Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hektik

WAD Music and Sound Requests

I'm starting my own single player megawad of my name that changes just about everything (not quite a TC) in DooM II--original textures,hud/weapons,flats from paint(/w Wintex), maps from DeepSea, enemies, and all sprites and graphics; only problem is in 3 parts:

BGM midis--I don't want to take any copyrighted music from other wads, but I don't also want to resort to old DooM music (not that its bad). Can anyone point me out to some cool action-oriented BGM that is compatible and not illegal to put in my WAD? Or if there is a midi mixer program that translates into WADs?
Wave sounds--Pretty much the same request as BGM, but waves are more flexible for Wintex :)

Some help as well:
I'm specifically making this megawad for DooM Legacy with Fragglescript and Colored alphas,etc. but I would like to port it to Zdoom/Zdaemon(coop) as well, the only problem is that I don't know how to put the .DEHACKED lump into my wad; I tried -file .deh but it never worked. Any help would be appreciated.

You're supposed to do this:

Legacy -deh deh.deh

And if it's for Legacy, you can also use MP3's. Just rename your D_MUSIC lump to O_MUSIC and run Legacy with the -digimus paremeter, IIRC.

Thanks for the info, but I was just trying to get .DEHs into Zdoom but did the .bat shortcut instead, could I do this with Zdaemon?

About the MP3s...I probably don't want to distribute regular songs, and it takes a lot of extra space, but I'll still consider it, thanks!

A good place to got for music is http://www.modarchive.com, lots of great tunes there. They do take up a lot of space, though. (and I'm not sure if Legacy supports it - ZDoom does though)

If you want midis, then http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/music has some good music wads in it. Or http://www.vgmusic.com for midis of tunes from old games.

As for ZDaemon (heh, I was playing you on TLSD2004 earlier today), you'd probably have to include the patch as a DEHACKED lump - although I'm new to ZDaemon, I don't think external deh's are supported. To do this in Wintex, create a new entry called MAPINFO (or any other Hexen text lump) load your patch into it and rename it DEHACKED.

hehe- why don't you make your own midis? They're easy as hell to make. Download and use Cakewalk. I prefer the old versions for Windows 3.1

Foofoo, thanks for the advice; so which trial version on the Cakewalk website would I download for MIDI's?

BTW, some (ok, maybe a lot) of the MIDI's I've selected now are from T.U.D.'s references, so since he is an awesome ZDaemon player,
I will give him credit for it in the readme. Many thanks!!

Hektik said:

Foofoo, thanks for the advice; so which trial version on the Cakewalk website would I download for MIDI's?

lol hehehe. Get the whole version, not the trial. Get it from a downloading prog like Kazaa or something. Plus they'll most probably have newer versions of Cakewalk on the Cakewalk site (whatver the site is). Like i said, i prefer the old version(s). The new versions are bloody annoying for me.

Or just use other people's midis. Might as well. No need to go to the trouble of making music. In other words, this post is quite pointless.

I downloaded the old version of Cakewalk like so, and I think I've decided to go with game and other midis; I tried, but I'm no music creator and even if I did spend the time to make quality unique music - it would take FOREVER, but appreciation is still taken.

As for HEKTIK.wad - well, I'll post a link to my megawad website for screenshots as development nears.
THREAD CLOSED---thanks :)

Foofoo said:

hehe- why don't you make your own midis? They're easy as hell to make. Download and use Cakewalk. I prefer the old versions for Windows 3.1

?

For midis, you could also try Anvil Studio. 'tis freeware and easier to figure out than cakewalk. Older versions from around april 2001 seem better than the newest ones. (They have pitch-bend support...whereas the newer ones don't for some reason.)

Naitguolf said:

is there a DooM Music wad with full 3do music? Like psxmusic.wad?

is 3do the best music port?

Personally I like the music from PSX Doom better, but when it goes to actually recreating the original Doom music, I would probably have to say that 3DO Doom has the best, unless there is some console port which I don't know about that has better.

Tolwyn said:

?

That question mark doesn't tell me much.

Are you saying "what?", as in, "what are you talking about? I'm a Music Man and i make music and its NOT easy to make, you little snot?" well it depends what music you make. Music CAN be easy if you make music like me- have one looping series of notes repeat AGAIN and AGAIN and add a looping drum go on endlessly. Easy.

If that WAS what you meant by that single question mark because im really not sure.

3do music-Yes it's really great. Perhaps even better than PSX Doom mus-builds up action, but ambient makes a great mood.

Foofoo-I believe Tolwyn was shocked when You sugested downloading Cakewalk (because You download a trial and the purchase, the program isn't freeware). That's first. And second by Your sentence-making music is easy. I've been in music for 3 years and still clasify myself as a newbie. I do not know about You capabilities and skills in music making, but suggesting a person who is looking for music to make it themself is dumb, if he could make it he wouldn't be asking now would he?

Nmn said:

suggesting a person who is looking for music to make it themself is dumb, if he could make it he wouldn't be asking now would he?

