Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

PSP 7 problems

I'm busy modifying a bunch of sprites which require me to brighten certain areas. This was a fairly easy task to do in my old paint program, sadly, that program doesn't work with WinXP so I've got my hands on PSP 7. But apparently, PSP 7 insists that such a simple task should be as hard to do as human possible.

I've found a function that brightens the entire image, but not only do I not want to brighten the whole image, but the function also alters the palette which is a big no-no when altering Doom sprites. I need to, at the very least, alter the brightness of the colours while sticking to the colours already in the palette.

Next, I found that the retarded 'touch up' tool, which in this case can be used to manually brighten areas, only works in 24-bit images, so I reluctantly convert my Doom sprite to a 24-bit image and try out this dumbass tool, only to find that, unlike the brightness tool in my old paint program, this retarded thing brightens pixels I just brightened with the same tool, making it ridiculously complicated to use.
I guess I could use it like this, but I'm hoping there's a better, easier and faster way to do it, so if any of you people know an efficient way to brighten specific areas, don't hold yourself back.

It is annoying that PSP only allows the use of those tools at 24 or 32 bit, but you can re-apply the doom palette when you've finished brightening those areas. It's not a particularly accurate way to do it, but it usually works.

DooMAD said:

It is annoying that PSP only allows the use of those tools at 24 or 32 bit, but you can re-apply the doom palette when you've finished brightening those areas. It's not a particularly accurate way to do it, but it usually works.

Yeah I figured that out half an hour ago, but it doesn't really solve the other issue I had: That I can't just click-and-drag, without further brightening pixels I've already brightened - the end result of doing that is just butt-ugly.

I could imagine that it's some setting I have to apply to prevent it from further brightening already brightened pixels, but if I'm unlucky here, it might just be the way PSP works and that just plain sucks if that's the case.

Thanks for your help anyway.

I'm pretty sure it's the "build up" box, but it always seems to be greyed out with that tool and I can't understand why. PSP8 has a "continuous" option that does the same thing, except that it actually works.

Try using the selection tools to select just the area you want to brighten, then use the general image brightness tool, and it should apply it only to the selected area.