Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Euronymous

Doom 3. scary?

So, I'm in hell at the moment, so far, I've been extremely disapointed with the scaryness of the game. This is not to say I don't like the game, it's great, I'm just disapointed that it hasn't been scary. So far 2 things have scared me, looking in the mirror in mars city post invasion and a random zombie jumping out at me. Delta labs 1 had great atmoshphere and I wish there was more stuff like that. Anyway, I'm rambling, anyone else agree that the game isn't scary?

Honestly, the game dissappointed me in the "Fear" department. I was never really scared. Sometimes I'd be put on edge from being low on health and ammo and just knowing that an arch vile is around the corner, but otherwise I wasn't really scared. I was expecting Silent Hill caliber, and all I got was lousy ol' Resident Evil fear levels.

I still had fun playing the game, though.

Yeah, as I say, this isn't me criticising(sp) how good the game is, it's been great so far, with a great rhythem, very much like classic doom. Silent Hill Vs Resi is a great comparison, Silent Hill got inside your head, that's what I was hoping doom 3 would be like.

I was hoping it would be more...nasty.

I think this is the problem with having played Doom since I was 8, I don't think they would be allowed to put something out capable of scaring me ;)

I think it's much scarier when you have surround sound speakers. You can hear babies crying and footsteps everywhere and stuff like that.

The game wasn't horrifying, I mean, it didn't give me nightmares. But there were some parts that made me a little tense and sometimes made me jump (the first time I played it). The only things that really got to me were the voices (not Betruger though). Hearing the weird voices in the walls, etc...

It's the usual "things jumping out at you" type of scares. If you havent played many games like that, then you may find it frightening.

Doom 3 was a little scary for me at the beginning. Playing it with the lights turned off and the sound turned up was an experience. Nonetheless its a very good game and one that really pushes your CPU to the max. Its one of the few games that actually calls for at least 1.5ghz processor at the bare minimum.

Linguica said:

I jumped the first time I opened a door and an imp leaped at me. The 58th time it happened, not so much.

Me too. Although the 59th time got me.

AirRaid said:

Me too. Although the 59th time got me.

haha :)

I think the problem was predictability, you know that in a non PDA/safe room armour/ammo = monsters teleporting in. I got out of hell last night and in delta again, good tension, hope it keeps it up.

I was on edge for days after finishing the game. I guess I one of those guys who actually think that Doom is somewhat scary.

Did I find the game scary? Honestly, no.

However, id certainly got the atmosphere right; very moody and very dark. Although it didn't make me jump out of my skin, I just loved the dark ambience of the game.

D3 actually suprised me in delivering more frights and suspense than the AVP games. Definitly got the pulse racing, and i've jumped so many times my knee is bruised to shit.

Incidently, the only thing more unnerving than a room full of monsters is an empty room...

Sometimes when I played Silent Hill in the dark with headphones on, I would simply not want to proceed any further in the game. It was that creepy and got into my head that much. Doom 3 never really made me feel that way. Heck, to be honest, Doom PSX beats Doom 3 in this category, IMO (it's the music and the revised hell levels).

To me, doom3 is scary. BUT only if you play at night (3am) GOOD headphones, and only 2 or 3 hours.

I hope new good levels with HIGHT scary elements arrives soon!! :) Doom3 has good potencial...

Rom said:

Heck, to be honest, Doom PSX beats Doom 3 in this category, IMO (it's the music and the revised hell levels).

The PSX Doom soundtrack was awesome, I've said it time and time again. One of the best video game scores ever.

But as Naitguolf amd many others said, Doom 3 has so much potential the mind boggles. *imagines* Remake Quake 1 (Trent Reznor's music and all) using the Doom 3 engine *drool*...

Whoever was saying Doom3 was super scary when it first came out is a total pussy. I've never actually felt 'scared' playing the game. It has a few cheap jumpy moments, like when imps or chainsaw zombies charge out of the shadows, but that's about as 'scary' as it's gottten. Playing it in the dark is no different, for me.

There were a couple of moments I was was startled, I dunno about scared. Imp in the mirror and a few of the other scripted sequences. Some of the noises/areas I did find unsettling. I actually think they did as good a job as possible with the atmosphere. The game can only give as good as you have imagination to embrace and furnish it. I often think many so-called shortcomings simply come from gamers thinking it will all be done for them and not bothering to play the game in a way that will fully immerse them.

On the flip side, I mean come on you're a grown man, you should be able to deal with a computer game right? Plus most doomworlders are totally down with the whole Doom thing already so it's not like we've never seen a mancubus before.

pritch said:

There were a couple of moments I was was startled, I dunno about scared. Imp in the mirror and a few of the other scripted sequences. Some of the noises/areas I did find unsettling. I actually think they did as good a job as possible with the atmosphere. The game can only give as good as you have imagination to embrace and furnish it. I often think many so-called shortcomings simply come from gamers thinking it will all be done for them and not bothering to play the game in a way that will fully immerse them.

On the flip side, I mean come on you're a grown man, you should be able to deal with a computer game right? Plus most doomworlders are totally down with the whole Doom thing already so it's not like we've never seen a mancubus before.

On an off topic note, I love the original mancubus noise being in the game ;).

I find it highly immersive, I have a damn good imagination, hell, back in the day I used to run around my house all day "shotgun" in hand, blasting back demons ;).

The silent hill comparison, i'll say again, is a good one, I wanted a game that was very close to being too scary to play.

That game scared the shit out if me I died in the first level, because when the Imp wacked me my gun kept swinging around. But I'm new to these type of games. When i finished playin I found out I was crying... I'm not sure why, I didn't get nightmares or anything

Doom 3 was far scarier to me than any Doom game before it. The classics just weren't scary.

There are probably other games out there scarier than Doom 3 though.

IM 11YEARS OLD AND I PISSED IN MY PANTS(not litterally)!!!!! I HAVE THE DEMO AND I THINK IM IN MARS CITY AFTER THE DEMON THING.but the wierd thing was when i got off i closed my eyes and i saw the cyberdemon in hell.

if u hear voices and your game gliches well... ur gonna find that out for yourself and the flash light thing..the game is trying to contact u its got nothing to do with playing the game

I dont think 11 year olds are allowed to post here, assuming you are actually 11 like you said earlier.

Eh, the classics were scary enough back when I was a complete newbie. I was also 10, and the next best game was wolf3d, but even so, consider:

strobing lights from brightly lit to complete dark
demon sounds from all around you
not knowing how to navigate, where to go
monsters teleporting in PANIC PANIC PANIC