For god sake i was suggesting for him to make it himself. He never said "I can't make music" so i was just tossing him the idea. Even if he NEVER made music, which is most probably the case, its still easy to make. It just takes a little practice to make some good sounding stuff. The reason why i say he should make it himself is that Doom type music is pure SHIT. Absolute SHIT. he might as well make it himself.

Well, Doom music is old You know, not really total Shit.
I suppose You don't like midis, but they are as hard to compose as normal MP3's. When Doom came out midis were popular and liked. Besides, there are still many midi sites so people like mids to this day, so I wouldn't call it "shit" just because it's old.
I believe that with Cakewalk music would be easy to made (never had Cake) because anyone with a little feel of beat could make some mus, yet, practice without knowledge is a dumb gamble between what's good and bad. So only a couple lessons to learn what's the damn chord or what's the difference between 4/4 beat and 3/4 beat is quite vital IMO.

Nmn said:

So only a couple lessons to learn what's the damn chord or what's the difference between 4/4 beat and 3/4 beat is quite vital IMO.

Nope you don't even have to know THAT. Even i don't really know what those mean still.

And i actually like midis, i just said Doom type music is shit because its usually typical souless rock-n-roll blah. The music in the actual doom games are generally alright, but i was refering to the music other people put in.

so, no 3d0 full wad?

I found a few mp3's from doom depot. how many different music 3d0 has? Anyone more skilled with mp3+wad can make a 3d0 wad music? I was amazed with the 3do doom quality music

First of all, I wouldn't call anyone a snot. ;)
But I guess my "?" was a bit rhetorical. Although not entirely difficult, I assume you'd want GOOD music, and creating that kind of music isn't something I'd categorize as "easy" per se.

Not saying it wouldn't come naturally to a person with natural talent or learned skill. I guess more assuming you meant easy as in "with little effort or work" in which case my "?" was to indicate that I am left with mindset which is borderline on "puzzled."

Foofoo said:

That question mark doesn't tell me much.

Are you saying "what?", as in, "what are you talking about? I'm a Music Man and i make music and its NOT easy to make, you little snot?" well it depends what music you make. Music CAN be easy if you make music like me- have one looping series of notes repeat AGAIN and AGAIN and add a looping drum go on endlessly. Easy.

If that WAS what you meant by that single question mark because im really not sure.

well, yeah. I did mean that music making is easy as in it just takes a little bit of skill to 'get a hang of it'. And im sure most people these days have listened to a lot of music, so they have some subconsious ability at making it if given the chance.

music is easy to learn, hard to master. You can't just know what scales go with what scales, and all sorts of technical stuff without practicing making music for a long time.

actually you don't need to know that scale stuff. do i? you just stick notes on a bar and see how it sounds. If it sounds bad, change the notes around. Music making, for me at least, is just trial and error.

exactly my point :P when you know all the technical stuff it's much easier to make music, and it'll sound better too. Also, if you've made something that sounds awful, it's easier to find out what's wrong when you know technical stuff...there's a reason go to music schools for several years you know :P (i didn't do that though, but i've been making music since '98 and found out about chords, scales and other stuff by myself)

Also, using chords is a good thing.

ahh oki doke.

same with me obviously. i started making midi music when i was about 13 or so. Earlier maybe?

Well, for what it's worth, there is a huge contrast between myself and Mark Klem.

Now, granted, I last did "Doom Work" in 1996 or 97... so... Anything else now is outside the confines of general midi *thank GOODNESS*.

I've played piano since I was four and am "trained" from a classical and contemporary point of view. I'll be 33 this month.

Mark Klem doesn't play piano. I don't even think he has a keyboard.

The method that he uses is somewhat alien to me; much like my method blows him away. Personally, I like his music better than mine; there's technicality there that I (from laziness) do NOT duplicate because I'm Playing the notes in; wehreas he is meticulously PLACING the notes in.

Which way is easier?

He takes much longer on songs than I do (admittedly, sometimes you can hear that I needed to spend much more time on mine, but alas...).

Anyways... just a little tidbit for you there. ;)

You can still find my MIDIs here: http://www.doomworld.com/tolwyn

Wish MP3.com was still around. :(

Sorry but i have no idea who you are Tolly :P but i've just heard a bunch of your MIDIs, and i personally think you should get into tracking... i like your stuff, and think it would sound even more awesome if you tracked music instead (dunno if it's because i don't have a kick ass soundcard).. btw, i can hear you're an experienced musician, compared to someone i know who's only been into music making for a couple of months or so..

I think i could be better at making music myself (on the computer at least), and my problem is that my head is filled with music, but since i'm a death metal person, music made on a computer just doesn't cut it, and i also don't know how to put my thoughts down on paper in an effective way. ANother thing is that it's almost impossible to find anyone to start a band with. So yeah, it's pretty frustrating to be me :P

I don't do much anymore. I have a full-fledged digital recording studio, though. So, MOD work really isn't my bag. ;)

bah, you old people and your money :P let's switch bags...you can have my bag full of mod, and i can have your bag with the recording studio :)