Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oscillik

the so-called "Trent Reznor Sound Pack"

i believe this to be fake, for this sole reason:

one of the sounds for the Imp is totally ripped from somewhere else, but I can't pinpoint it :( it's either from a film or another game, but I have definitely heard it before. It's the sounds that happen when the Imp sees you...I guess that a coder would call it a "sight" event sound...either way, Trent Reznor wouldn't stoop so low as to sample a sound that is so obviously close to the original source - it's not even been put through many effects racks!

A lot of people are saying the sounds are from the leaked alpha. That's probably why all the mirrors for it are dropping like flies.

oscillik said:

:( it's either from a film or another game, but I have definitely heard it before. It's the sounds that happen when the Imp sees you...

I believe the end of two of the sight sounds is the death cry of the Hell Knight from Doom PSX. Like a lot of the Doom sounds, though, it may have had a public domain life before being used in Doom, so it may have been heard elsewhere too.

Well I have the leaked alpha and I can confirm that every sound in the Trent Reznor soundpack is from that alpha. Just about all of them are kept in a directory called "nin" so I think it's safe to assume it was Trent who made them all. :P

*looks around* Well, I do have the sound pack in question. A lot of the sounds are certainly much better imo (in particular certain weapon sounds), regardless of their origins... I like to think that it is actually Reznor's work- I guess the only way to find out for sure is to ask him :)...

Ya, I've been using it since the day it game out, these are definitely the sounds from the Alpha no doubt. You can tell by the pistol sound and the Zombie Commandos, they're a dead giveaway.

Rom said:

A lot of people are saying the sounds are from the leaked alpha. That's probably why all the mirrors for it are dropping like flies.

I believe the end of two of the sight sounds is the death cry of the Hell Knight from Doom PSX. Like a lot of the Doom sounds, though, it may have had a public domain life before being used in Doom, so it may have been heard elsewhere too.

yes it is!!! thank you!!

but Reznor still has enough integrity to not use a sample that's so blatantly obvious....even if he were to use a sample as obvious as that, he'd put it through distortion, phasers, flange, put LFO's on it and maybe even some harmonic rotation. that sample is pretty much clean.

if these sounds are from the alpha leek, then i deduce that not all of the sound effects were made by or produced by Reznor, as he wouldn't let something like that slip by.

and i know that you're all saying "well how the hell would you know?"

i don't know 110% certain, but what i do know is that i have been studying music for years, listening in great detail (as if i were some kind of music tech geek or something) and i pick out every little thing. i have never heard a sample in any of the work by NIN that is a blatantly obvious sample.

oscillik said:

he'd put it through distortion, phasers, flange, put LFO's on it and maybe even some harmonic rotation

it's a sight sound, not a dance track

Ultraviolet said:

it's a sight sound, not a dance track

and if you knew anything about sound design you'd know that you can use anything you want to design the sound

oscillik said:

and if you knew anything about sound design you'd know that you can use anything you want to design the sound

Dude, the sounds are from the alpha, Reznor made the sounds in the alpha, QED the end.

Linguica said:

Dude, the sounds are from the alpha, Reznor made the sounds in the alpha, QED the end.

I believe that Reznor didn't make all of the sounds, in particular the sounds I'm talking about....not the end

Kid are you retarded. No Trent didn't make all the sounds, but his sounds were all placed in the nin folder in the sounds folder in the alpha. And additional sounds were in seperate folders.

Technician said:

Kid are you retarded. No Trent didn't make all the sounds, but his sounds were all placed in the nin folder in the sounds folder in the alpha. And additional sounds were in seperate folders.

ok for starters, i'm not a kid. second i'm not retarded.

if the sounds that Reznor made were put in the NIN folder, why isn't there a NIN folder in this supposed "Trent Reznor Sound Pack"?

i believe that these are just sounds from the Alpha that were ditched.

Ever considered that some id guy once came into Trent´s office, saying "Hey Trent, we need some quickly made sounds for E3. Feel free to pick up stuff from our archives." ?

Deathmatcher said:

Ever considered that some id guy once came into Trent´s office, saying "Hey Trent, we need some quickly made sounds for E3. Feel free to pick up stuff from our archives." ?

considering the amount of time he spent on doing the sounds, i would have thought not

but then again, i think we all know what Reznor is like with wasting time!

oscillik said:

if these sounds are from the alpha leek, then i deduce that not all of the sound effects were made by or produced by Reznor, as he wouldn't let something like that slip by.

rememerb that it was an ALPHA, reznor wasnt finished

Deathmatcher said:

exactly. he does other things in his life besides his breif stent with doom III.

oscillik said:

considering the amount of time he spent on doing the sounds, i would have thought not

but then again, i think we all know what Reznor is like with wasting time!

