Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plasmaburst

uninteresting fact [Doom textures in Shadow Caster]

Wow. There's a person in that left one. I always thought it was a smudgy rock or a muck-covered window or something.

Can't say I've seen any pics in other games. Though I'm not a really avid game player.

So? Strife's Punch-Dagger is a collage of edited versions of Doomguy's fists. The Strife Acolyte is an edited version of the Doom marine sprites. Macil is an edited version of the Doom Imp.

Well, this isn't quite the same thing, but I've seen Id to reuse textures a lot in their games. Those yellowish rocks in Doom 2 first appeared in Wolfenstein 3D, and later reappeared in Quake 2. Quake 2 also had those hexagonal floor tiles based on the Doom ones. And in Quake 3 Arena, some textures have a miniaturized version of the Icon of Sin face on them. There are probably some others if you look closely.

Darkhaven said:

So? Strife's Punch-Dagger is a collage of edited versions of Doomguy's fists. The Strife Acolyte is an edited version of the Doom marine sprites. Macil is an edited version of the Doom Imp.

The generic rebel and Strifeman are also Doomguy edits.

Draconio said:

Well, this isn't quite the same thing, but I've seen Id to reuse textures a lot in their games. Those yellowish rocks in Doom 2 first appeared in Wolfenstein 3D, and later reappeared in Quake 2. Quake 2 also had those hexagonal floor tiles based on the Doom ones. And in Quake 3 Arena, some textures have a miniaturized version of the Icon of Sin face on them. There are probably some others if you look closely.

Heh

insertwackynamehere said:

Why the FUCK does your website try to access 127.0.0.1? Fucking idiot.

it works fine to me :)

too bad i can't edit strife maps and PLAYTEST them...grrr strife
grrr dehacked dos program doesn't work with xp...grrrrr license agreements not to distribute id's iwads...

ok i feel better

kevinrocs said:

it works fine to me :)

too bad i can't edit strife maps and PLAYTEST them...grrr strife
grrr dehacked dos program doesn't work with xp...grrrrr license agreements not to distribute id's iwads...

ok i feel better

Grrrr Get WhackEd and shut up.

I always thought one of the Strife bad guys death anaimations looked like the Nazi sodleirs death from Wolf3D.

Umm.... I have recently converted around 150 textures/flats from DOOM1 and DOOM2 into HereticII's .M8 format.
And a few of these 150 converted DOOM textures are already being used in 2 of my maps for HereticII.
If you're interested and you want to check it out, just visit my homepage by clicking one of the buttons below!
Cheers :)

< SECTION OF POST EDITED DUE TO MY OWN EXTREME STUPIDITY >

I still find it interesting about the Shadow Caster = Doom textures thingie... Screenshots of the edited Shadow Caster patches?

Back when I was flirting with Quake editing I was looking at Quake's selection of textures and flats and stumbled upon two of Doom's wooden floor flats, flat 5_1 and flat 5_2.

wow you mean id made some new very, very generic textures for a newer game which are similar to some other very, very generic textures from an older one?! NO SHIT YOU SAY!!

Hay guys, I think Half-Life copied from Doom, because it has some grass texture that looks just like Doom's and Unreal stole from Doom because it has this brown brick texture with multiple bricks just like Doom and Deus Ex stole from Doom because it has this steel texture with rivets on it JUST LIKE DOOM!!!

Only one of your examples is actually a reused image... and you didn't even touch on the fact it's been reused by id at least 3 times.

The first is a wolfenstein wall texture, next we have the Doom texture which is used twice in doom with different filters applied, shown here. The third image is the Quake texture, albeit heavily modified yet still clearly the same image. It's not really shocking because id probably had that image on some stock photo CD they own, and so they continued using it because they already paid for the rights to use it or it was free. Woo.

Scuba Steve said:

If you look closely, Wall 2 and Wall 3 transition as if they were exactly the same texture, but Wall 1 to Wall 2 don't transition cleanly at all. I wonder if...

The first one doesn't translate properly because it's a 64x64 texture, whereas the other two are 128x128.