Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MuD

Modifying textures

I started to examine the pk4 files earlier and found the monster textures. I decided to modify the archvile's face by giving him a wound on one of its eyes. I changed archvile2.tga(diffuse map), archvile2_s.tga(specular map), archvile2_h.tga(height map), and archvile2_local.tga(normal map).

I started up D3 and spawned an archvile. I could see that all but the diffuse map had changed, I now had an archvile with a hole in its head without any blood :/ I have messed around for ages trying to get it to show my custom diffuse map but it wont have it, and I have no idea why. I altered a zombie's diffuse map and again it shows the usual map. I looked in the monster.mtr file found in pak000/materials.

models/monsters/archvile/archvile2

{
    noselfShadow
	unsmoothedTangents
	flesh
	clamp
	renderbump  -size 1024 1024 -trace 0.01 -colorMap -aa 2  models/monsters/archvile/archvile2_local.tga models/monsters/archvile/archvile2_hi.lwo

{	// burning corpse effect
		if	parm7			// only when dead

// make a burned away alpha test for the normal skin
		blend	gl_zero, gl_one			// don't draw anything

map models/monsters/archvile/archvile2_dis.tga	// replace this with a monster-specific texture
		alphaTest 0.05 + 0.3 * (time - parm7)
	}
	{	// burning corpse effect
		if parm7			// only when dead

// draw the fire burn at a negative polygonOffset, so it is behind the other stages
		privatePolygonOffset	-1		// stage-only polygon offset
	      blend add	
      	blend gl_one, gl_zero

map models/monsters/archvile/archvile2_dis.tga	// replace this with a monster-specific texture
		alphaTest 0.3 * (time - parm7)
	}
	forceOverlays
	    diffusemap	    models/monsters/archvile/archvile2.tga
		bumpmap		addnormals(models/monsters/archvile/archvile2_local.tga, heightmap(models/monsters/archvile/archvile2_h.tga, 3) )
	    specularmap  models/monsters/archvile/archvile2_s.tga

}
I dont understand why it wont display the diffuse map because here it is pointing to the correct directory diffusemap models/monsters/archvile/archvile2.tga

I tried deleting archvile2 to see if I got an error when I spawned an archy, but it loaded fine with the normal diffuse map. Maybe it is getting the diffuse map from somewhere else?

Ah nevermind I've figured it out. It was using .dds files for the diffuse and specular maps located in pak001. I used a program called "dds converter 2" to change my tgas to dds format. The archvile now has a nasty gash on its eye :)