Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SteelPH

Doom 3 on a Voodoo5500 is possible

The textures in some of those screenshots look like puke. Not just regular puke, but puke if it only had 8-bit support. Still, that is VERY reassuring for bad computers when a product that isn't even supported anymore can run Doom 3. =)

point is, D3 IS playable on a v5-5500, even if ya gotta tweak the shit outta it. have one and i always thought it an underestimated card

I wouldn't call that playable. Sure it runs, but the game is completely destroyed with those kind of graphics.

And of course the textures look like crap, its only showing the diffuse map - no bumps or specular for a start. And it only has Stencil shadows because they're calculated on the CPU...

AirRaid said:

I wouldn't call that playable. Sure it runs, but the game is completely destroyed with those kind of graphics.

And of course the textures look like crap, its only showing the diffuse map - no bumps or specular for a start. And it only has Stencil shadows because they're calculated on the CPU...

It can be played insofar as a hideous person can be fucked.

i remember wanting the voodoo5 until i got my geforce 2. then 3dfx went under.

i have fond memories of the voodoo2 though.

AirRaid said:

Yeah, just try playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault with the details turned down...it's more like it should be called "Saving Private Mutant". What would Doom 3 be called at that low a detail?

WildWeasel said:

Yeah, just try playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault with the details turned down...it's more like it should be called "Saving Private Mutant". What would Doom 3 be called at that low a detail?

Quake 2:Doom 3 edition

lol Never again will I complain about my 6800 GT being crippled by my Athlon XP 3000+, thus not being able to play on Ultra/1280x1024/16x AA...

Ecch. I saw those screenshots about a week ago and cringed. The lack of cubemapping support just kills the experience. Technically the game will run at around 35 fps on a Kyro II in 800*600 at medium quality*, but saying that it's the same as the game running on even a Geforce4 MX would be like arguing that Quake III with all of the details turned off is just like running it with those details on. I guess it's impressive for the driver writers to show what limits this old hardware can be pushed to, but I'd still tell them to go pick up a secondhand Geforce3 for $35.

* Or so I've heard. That's without shadows, too.

hey, i still have my old voodoo 5 5500 PCI card. granted, i dont use it anymore, im using a radeon 9800 XT 256 mb video card.

its still fun to see how some very dated hardware handles. and to be honest, it looks very good. its just missing the bumpmapping and the AA.

it certainly looks better than Half-Life did, when it came out (which i ran on a voodoo3, then upgraded to a voodoo 5 and ran with it all the way until last summer).

Ugh.. It's playable and the tweakers are 1337 for figuring this out but I didn't wait five years for an advanced graphics engine that would defy every other game engine to date for that :P

i looked at the prices for such cards. and they suck. i saw a new AGP voodoo 5 on pricewatch for $72. come on that is horrible. i can get a much better card for that price.

maybe for $20 i might pick one up for an older game rig. however i am just gonna grab 2 older voodoo2 or maybe a voodoo3 card for that

*sniff* I miss 3DFX. :(

I've been around since 3D acceleration first made it onto the scene with GLQuake. First 3D card I owned was a Diamond Monster 3D, which was a VooDoo 1. Even owned a Voodoo2, a Voodoo3, and a Voodoo 5.

It's too bad Nvidia bought them out.