Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darkstalker

NASA fails again

If you haven't watched the news in the last 20 mins, you might not have heard the newest failure from NASA. Genesis just crash landed on Earth. The parachute did not deploy and there's a good chance that the cargo it held is now totally useless. There's more on CNN.

Lord FlatHead said:

Uh-oh. I smell Sun Germs.

Well at least it will wipe out the Mormons first.

It's shit like this that proves exactly why these idiots never put a man onto the moon.

OH NOES!!

The planet is going to be turned into a 1980's CG rendition of itself!!! And just wait until the Klingons show up!

They put months and month and months and millions and millions and millions of dollars into that probe through scientific research and mechanics and what makes it crash? A FAULTY PARACHUTE! Seems like NASA needs to go back to the basics and work their way back up...

There are definitely a lot of NASA workers out there crying today...

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Man will not "conquer" space as some would like to believe.

May we someday reach Mars and maybe even beyond the asteroid belt? Probably. But we will die on this rock, no question.

POTGIESSER said:

It's shit like this that proves exactly why these idiots never put a man onto the moon.

moron

There is no motivation for man to “conquer” space and if cheesy Japanese animation has taught us anything its that by the time we do get the motivation it will be to late.

Black Hand said:

There is no motivation for man to “conquer” space

The hell there isn't. Overpopulation, declining recources. The motivation is there and a great number of people want humanity to colonize other worlds...such as Mars...and beyond.

Once you realize that everyone isn't going to say "hey, you know what? We've got it pretty good, life is ok". You'd know that nothing is going to be ok obviously...everything must always be better, faster, stronger.

In short, buisness drives technological advances and vice versa. If there is profit to be had it's gonna happen, or at least some attemt to make it so...

Although though I would love to see the day we hit some theoretical technological wall. We're not going to stop.

Quast said:

The hell there isn't. Overpopulation, declining recources. The motivation is there and a great number of people want humanity to colonize other worlds...such as Mars...and beyond.

What I meant was that there wont be any huge motivation to "conquer" space until the population of the world actually surpasses the spherical mass of the world. I agree there absolutely WILL be an appropriate amount of motivation to drive humanity into space in the future but that time has not come yet, obviously.

I thought I had implied all this with my reference cheezy anime but its my fault to assume that any of you even watch such programs.

I dont suppose you've read the "red mars" trilogy?

Ah, I understand what you're trying to say now. I agree somewhat. The BIG push wouldn't come until it's almost too late.

But, who knows what the next 50 years will bring...seeing as bush wants us to go to mars. Why? because we can, or "should".....whatever

I don't see any logical reason to. There is hardly any reason to be in space in the first fucking place.

I look upon anime with scorn.

We shouldnt use outer space as a 'pressure valve' until we sort out every single problem on this planet first!"

-A christian

And when they say it won't happen...it will!

Yea I was waiting for someone to link to that. ; p

You realize that the equipment necessary to mine that crystal in addition to the equipment necessary to make a round trip to and from the crystal itself combined with the limited carrying capacity for any mined crystal would pretty much drive the "motivation" right into the ground.

But you didn’t mean for that article to be taken so seriously so, heh.

Numbermind said:

Those scientists hippies :D Wasn't the austropolitehnsesses...blah also name Lucy after Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

Picture yourself in a boat by a river
Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers
That grow so incredibly high
(do do do do do do)
Cellophane flowers of yellow and green
Towering over your head
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes and she's gone
(Do do dooo do)
Lucy in the sky with diamonds!
Ohhhhh Ohhhhh

^^
Gratuitous lyrics :D

Yeah, we need that compressed carbon for more wedding rings. Even if it were feasable to make an attempt at that, anything getting near it would be smashed flat onto the surface because of gravity.

fuck weddings

"So remember, when your feeling small and insecure, and how amazing and unlikely is your birth, and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, cause there's bugger all down here on earth!"

POTGIESSER said:

GO BACK TO YOUR SHED WITH THE TIN FOIL ROOF

Also, you damn pessemists never cease to amaze me with your constat prophesies of doom and self-loathing. You need to realise that the world is full of great stuff like love and drugs and women and hugs and X-Boxes and music and small, cuddly animals and aquamarines and sex and snow and duct tape and breasts and hacky sacks and novels and knee-high boots and lava lamps and trenchcoats and more hugs. Theres just a few assholes like The Dubya that are trying to bring us down and you're falling into their trap what with their world domination plans and low-carb diets. In the immortal words of the MST3K theme song, "you should really just relax". Oh yeah, thats another great thing...MST3K. Man, I miss that show.

Also, anime sucks.

Danarchy said:

GO BACK TO YOUR SHED WITH THE TIN FOIL ROOF

Just because you live in one, doesn't mean the rest of us should.

Danarchy said:

Also, you damn pessemists never cease to amaze me with your constat prophesies of doom and self-loathing. You need to realise that the world is full of great stuff like love and drugs and women and hugs and X-Boxes and music and small, cuddly animals and aquamarines and sex and snow and duct tape and breasts and hacky sacks and novels and knee-high boots and lava lamps and trenchcoats and more hugs. Theres just a few assholes like The Dubya that are trying to bring us down and you're falling into their trap what with their world domination plans and low-carb diets. In the immortal words of the MST3K theme song, "you should really just relax". Oh yeah, thats another great thing...MST3K. Man, I miss that show.

Also, anime sucks.

The destruction of our society is the inevitable, and that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the majority of wonderful things you've mentioned.

Society, sure. But wo needs society as long as we have each other. And anyone who believes the moon landing was faked is a looney.