Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raziel

How good will my computer run it?

1800 Athlon XP+
640 MB PC-133 RAM
Geforce 4 TI4600 4X AGP

just wondering.

actually, that's not what my computer is right now, but that's the most it can be upgraded to (for some reason, one of my memory banks doesn't register more then 128mb of ram even with a 512 stick and the last one just doesn't plain work at all.

Just wondering how good it'll run with those.

oh, and I have no spyware/viruses on my computer. and i have made it so only the bare minimum required for win xp pro to run are loaded so it takes up less ram.

It will run at a playable speed, but you'll have to keep the settings pretty low (possibly their lowest). You'll also miss out on some special effects due to your video card.

Edit: You can take a look at this article for a better idea on how it will run on your hardware.

Amaster said:

You'll also miss out on some special effects due to your video card.

What effects are you talking about?

I believe the heat haze effect wont work on older video cards. I dont have the specifics on it though. Same probably goes for glass warping.

You CANNOT run Doom 3. You have a max of 1.4ghz for your processor. the minimum is 1.5. Your ram only registers 128. You need a minimum of ~340. Your graphic card is alright, could be better, but it matters not anyway so you might as well go buy an Xbox. ORANGE SODA?!

Azreal_X said:

You have a max of 1.4ghz for your processor.

Blargh, forgot AMD uses that funky numbering system.

Read what I posted in the other thread. CLOCK SPEED IS NOT EVERYTHING. The reason AMD processors are rated higher than their actual clock speed is because an Athlon XP 1500+ is at the very least equivalent to a Pentium 4 1.5GHz, and most of the time will outperform it.

Also, for what it's worth, the 1800+ has a clock speed of 1.53GHz.

Bloodshedder said:

Read what I posted in the other thread. CLOCK SPEED IS NOT EVERYTHING. The reason AMD processors are rated higher than their actual clock speed is because an Athlon XP 1500+ is at the very least equivalent to a Pentium 4 1.5GHz, and most of the time will outperform it.

Also, for what it's worth, the 1800+ has a clock speed of 1.53GHz.

so does that mean that I could use it? Because even though my ram is pc-133, i read it can support up to an athlon 1800xp

so would that be enough or does doom not care about those?

and i could live without the hazing effect

but why wouldn't geforce 4 ti 4600 perform that well? I mean, isn't that a decent enough card for doom 3? I mean. that's way way better then a geforce 3 ti200 isn't it?

tell me how it would run depending on if i had those upgraded computer specs please.

the card i'd be getting is a visiontek geforce 4 ti4600 agp 4X

it says i could run medium quality at 800X600. *shrugs*

I wish they'd release a demo so that we could test it out before buying it. Argh.

I'm really not sure what kind of an impact PC133 RAM will have versus DDR. Most likely, loading times would increase with PC133 memory, but as long as you're not swapping to and from memory during gameplay, it shouldn't affect your framerates too much.

A Geforce4Ti will run Doom 3 substantially better than a Geforce3, yes. And according to Tom Hollenshead, the demo should be out rather soon (possibly within 2 to 3 days).

Azreal_X said:

You CANNOT run Doom 3. You have a max of 1.4ghz for your processor. the minimum is 1.5. Your ram only registers 128. You need a minimum of ~340. Your graphic card is alright, could be better, but it matters not anyway so you might as well go buy an Xbox. ORANGE SODA?!

Bleh thats bs I have a 1.4 pentium 512 pc 133 ram and a geforce4 ti4600 and doom runs fine on my computer.

"Runs fine" is open to interperitation. A friend of mine has a 2.(something) ghz Pentium 4 with 512 pc133 and a recently aquired Geforce 4ti 4600 AGP 4x. The GRAPHICS run fine on medium quality (25-30fps), but whenever he opens a door, turns a corner into a new area, triggers a cinematic, or even when an enemy spawns the computer lags for 3 1/2 seconds as the game loads into his blazing fast 133mhz ram.

Doom 3 didn't run what I'd call anywhere near good when there were monsters in the view on my Athlon XP 1700+ with 512mb DDr and a Radeon 9800pro.
It worked fine as long as there were no models though.

i don't care.

just as long as i get a frame rate of 30 fps at least 70% of the time or so in 640X480 in medium quality I'll be fine.

Besides, I'm used to 30fps frame rates and 640X480 resolutions anyway thanks to my dreamcast/ps2/gc/xbox.

Bloodshedder said:

I'm really not sure what kind of an impact PC133 RAM will have versus DDR. Most likely, loading times would increase with PC133 memory, but as long as you're not swapping to and from memory during gameplay, it shouldn't affect your framerates too much.

Oh but it will. SDR RAM slays the framerates in Doom 3.

Oh and in relation to the procressor?

The back of my Doom 3 box said:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Pentium IV 1.5GHz or Athlon XP 1500+ processor or higher

So uh yeah people need to like, get their facts straight before shooting their mouth I think.

In other news, the heat haze effect will only work on native DX9 cards, so the Radeon 9x00 series or above, or the GeForce FX or above.

Jeez dude. Just trying to save someone from a more than likely upsetting gaming experience. If that's "shooting my mouth off" then damnit, I'll continue to do so. Yeah, my mistake. I thought the minimum cpu was 1.5ghz whatever, but there's no need to get offensive about it. Humanity is the one error I cannot correct.