Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

Something VERY strange in Doom...

I put the idea of going into the void and reappearing on the other side of the map to use in a (weird) demo. It is here, and lasts just over 2 minutes.

The zip includes a little wad that is required - a map01 replacement whose purpose is to turn the player into a zombie. I then squish this zombie to turn it into a ghost on each of the next three standard maps of Doom2. I had previously thought map04 to be impossible by this method, but the "all the way round the void" route works fine.

Recorded with glboom 2.2.4; plays back with Doom2.exe, Prboom, and Eternity.

DooMer87 said:

BREAKING NEWS
BREAKING NEWS
BREAKING NEWS
BREAKING NEWS
BREAKING NEWS

I suggest that the DooM level is round. I was in the void on E1M1, because i turned around FROM THE START and noclipped straight ahead. After a while, the exit was in front of me, i was on the side that you can see the switch to get outta there. Once again, DooMer87 suggests that the DooM level is ROUND.

Scott, dude, the level is flat, just like the world. What up scott? It's Mike.

Remember when an author would use all the doom tweaks to his advantage? I'm afraid we're gonna see this again.... which is good! I love those wads!

Grazza said:
I put the idea of going into the void and reappearing on the other side of the map to use in a (weird) demo.

Heh, it's funny seeing the speedrunning pool of guts in chase cam mode.

Kenny McCormick said:

Welcome to the 7th layer of Hell, n00bie. I think he means that the level is a circle, but still flat.

Yes i do. And Mike is my cousin.

doom2day said:

if you had a sector that covered the entire doom universe stretching to all four corners then you split it so you could play it. if it actually works, then you could run forever in any direction and pass by where you were on the way. So if you used the bfg in a direction and then stayed still, would it go around and hit you in the back? How about a rocket?

I think not, I seem to remember that if you manage to get in the path of your own rocket, it won't hit you, just keeps going as if you weren't there.

Well, today i unclipped and entered the unknown void. I wandered for a bit of time, walking forever onward, deep in a mist of messed up HOM shit. Eventually, i saw it... i saw it... a vast floor, and a vast ceiling. I saw it, people.

Okay i have an idea of what this 'vast' floor and ceiling stuff is. Its a bit hard for me to explain, but heres a try: You know when you unclip and go into a wall, you see the floor and ceiling of a close sector stretch on toward you? Well, that vast floor and ceiling is a sector of the wad your playing, because you reapear on the other side of the wad when you keep on going, and that vastness is the stretching of the floor and ceiling of a sector of the level. get me? no?

I'm disappointed. The thing that sectors are stretched inside the void once You look at them is a fact well known.
In other words-Meh.

okay fine, i guess THAT is not much of a mystery anymore, but how about the starfield effect i tell you, THE STARFIELD EFFECT??? how could someone, some being of cosmic knowledge, explain such a concept?

i just noticed that for some strange reason a. the starfield thing changes if you change the resolution (it works best in the highest ones) b. for some reason it stops showing in zdoom if you change any of the settings, WTF???!!!

THis looks like this could be the most posted thread in the forums. i am not an administrator or what but it is a lot (100+)

You DO realize there's a music thread in Blogs with well over a thousand posts, don't you?

Caco-Puff said:

Why did my perfectly acceptable reply get deleted?

What you might think as perfectly acceptable might be a candidate for deletion. I didn't see your post, nor did I delete it, but mods have to make judgment calls.

DooMer87 said:

when i say "heh" bloodshedder deletes my post.

This goes for you and any other forum member. One-word replies such as 'heh' 'rofl' 'lol' are neither useful nor amusing.

Shouldn't posts which consist entirely of a quote and nothing else count as deletable as well? They seem to be getting ever more frequent nowadays...

NiGHTMARE said:

Shouldn't posts which consist entirely of a quote and nothing else count as deletable as well? They seem to be getting ever more frequent nowadays...

I think it means the person is agreeing with the person he quoted.

well today i got bored and decided to take an exciting trip into the void again only this time i didn't turn on "turbo 256". so i was traveling and i got to the center, it was absolutely awesome. whenever i took a step forward/backward/totheside or something the whole view dramatically changed like in one place i saw a big wide-open room when i took a step forward the ceiling/floor/wall textures changed AND the room got much darker all of a sudden. i also took some screenshots for some reason. enjoy!

EDIT: oh yeah, click on any image to enlarge it

Try summoning an enemy in the void, they stand below you and you can walk on top of them without jumping. They don't attack though, like if they are trapped in a box.

I saw something out there...something while i was traveling. I think i saw a...sun. I still am convinced my boss is on the other side.

I have had times where pain elementals would somehow get lost souls trapped out in the void. I actually followed one once, and it didn't stop moving in the direction it spawned, it just kept on going and going. This was in vanilla.

Dron said:

i just noticed that for some strange reason a. the starfield thing changes if you change the resolution (it works best in the highest ones) b. for some reason it stops showing in zdoom if you change any of the settings, WTF???!!!

Well the oddness just keeps on coming, doesnt it. But i actually saw the starfield in vanilla doom. Like i said, i somehow was able to play an un-node built level in vanilla and in it i saw the majesty of the galactic starfield. From memory, it was the only time i was EVER able to play an unbuilt wad in vanilla. usually the game would crash and hook the computer up.

MasterOFDeath said:

I have had times where pain elementals would somehow get lost souls trapped out in the void. I actually followed one once, and it didn't stop moving in the direction it spawned, it just kept on going and going. This was in vanilla.

Enemies moving somewhat fast in Vanilla doom will go through the walls if it is too thin. This can be seen in CMAT where the authors purposely made the walls thicker so the enhanced enemies don't fly out of the map. But lost souls don't move very fast, so it is odd to see them out of the map.

It's not that the lost souls move through the wall, it's that the PE's death sequence can spawn them the other side of the wall to start with. This is rather a common occurrence, especially if the player is deliberately cramping the PE so as to prevent it from spawning lost souls into his face.

Heh, I never saw Lost Souls spawn outside the map because a PE died that particular way. I guess I have to try that out today. :D