Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
saurabhmehra

Doom3 freezes

While playing the game, it frequently freezes and the system crashes. The same thing happens if i try to save.

My system:
Dell Inspiron 9100 P4 3 GHZ, 1024 RAM, ATI Mobility 9700 128 MB

The system crashes, or just the game? Win XP?

Have you installed the latest drivers for your hardware?

the system crashes. i checked the dell site and found a new driver has been released by ati to solve this. will try to download and see if that works. thanx.

I don't know if this is the same as saurabhmehra's problem, but the game freezes on me, particularly when I am on any visual quality setting better than Medium Quality 640x480. Which is a real shame, since with my system High Quality 1024x768 runs quite nicely (until it freezes up).

I had this problem before and after upgrading to WinXP SP2. I have also had this problem with Catalyst 4.7, 4.8 (and the corresponding Omega drivers) and now 4.9. I've had this problem with fastwrites enabled and disabled, AGP at 4x and 8x. I've even tried forcing different refresh rates but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I simply have no idea what's wrong.

My system is a 3.06GHz Northwood, 2Gb RAM, Granite Bay motherboard, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, Audigy 2 Platinum.

-=W=-

The only time I've ever had Doom3 lock up on me is when I've overclocked my computer. The overclock itself didn't really bother the system, but it was the heat output resulting from it that did. Try opening the side of your case and letting a desk fan blow in, and see if it locks up. If it still does, that at the least narrows down the possible problems.

I've been having freezing problems as well in various 3D games, Doom 3 less frequently though. Not coincidentally, I also have a Radeon 9700 Pro, running on an Asus K8V SE Athlon 64 3000+ 1GB DDR RAM. I've tried disabling fast writes, underclocking my card, etc. but this problem has persisted between at least the last five driver releases.

I've tried the following suggestions from helpful forum members:

1. Ensure the latest graphics driver is cleanly installed (currently Catalyst 4.9 for my Radeon 9700 Pro).
2. ATI Control Panel - VPU Recover: Disable VPU Recover.
3. ATI Control Panel - Troubleshooting: Reduce Graphics Hardware Acceleration by one notch from 'Full'.
4. ATI Control Panel - SMARTGART: Reduce AGP speed from 8x to 4x.
5. ATI Control Panel - SMARTGART: Disable AGP Fast Write.

Sadly, none of these have had any effect. Under the current setting I am using (High Quality 1024x768), I still encounter freezes in the game. Quite frustrating, too, as I am on the level near the end against that monstrous End-Of-Level Nasty...

Interestingly, none of the above changes have had any noticeable effect on performance when the game actually works. The demo1 Timedemo comes up as 35.3 fps consistently.

I have to say it is really annoying to suffer those lock-ups in the game, as they seriously detract from my enjoyment of Doom 3. I really hope Half Life 2 doesn't turn out like this...

-=W=-