Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scrum

Finished my map: SC_WASTE

-Try to darken it a bit.
-Replace that ugly sky wall textures with the infinite horizont trick (no source port required for it)
-Implement the variation on the skill settings.

Other than that, very good.

As Vegeta said setup skill level items and replace the wall with sky.

I noticed the switch near the yellow key isn't aligned properly. I also personally think the "comp01" floor is ugly at least in the two rooms with the nuke pits. Maybe "floor0_5" would look better? Also you can delete the sectors that AREN'T the windows in the bottom right corner of the map.

Other than those little things, I like how it played, I reminds me of some of the Episode 1 maps of the origional Doom.

imdoomed said:

As Vegeta said setup skill level items and replace the wall with sky.

I noticed the switch near the yellow key isn't aligned properly. I also personally think the "comp01" floor is ugly at least in the two rooms with the nuke pits. Maybe "floor0_5" would look better? Also you can delete the sectors that AREN'T the windows in the bottom right corner of the map.

Other than those little things, I like how it played, I reminds me of some of the Episode 1 maps of the origional Doom.

Yeah I agree with you, those floors are pretty ugly. How do I do the infinite sky trick by the way?

Scrum said:

How do I do the infinite sky trick by the way?

I think I know how this trick works, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Basically, when you have a window, you create a box outside of it and apply the sky texture to the bottom and top of the box while not applying a texture to the walls. This causes the sky to fill in the blank spots where the walls would be. This trick works with other sectors too, not just windows, like a courtyard for instance.

I've noticed that when replacing the floor AND ceiling with the sky texture it sometimes causes HOM effects. Ofcourse I think this is a bug thats only on vanilla doom although I could be wrong.

Yeah, it does sometimes. I forgot exactly how to simulate that bug, but I know it's there... Not sure if it's just in Vanilla Doom.exe either.

I just played the map and noticed a few things:

1. The Yellow door has HOMs where the door traks should be.

2. Most secret areas don't give you secret credit (maybe they're not really secrets?)

3. I used Lagacy in software mode and noticed that the lava texture is not being displayed right, like when you apply a step texture to something more the 16 units high.

Nothing major. The map itself is good. Its fun to play and everything looks good except for the switch mentioned earlier. My favorite part is the exit, I like how it looks.

The easiest way to explain the infinite sky trick is to see it. Open your Doom editor and look at the area with the shotgun in Map 1 of Doom 2. Notice the wall that you can't get to without clipping enabled? The farthest sector here has infinite sky. Basically a wall with no texture that has the same height for the floor and ceiling, with the sky texture as the ceiling only.