Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom2day

Back in the days of Dos ...

Back in the days of dos [Remember this? C:\> ]everything was simple, it was just you, the shareware version of doom and the damn command prompt. only if you could downgrade windows xp down to dos 6.0. I had more fun with dos than with windows. And if everyone had an secondary computer with only dos, doom and doom 2 and their preferred dos based editor, we would be more happy in this thing that we call life. And by the way, i am only 14.5 years old.

if you have 2 harddrives, disconnect the one with Windows XP on it and install Dos on the other one. Then connect the XP drive again.
Most newer BIOS'es have the option of choosing a boot device during system start. Your computer should say so during startup so when it starts, press F11 and choose the drive you installed Dos on, that should make your computer start up in pure dos mode...

newer soundcards don't work in Dos though...

doom2day said:
only if you could downgrade windows xp down to dos 6.0. I had more fun with dos than with windows.

I have Windows 98 on this machine... which is (most of) both worlds in one place.

I have an old Pentium 120 with 32 megs of ram, a gig worth of hard drive space, Sound Blaster 16, and DOS 6.22. Currently it's the only computer in the house that can run the Crusader games - and I actually got MBF running on it at some point, then decided that it was pointless. I now use it to play Powerslave, Apocolypse Abyss, among others.

Yep... having a P120 with Win95 and DOS installed is the way to go. ALWAYS have one lying around. I still have bucketloads of outdated games which are still fun to play.

Specifically, games like The 7th Guest(& The 11th Hour) and Carmageddon simply refuse to run in anything newer than Win98...

If you know how to use batch files, you can make it even easier to start your favorite dos based editor (DCK) Since the computer boots from a floppy disk to get sound and cd rom support, i can make a batch file on the start up disk so i can start dck in any directory by typing DCK. Batch files are fun.

Yeah, since I got my PC upgraded DETH just plain doesn't like my monitor, so now I have to use it in pure DOS on my laptop, which is quite worthless.

doom2day said:

if everyone had an secondary computer with only dos, doom and doom 2 and their preferred dos based editor, we would be more happy in this thing that we call life.

Amen brother!

I'll never get to grips with this new-fangled DOS stuff. CP/M forever!

I've got a few old machines with proper DOS support. I use them mainly for some of the old DOS ports that don't run at all in XP.

Nothing beats a DOS partition, but DOSBox is a nice alternative.

I'm not sure if i miss using different DOS startups for EMM386/Non-EMM386 games. Man, that was a pain in the arse even with the option to choose setup in the autoexec.bat.

I used to use DOSSHELL.EXE to create links toward specific PWADs for Doom so i didn't have to fuss with all the command line variables. It basically created a primative Windows Start Menu of sorts and sure beat the stuffing out of Windows 3.11.

o yea well i made my own operating system with only a hex editor and edlin so there noobs i am approximately 167 years old bow down

Ultraviolet said:

o yea well i made my own operating system with only a hex editor and edlin so there noobs i am approximately 167 years old bow down

I made mine with a Peanut and the stolen Half Life 2 source code.

heh, i keep a 486DX120Mhz system around for my DOS needs. also had a pentium 166 around here too but my cousin is useing it now. i might as well use one of those systems and make a doom server. i had one like that a while back. however i needed it for something at the time and it got scraped.
today a guy at work asked me about game servers. i did try running a doom3 server, basicly the same as quake3 as far as i can tell

doom2day said:

And by the way, i am only 14.5 years old.

WOW. Here let me get your medal.

The only bad thing I know about DOS, is that PCI soundcards fail it.

Pentium 100MHz
s3 Trio64v+ 1mb
SB Awe64
32MB RAM
1337mb hd

Solid DOS gaming system right there.

not true..newer PCI soundcards fail...older ones don't...i used to have an Avance Logic soundcard in my 100mhz computer and it worked perfectly in dos (since it was designed for it)..

gargoylol said:

The only bad thing I know about DOS, is that PCI soundcards fail it.

Pentium 100MHz
s3 Trio64v+ 1mb
SB Awe64
32MB RAM
1337mb hd

Solid DOS gaming system right there.

as i said before that sound card was fucking awsome. if you make a system for classic gaming it is a must have! search the planet for it, ebay may not be a good idea. also add in a voodoo 2GFX card, or 2.

personaly i have never found a better card for old school DOS and midi stuff. the AWE 32/64 was by far my favorite for years

AFADoomer said:

I can run the orginal doom.exe fine on my XP Professional machine... with sound...

Dosbox, right?