The alpha demo needed to be completed before may of 2002. I imagine the sounds cae in some where sround 2001 becasue 2000 was concepted and programing. Not to mention trent has other projects too. Probably the case were some sounds couldn't be finished and they took some fom a coimmon library.

has anyone in this thread ever heard of the term 'public domain' ? there are tons of sounds in many games (including doom) that are just common sounds, shared by many.

sheesh, all this arguing over something nobody can ever prove...

The Sound pack didn't have a "NIN" folder in it because there is no "NIN" folder in the finished Doom 3. Instead, the people who compiled the pack put the sounds in folders that were already present in the finished game so people could easily paste the sounds into their directories, rather than leaving them to guess about where to put them.

Trent made those sounds because he was still working on the game by the time the Alpha was leaked. When Trent left the team, he took all his own sounds with him.

There is no spoon. Case closed.

oscillik said:

if the sounds that Reznor made were put in the NIN folder, why isn't there a NIN folder in this supposed "Trent Reznor Sound Pack"?

Because they replace sounds used in the game, which were not kept in a folder called nin. Having made a soundpack myself, I know it would be quite possible to put all of the sounds in a seperate folder called nin and have the game use them by changing folders the sound shaders point to, but that would be a lot more work considering the amount of sounds the Trent Reznor soundpack has. And I don't think any sounds outside of the nin folder were used at all.

oscillik said:

Way to trumpet your elitism. I obviously recognized the terminology and its most common applications in electronic music, the flange and LFO in particular being used for discrete timing to make sounds work with rhythms so they won't stand out, and therefore I obviously "knew anything" about sound design. The post I initially replied to and the post I am replying to now are obviously you trying to seem like big knowledgeable shit when you aren't really anything outstanding.

By the way, is there anyone who really uses the soundpack permanently? I mean it´s a good thing to listen to the sounds of the alpha for history´s sake but then I´d delete them after a couple of minutes, for I want the original Doom3 feeling as it is meant to be. If the guys had been in such a hurry that they would have performed the sounds with their mouthes, I don´t think anyone would bother using them for good.

Deathmatcher said:

By the way, is there anyone who really uses the soundpack permanently? I mean it´s a good thing to listen to the sounds of the alpha for history´s sake but then I´d delete them after a couple of minutes, for I want the original Doom3 feeling as it is meant to be. If the guys had been in such a hurry that they would have performed the sounds with their mouthes, I don´t think anyone would bother using them for good.

The sounds in the final game suck, (although due to a bug they only play the first in the set of sounds, so maybe after the patch itll sound better) but most people dont know about altenatives

Its not a bug, its a cvar. Doom 3 thinks your pc hasnt got a fat enough memory stick for the sounds so it only loads one. Anyway search your config for maxSoundsPerShader.

I personally like all the sounds in this [however illegitimate] pack apart from the chaingun, and yes, there are lots of easily recognisable samples. Go look at every other game in the shops to find a lot more easily recognisable samples.

Ultraviolet said:

Way to trumpet your elitism. I obviously recognized the terminology and its most common applications in electronic music, the flange and LFO in particular being used for discrete timing to make sounds work with rhythms so they won't stand out, and therefore I obviously "knew anything" about sound design. The post I initially replied to and the post I am replying to now are obviously you trying to seem like big knowledgeable shit when you aren't really anything outstanding.

so if you knew what sound design was all about, why did you "kick-off on one" saying that it's sight sounds, not a dance track?

by saying something like that, you're basically saying that you only know of Music terminology and not general sound terminology.

and i wasn't trying to trumpet my elitism, and i admit that i don't know everything....but what i do know, i know quite well.

i know that this may sound silly after my rant, but please accept my apologies for insulting your intelligence. my intentions weren't to try and turn this thread into a "who's got a bigger ****" thread. i understand that is my fault and i'm sorry.

I said it because I'm a troll.

EDIT: Phew, had to check to make sure I wasn't posting in D3 Technical. I'd probably get losered again. :P I been in tha joint 3 times, yo. Tru product of da system.