Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
warmonger

what good is armor

Armor actually protects a whole lot, especially in multiplayer (armor's protective quality is specifically increased from 0.2 to 0.6 in MP). Try taking damage without armor and you'll see it makes a big difference.

Maybe the reason why you have 116 armor and 9 health is that there's so much armor suits and shards around. I was above 100 armor for around half the game (Veteran), and there were some cases when I came across an armor suit, and two rooms down the hall is another suit and/or a few armor shards.

Well you still take damage with it on, but the armor can probly rub off even some heavier hits even with low life, depends on the difficulty though.

you can change the armor protection in single player by modifying g_armorprotection at the console or in the doomconfig.cfg

Mr. Chris said:

you can change the armor protection in single player by modifying g_armorprotection at the console or in the doomconfig.cfg

But that would be cheating. ;)

yeah, wouldn't wanna cheat....yet :D. gonna have a helluva time getting thru the rest of the lvl. picked a wrong time for a quick save

Mr. Chris said:

and making it 0.75 would make it equal the blue armor protection.

Accually, Doom only has one armor class. It absorbs roughly 50-55% of the damage done to you. Believe me. I've looked at the source code. ;)

Armor is only good for reducing a FRACTION of the total damage you would recieve from certain attacks. It is in many cases useless...but it can't hurt :-/

Of course, since you almost never run out because the armor absorbs only 20% of the damage done to you.
If you look at the default cvar for g_armorprotection, it's 0.3. The game sets it to 0.2 anyways. Weird, eh?

footman said:
Accually, Doom only has one armor class. It absorbs roughly 50-55% of the damage done to you. Believe me. I've looked at the source code. ;)

Actually, armor over 100% has a different ratio of damage absorption than armor that is less than 100%.

Did anyone notice that if you get hit in the head your armour doesn't even protect you? It's kinda lame.

That or the fact that getting shot in the face, is getting shot in the face and not in the chest where there's armor.

Armor does very little in SP except against weaker damage. It only absorbs 20% of damage but always with a minimum of 1 (skewing it's protection in favor of weaker hits i.e. take 50 damage -> 10 Armor 40 Health which gives a protection of 20% however take 2 damage -> 1 Armor 1 Health which gives a protection of 50%)

In short armor is only really effective at helping you shrug off minor damage (especially a large number of hits with minor damage such as machineguns or shotguns.) but isn't effective against heavier damage. I will agree that for what it does, there is WAY too much armor in the game, especially considering that none of the enemies hit all that hard.

Of course you can change this by modding the game defs which is one thing I have done i.e. scaling up enemy damage and allowing more protection for the armor so it actually has some value. ;)