Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baron

Cartoonified sprites

A few nights ago out of boredom, I started drawing cartoony versions of doom enimies...well 2 anyway. Just the player and caco actually.
Anyway, I drew most of the appropriate angles for the caco and tried it ingame...the results were mildly amusing?!
a sample of the frames:

I dunno if i'm gonna go anywhere with this though, as I said it was just out of boredom.

(note: the sweatdrip frames are pain frames :P)

I just drew 'em in paint shop pro as bigger pics (about 300x300 originally)
and compared the poses / expressions to the originals while drawing them. then resized 'em down and applied the doom color palette to them.

I think I'll make a new death animation(s) though, rather than having it the same as the original but drawn in this style.

It looks really cool. You could make a Comic DOOM mod as Azriel said. The map would be easy, just something linear, not very detailed.

Vegeta said:

It looks really cool. You could make a Comic DOOM mod as Azriel said. The map would be easy, just something linear, not very detailed.

Why not make everything cartoonish and then you've got a really nice mod there. If he would do that then I'm willing to help with making levels.

And maybe you can make it to where a little word thing pops up whenever theres an important sound (such as a gunfire or a switch is pulled). Example: When an imp throws a fireball a comicly designed word can pop up such as "FWOOSH" by the imp that threw it. :)

I had this idea originally - it would be for Edge so I could make the effects work. But in the end, it would add silly little cartoon sound effects to all the weapons and events, just like in "XIII". So you could see/hear the SOCK of a punch, BOOM for the rockets, a tapping of footsteps...I could help out with the special effects if you don't mind them being EDGE only.

I was gonna make a cell-shaded IWAD replacement too once, with very stylised and cartoonified enemies, and textures that are simplified, and new levels of course. But i couldnt be bothered, plus there are already two other IWAD replacements,,,

Rom said:

Cool. Reminds me of the cartoonified cacodemon from Barista. Although, I think like yours better.

Interesting use of ACS HUD's in that WAD, IIRC the number of bullets you had was displayed on your gun in a little window, or something, and your whole HUD was inside a space marine helmet.

Old thread revival, but in this case I have something of importance to say, actually show.

8-bit Doom Marine (looks pretty cartoonified)
Gimme C&C mates.

Showing off as always. Don't steal the thread N...
Anyways, good too see you've made progress THIS FAR. I mean it, I'm Impressed, mate.