Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

Is E4 a "possesed" version of E1?

When I was young I used to think that when id made the maps for Ultimate Doom they must have just played around with maps from E1, rearanged and retextured them. One reason was because the intermission screen was the same as E1s. Another reason was because of this: http://www.wackyhq.com/stuff/e4ise1/

I saw the E4 hallway and was confused at first, because I remembered it having a more E1 texture style. Then I remembered. There was a hallway just like it in E1! Years later I learned about the basics of map editing and assumed that it was just designed that way. But then I started thinking, what if E4 was meant to be some twisted remake of E1 after the base had been completly taken over by demons? Does anyone else have any similarities between the 2 episodes?

I personally don't think that it is, of course I could be wrong. But, if you look at all the maps that were released even during "that time", you would probably find many structures that have the same basic look as other maps. As you well know many mappers would "appropiate" some of their ideas from other maps. So who knows?

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I really dont think they re-made episode 1. The similarities are faint and probably happend on accident. After builing soo many levels you tend to repeat ideas.

Perhaps the level authors were influenced by the original Doom levels? Let's not forget that it is episode 1 that was played by so many, being the shareware.
I spotted, for instance, similairities in level e4m9 and in Master Levels Attack-noticed the yards with basins filled with water?-characteristic element for Tim Willit's Doom levels.

Even if some of the map ideas came from or were influenced by E1, the story, sky texture, and end pic clearly place E4 on Earth rather than on the Phobos moon base. E4 was conceived as a sort of DOOM II "preview" and is meant to happen after you emerge from hell but before you get involved with the whole "free the starbase" quest that leads to the rest of DOOM II.

The end text also reconfirms that idea when it says "Besides, somebody was gonna pay for what happened to Daisy, your pet rabbit", whose head you see impaled on a spike outside an Earth city at the end of E3, and you are holding in the end graphic for E4 (what was the doom guy's pet rabbit doing on Earth, though?).

Quasar said:

the story, sky texture, and end pic clearly place E4 on Earth rather than on the Phobos moon base.

Heh, where on Earth does E4M2 take place? :P

Quasar said:

(what was the doom guy's pet rabbit doing on Earth, though?)

Maybe he was forced to leave it behind, in a friend's care, when he first left? After all, without propper precautions, it could have ruined his transport...

"A loose animal aboard this ship could get anywhere. It could get into the air ducts. It could get into the computer. You know, a little nibble here and a little nibble there, and before you know it we're flying backwards."

(slightly edited quote from Red Dwarf, series one, episode one: 'The End')

The answer is no.

Anyway, those screenshots are way too big and way too dark for the Internet.

E4 is just maps; storywise it's inconsistent... if anything it's the Player's trip from Hell to Earth, although that's not consistent in regards to the end screen for Episode 3 (which says THE END in huge red letters anyway.)

It's just an additional episode appended at the end of the IWAD... kind of like an official PWAD. Its not there to "make sense" otherwise.

like i said, people are starting to sound like those starwars nerds.

there is very little about the doom games that makes any sence. look at the levels, they only slightly resemble their name sakes. well some try to look like somthing.
things that make no sence

EI sky, phobos is little more than a space rock. there is no way, or even a reason, to terra form it. its not worth wastin brain power thinking about.

the weapons. only 2 futuristic weapons. the rest are somewhat modern. the original rifle looked more WW II'ish and the zombies have a 1 shot rifle

the enemies Hell, Phobos, teleporters, and all the rest. just what you need for a basic shooter. 1 good guy and a shit load of badies. Why would hell bother with 2 moons on mars? why not make a direct assault on earth. ok ok doom II. if doom's sales sucked i dout we would have even seen doom II

the maps - i dont see where "hanger" comes into play in E1M1? while some maps "looked" like a base or certian area. most didnt.

In part thats what made doom great. it didnt try to pour in a story. it was a pure shooter and it was pure fun. trying to give this game (or its story) an other meaning is pointless.

When I first played Doom I sure didn´t think "it´s just a pure shooter and the settings don´t make sense at all". It wouldn´t be as intriguing if you were constantly thinking nothing makes any sense.

Tetzlaff said:

When I first played Doom I sure didn´t think "it´s just a pure shooter and the settings don´t make sense at all". It wouldn´t be as intriguing if you were constantly thinking nothing makes any sense.

Heh me too! Thanks for reminding me, after being on Doomworld so long, the cynicalism had nearly made me forget :D

Scuba Steve said:

Heh, the same should be said about Suburbs and Downtown.

Don't YOUR suburbs have at least one huge acid pit? I could have sworn it was in most states' zoning laws.

I always thought Phobos made sense. I mean, I wondered why I was surrounded by mountains, then I saw you were in a crate in the map screen. I always thought the atmosphere of Doom 1 was great. it fits together with a story. Just use a bit of imagination.

Maybe they turned water into acid in the town levels?

Quasar said:

E4 was conceived as a sort of DOOM II "preview" and is meant to happen after you emerge from hell but before you get involved with the whole "free the starbase" quest that leads to the rest of DOOM II.

Wait, you free a starbase in doom2?

I always hated the green and brown art direction maps from that time took (Ultimate Doom, Doom 2). :(

Such questions about continuality and timeline are just ridiclous though. I mean, why the hell is there a chasm filled with slime in hell in Doom 2?

insertwackynamehere said:

One reason was because the intermission screen was the same as E1s.

Were you playing Doom 95? The E4 intermission screen is supposed to be a gray version of Doom 2's.

Gokuma said:

Were you playing Doom 95? The E4 intermission screen is supposed to be a gray version of Doom 2's.

Yeah, Doom95. Heh all these years I thought id was too lazy to make a new screen. How do I remedy this?

Ultraviolet said:

Don't YOUR suburbs have at least one huge acid pit? I could have sworn it was in most states' zoning laws.

Well down here in California.....

Ultraviolet said:

I have an acid pit in my suburbs.I also Have a School with Huge Chunks of Skulls that are really elevators.

Quasar said:

Err, star port, sorry.

There is a starport???? I thought i was still in some kind of UAC base.

XXoXX said:

There is a starport???? I thought i was still in some kind of UAC base.

Read the god damned text after you beat map06.

And no, I don't think E4 is a possessed E1. I don't really care either way. It's a game.

insertwackynamehere said:

Yeah, Doom95. Heh all these years I thought id was too lazy to make a new screen. How do I remedy this?

Umm, not use Doom95? :D