Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ph0b0s

Do you have the Intel 82845G chipset? Discuss it here

Ok, so I just bought DOOM 3 today.
It's performance on my machine is horrible. The first in-game movie is choppy, and gameplay is near imposible. To emphasize that, I have barely gotten past the guy on the bench who says "I gotta get outta here...".

Now, I've been doign a lot of sniffing around about the grpahics cards. I see now that the really fast ATI and nVidia card are recommended. My computer is 2.5ghz Pentium IV with 512mb of RAM, and my video card is just the generic Intel 82845G card that came with computer. The card isn't the hottest card out there, but it's served me well since my family got this computer back late December.

Ok, so with the ground info out of the way, my question is regarding the drivers. Apparently my current graphics driver or card doesnt support directx 9.0 ALL the way, yet DOOM 3 requires 100% directx 9.0 compatibility. Does anybody know, is this a problem with the driver or the chipset? Do you kow of any way I could find a good driver compaitble with my Intel card that fully supports directx 9.0, or if there is another form of directx that my driver and DOOM 3 would cooperate with?

Thanks for reading this, and sorry for a peculiar question...

Dude, you NEED an actual graphics card. Another 512MB of RAM wouldn't hurt either.

But no, until you get a real graphics card, there's no way around that problem.

hmm, thank you.
i was hoping there would be some way to play for now...i'll look into it more, but getting an actual graphics card is very appealing sounding.

now i gotta find me that money...

OK, so my computer is running off of the Intel 82845G chipset for graphics, and I don't have a "real" graphics card like Radeon or geForce or anything like that. It's become apparent that I am gonna need one of those to play my copy of DOOM 3, sooo...

I have been reading a lot of threads on this forum where people have complained about DOOM not running or not performing well on their quality graphics cards. This leaves me a little confused as to what card I should try and get...

Does anybody have any recommendations as to what card I might want?
Thanks.

it all depends on your budget and how demanding you are of performance. most ppl fall into the $200 budget range (like me) cause im not a hardcore gamer so its not a good idea for me to invest $600-$800 on a top end card just to play a couple games.

if you decide on nVIDIA go with the GeForce FX5700 and up and try getting 256MB.
if you decide on ATI go with the Radeon 9xxx and up 256MB ideal.

make sure you got an AGP slot 8X compatible b4 considering buying anything!

check newegg.com and ebay. good prices.

thank you for the graphics card info!

Actually, I kinda got the game to work... I had overlooked one of those special effects options, but now that they ALL off, it can run on Low and Medium quality, but it can get a tad choppy with a lot of monsters. It can freeze up sometimes on full screen though, so I am playing it half screen. However, I really wish those school special effect were in there, and that I could play full screen hassle free. While I wait till I have enoguh to spare on a reasonably priced graphics card I guess I'll jsut keep checkign around to see what new patches come out and whatever else comes up to improve performance.

thanks,
staph

you will never get any great preformance on an intel based graphics card. it simply is not made to handle that stuff.

i have the ATI9600XT, a good card that you can find for about $120.

i get this every day from people asking about intel "exream" graphics. other than being "extreamly" cheap or "extreamly" horrible there is nothing exream about them. depending on the system you may not be able to get a good graphics card. first check to see if you have AGP, if you bought a lower end system you may not.

if you only have PCI you are limited on what you can get. like a ATI 9200 or the geforce FX5200. the gefroceFX 5700 is a great card. also the 9800Pros have come down in price

Thanks for all that info, I'll keep an eye out for that 9600 next time I am at MicroCenter or something. Heh, don't worry, my family I get this computer for the cracked up "intel extreme graphics", heh.

Sephiroth said:

i have the ATI9600XT, a good card that you can find for about $120.

If you still manage to stumble upon this reply...does the 9600 card support the directx 9.0 DOOM 3 uses? I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't...

Yes it does. And it runs the game just fine. You'll get choppiness here and there, but you wont miss out on anything.