Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
psyren

What about Duke?

Has anyone made a Duke Nukem TC for Doom? Yeah, I know many things would not work. Prolly also require a port and Dehacked patch, but still curious.

Mostly just pist because none of the Duke Nukem 3D programs I have downloaded will run at all.

Any input would be cool. :)

I tried and it's hard as fuck to do it. Even with ZDoom's enhanced features, it's still a pain in the ass to replicate every little detail.

It can load the maps/textures, but the effects aren't there, and room-over-room screws up due to BSP conversion limitations.

I got Duke 3d running in windows finally, only it won't recognise my sound card. Prolly just that I don't know anything about all the port and dma settings and the defaults won't work.

Just playing it a bit makes me think twice about this idea. A LOT of things different from Doom. Even using ZDoom tricks, most of the game would be impossible, (shrink rays, holoduke...)

Still, even just a few levels with the enemies and wav sounds I have ripped would be fun.

The textures are completely different also. Same standard sizes, mostly, but a different palette. XWE is trying to display them with the Doom2 palette and that doesn't work at all. IF I can get the Duke palette working, then maybe I can modify them and apply Doom's, but haven't figured that out yet.

after opening the file, select the entry Palette.dat, go to the Palette menu, and select Use Current.

psyren said:

Just playing it a bit makes me think twice about this idea. A LOT of things different from Doom. Even using ZDoom tricks, most of the game would be impossible, (shrink rays, holoduke...)

Still, even just a few levels with the enemies and wav sounds I have ripped would be fun.

Most of the effects could be done via scripting... Not sure about the shrink ray, but everything else could be...

The enemies have been done by someone over on the ZDoom forums... I don't remember who... The behavior was pretty accurate.

I did get the palette working to rip the textures, but, of course, the colors are different and sometimes terrible.

And also found JonoF's port which solved all the sound and launching problems I was having. Too bad I only have the shareware version.

Really pisses me off they even call it shareware. Should be a demo as small as it is. Many of the sprites and textures are missing from the Duke3d.grp file, and it's protected somehow so XWE can only copy entries - not add or replace any.

Bashe said:

Where can I pick up Zdoom 2.0.43? I tried the soureforge page of Zdoom where some of the old downloads may be and it's not there.

Try 2.0.47. That one worked fine for me.

psyren said:

I did get the palette working to rip the textures, but, of course, the colors are different and sometimes terrible.

And also found JonoF's port which solved all the sound and launching problems I was having. Too bad I only have the shareware version.

Really pisses me off they even call it shareware. Should be a demo as small as it is. Many of the sprites and textures are missing from the Duke3d.grp file, and it's protected somehow so XWE can only copy entries - not add or replace any.

If you want to make a TC, and not use any original doom graphics, you can just use the Duke3D pallete for everything... Then the colors will be exactly the same...

Well, I am still using ZDoom 1.22 so I don't know much about Randy's port or FMOD.dll or anything.

Spending so much time searching about this, I am now going for Blood! The original game, also on Silverman's Build engine and impossible for me to play in Windows.

I had the demo working when I first moved to Brasil and using my wife's machine. Can't find anything but the DOS version now.

Sorry to change topic. I am still interested in anything about Duke. I do love the game! Love the voice and attitude! Something, maybe the only thing missing in Doom is this. Why could the space marine ever make a comment like, "Damn! that hurt!" as Duke does?

Same thing with Blood I miss.

psyren said:

Well, I am still using ZDoom 1.22 so I don't know much about Randy's port or FMOD.dll or anything.

Spending so much time searching about this, I am now going for Blood! The original game, also on Silverman's Build engine and impossible for me to play in Windows.

I had the demo working when I first moved to Brasil and using my wife's machine. Can't find anything but the DOS version now.

Sorry to change topic. I am still interested in anything about Duke. I do love the game! Love the voice and attitude! Something, maybe the only thing missing in Doom is this. Why could the space marine ever make a comment like, "Damn! that hurt!" as Duke does?

You really need to update. We're up to 2.0.63a, just in case you didn't know.

psyren said:

Caleb from Blood said stuff all the time.

I realised my ZDoom was terribly outdated when I saw the version numbers being posted. I think I originally got 1.22 cuz that was what the GL version was designed for. (May be mistaken about that.) or I thought the newer ones were untested betas or something a tech idiot would be unable to get working.

I remember that about Caleb also. All of Duke's comments are action related and could prolly be scripted. Caleb's seemed to be random, but always when there wasn't anything really going on. Duke did the knuckle-popping thing and "What are you waiting for..?" after too much time without moving. I have no idea how this might be scripted, or 'too much time without an enemy encounter' as Caleb did.

psyren said:

I remember that about Caleb also. All of Duke's comments are action related and could prolly be scripted. Caleb's seemed to be random, but always when there wasn't anything really going on. Duke did the knuckle-popping thing and "What are you waiting for..?" after too much time without moving. I have no idea how this might be scripted, or 'too much time without an enemy encounter' as Caleb did.

Nah, they were done in a similar way to Duke's. Triggered by where you are, like when you get to the bloody sink and he goes "Out! Out! Damn spot!", when you completely annihilate an enemy or stand still for a long period of time.

If you are talking about scripting the "What are you waiting for?" thing in Zdoom, that wouldn't be hard. You written anything in ACS before?

Ah! Ok. Remembering map04 where he finds Doomdude in a secret area and says, "That's one dead space Marine." :)

I have read a Legacy tutorial about scripting, but still beyond me. I'm only at the point where I am comfortable manipulating wad elements, (sprites, sounds, textures, etc.,)

DeHacked was going to be my next topic to learn about, but maybe scripting. I don't know what would be more beneficial for things like this that I want to try and do.

At this point, just learning how to map using deep-water and floors over floors should prolly be the next step.

So much to learn, and so easy to get in too deep when I see these fantastic things that can be done.

psyren said:

DeHacked was going to be my next topic to learn about, but maybe scripting. I don't know what would be more beneficial for things like this that I want to try and do.

Learning Dehacked or better, Zdoom's decorate and monster definition features, will probably be the most fundamental thing in a project like this.