Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Johnatone

X Opera

...where X is a genre of music.

I was thinking about this the other day (albeit I was high) and thought about this. We have rock operas: The Wall, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Tommy, The Downward Spiral, et cetera. They're really damn cool. Hell, Ziggy Stardust is considered the best rock album of the 70's, or at least '73. Something like that, been awhile.

Now, I'm not much for music that sucks, but for some reason I do listen to rap music and enjoy it reguardless of it sucking, esp the suckier groups like ICP, Dark Lotus, Twisted, et cetera. Anyway, I'm new to the rap scene kind of. I was down with Snoop, Dre and Em back in the day, but I got out of it and didn't get back into it until I started getting high.

Have there been any rap operas? I think it'd suck, but still be cool but still suck but, well you know. I'm on the fence on rap. Anyway, I was wondering because we actually have a couple of guys here who do that shit and I've chimed in (and now a local african-american/coloured/negro guy from chicago wants to battle me MCin'. Tight). Just a serious question, because I'd like to look those up and check them out (I'm a huge music nut anyway) and see what I can do.

ScareCrow said:

Have there been any rap operas?

I believe the correct term would be Hip-Hopera

AYREON - THE HUMAN EQUATION:

BEST.
ALBUM.
EVER.

(not, really, but still fucking awesome, and probably one of the best albums to have come out this year.)

ScareCrow said:
Em

heh

The closest thing I've heard to what you're looking for is a melodic rap track (it's actually a remix) of the Arcturus song Master Of Disguise (Phantom SCN Remix). It's rap but it's more melodically complex than the majority of rock/metal songs these days.

spank said:

AYREON - THE HUMAN EQUATION:

BEST.
ALBUM.
EVER.

(not, really, but still fucking awesome, and probably one of the best albums to have come out this year.)

Seconded, although there's not the slightest hint of rap on it :P

That was my instinctive reaction to the word "Opera" on a thread, heh.

Not quite a rap opera, or a rock opera. But there is a Metal Opera by a german guy named Tobias Sammet, called Avantasia. One Story over 2 CD's. Bloody good stuff too. He mananged to get the drummer from Helloween and Eric Singer from Kiss involved.

It's extremely hard to find though.