-?

I also think that varying the darkness levels and providing areas of light would enhance the experience and make the dark areas even more scary. Constant darkness inures the player (or me at least) to the scare factor it is supposed to produce. Imagine if someone released a classic Doom WAD with a series of levels so dark, with no relief, where you had to peer into every corner in every corridor and room in every level just to try and see what was going on and where to go. It would piss people off and I'm pretty sure it would be commented about (and not favourably) in /newstuff and other reviews. So why is it acceptable in Doom3. Answer - it's not (as far as I am concerned).

I know all this is your opinion and all and it's fair enough, but I really feel that people exaggerate how dark Doom 3 is.
Yes, most of the game is covered in darkness, but there are still plenty of areas (surface areas - not entire rooms) where you can admire the graphics and you do not have to use the flashlight all the damn time. There are a few areas where you're dependent on the flashlight to spot enemies, but other than that, most of the time, you only use the flashlight to search the area for items.

Yes, I too wish there was just a little less constant use of darkness for the sake of variety, but it really isn't as bad as people make it seem imo.

Of course it looks dark against a white background. Fullscreen, that's not that dark.

I do agree with the horrible encompassing darkness. BUT, that's partly due to the game's default gamma setting. IIRC, the console command is r_gamma. Try a setting of 1.4 or 1.6.

Part of the darkness issue, I think, isnt that people cant see, it's that the game is just plain black in so many places. What I mean is that walking around with the flashlight for long periods of time causes a bit of eye strain due to the extreme contrast between the flashlight beam and the inky darkness (or maybe Im just really sensitive to contrast). Changing the gamma setting helped ease this without ruining the mood or surprises. And made the game much more enjoyable.

Back on topic: Yeah, I'll probably get the demo just to see if there are any minor differences. And just to see what part of the game id chooses to show off.

Shaviro said:

Who put you in charge?

Everyone wants to have power these days. Pathetic trait of the human race. Greed will be your downfall! How about them Mets?

dsm said:

I know all this is your opinion and all and it's fair enough, but I really feel that people exaggerate how dark Doom 3 is.
/B]

PK4EVA said:

This isn't dark, this is freakin' RIDICULOUS!!!

Unfortunately a shot like that is highly dependant on your monitor's brightness and video card's gamma. The "adjusted" pic is actually a bit darker than that section on my computer. Usually what I do is find a dark area, turn up the gamma until I can clearly see the darkest colors, then adjust the gamma back down until the darkest areas blend seamlessly into the black.

Oh god,You guys are wimps.I only found myself using the flashlight when I abosolutely HAD TO.Or just to get a better look at those funky UAC jeeps.

sambobbilly said:

your more of a man if u use your flashlight most of the time instead of Nervously having your gun out at all times

No,I just have the skill to take out most of the monsters quickly.Hell if you ask me the chainsaw is the best weapon against anything short of a Revenant.

Sephiroth said:

then i am sorry doom III is NOT for you. it is dark for a reason, its part of the game.
i dont know what goes on in peoples head to make them think doom III was not gonna be linear and dark. its a FPS, of course its gonna be linear.

Linear refers to LEVEL design, not story

Doom1 was not the excact same game everytiem you played, not was theif, system shock, or even duke nukem 3d

Futhermore MOST FPS have exploration as a large part of the game

sice true 3d games, good automap becomes hard to use, levels become easy and linear.

Max Payne comes to mind. Part one and two, for example.