Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iliveonthemoon

Constant flickering...

Hi all!

I have searched the rest of this forum, and as far as i know, noone else has reported this problem.

whenever i play doom 3, i get constant flickering. this is very annoying, and makes the game almost impossible to play. i get a good framerate though.

i am running:

AMD Athlon XP +2600
512MB RAM
GeForce FX 5600XT
Windows XP Home w/SP1

i have tried all Nvidia drivers from the 30.XX though to the latest 61.77 drivers, with no difference. also i have tried DirectX 9.0b and 9.0c.

any help would be very much appreciated.

Although i dont think it will help, try playing around with the antialiasing and vsync in the advances system options and your video card controls. Also if your overclocking your video card that may also be tthe problem.

I would suggest reinstalling your video card which will probably fix everything if doom was working well before.

Enter console and type:
r_finish 1 [Enter]
now turn off your vsync if you want higher framerates. The flickering should be gone for good.

I still find using 'Block Transfer' gives best performance with no flickering. Using r_finish 1 seems to knock over 5 fps off my timedemo.

I don't know what the issue is with thi flickering, is it a bug? or a problem with some cards or settings?.

Someone else try the 'Block Transfer' setting and see if it improves perfomance with out the flickering.

Where do I find "block transfer"? Is that a framebuffer setting? I'd love to run it without r_finish, as it does run faster. I absolutely know it's not a problem with the card, but it's something within the Doom engine, because if you look around a bit, you can slow down the flickering (hard to explain how, but it works)and you'll notice that it's not simply black lines. Theres one big black line with another black line under it that, whenever it passes over a surface, shades it like a stencil shadow would. Turning off shadows, however, only change the frequency of the flickering.

Got it. Block transfer gives superior framerates compared to r_finish. Kudos, WereAllDoomed! May the good Lord keep you happy.