Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lengis

Vehicles for multiplayer

Vehicles are an important aspect in multiplayer 3d-shooters IMO. If they were in Doom 3, it would vastly improve the multiplayer aspect. I know most peeps here are focused on the single-player aspect (as am I), but I believe that it's possible to have the ultimate 3d-shooter that combines the best of singleplayer and the best of multiplayer into one awsome 3d-shooter. With acurate physics they could include anything from air fighters (like the ones from Halo), light hover vehicles, jeeps, tanks, apc's, etc.

(I was writing a reply, but I was so rudely interrupted when IE6 crashed out from under me.)

Three problems: First of all, Doom looks like it will follow the close-quarters, cramped environments mold that doesn't lend itself well to vehicles. Second, there isn't really a good control schema that lends itself well to both FPS and vehicle action.

Third, anybody who's played Shadow Warrior multiplayer knows that vehicles can cause havoc with framerates and pings. (And that was with the Build engine, where the vehicles weren't very sophisticated at all.)

Second, there isn't really a good control schema that lends itself well to both FPS and vehicle action.

another break-through for PS2 Red Faction...

Third, anybody who's played Shadow Warrior multiplayer knows that vehicles can cause havoc with framerates and pings. (And that was with the Build engine, where the vehicles weren't very sophisticated at all.)

Actually vehicles are as CPU intensive as 2 or 3 enemy models max. Shadow Warrior had this terrible problem with vehicles because their movement meant a real-time node recompilation. Sectors got cut by the vehicle's shape all the time. Now that it's just a free 3d model it doesn't really attack the engine as some obscure buggy feature.

Three problems: First of all, Doom looks like it will follow the close-quarters, cramped environments mold that doesn't lend itself well to vehicles. Second, there isn't really a good control schema that lends itself well to both FPS and vehicle action.

Well not much of Doom 3 has been seen. There was the small movie that everyone has seen durring the debut of the Geforce 3, but that was only a few scant months after iD even revealed to the world that a Doom 3 would be made. By the time of the final product we could be looking at something totally different and unexpected.

You prolly haven't played Tribes 1 or 2 if you think vehicle control in a FPS can't work. From my experience I can say, it works.

Vehicles are a nice addition but they mean a lot of work. And since id's planning to just tag a very simple multiplayer component to DooM and focusing to the actual singleplay campaign that I really doubt we'll see this.

From what we've heard, implementing vehicles shouldn't be too hard.

well im assuming id will include vehciles in the single player... so why cant they use single player vehciles for multiplayer ?

just a thought

Vehicles are great. All of those trams made Duke Nukem great, and the Jeepathon series for Counter-Strike was great. It breaks the monotony of hide, sneak, camp, hide, sneak, camp, hide, sneak, camp, hide, sneak, get shot in the back of the head. You should see some of my wild jeep-fliping escapades.

We DON'T know if they'll use vehicles for the singleplay. Not all games need that. If they do, good, but if they don't I won't cry. I'm looking for firefights in dark hallways, not car chases ^_^

I'm looking for firefights in dark hallways, not car chases ^_^

/me has a vision of the Doomguy in a muscle car being chased through San Francisco by a hay truck full of Barons with pitchforks while cheesy getaway music plays in the background.

/me breaks down giggling.

Personally, vehicles are good, just see Red Faction, those vehicles were cool, the Jeep being my favourite. The gripe I have with Red Faction is that they could of been used Much more! Plus the vehicles made NO appearance in the Multiplayer maps.........damnit? why not? The Jeep could be cool in the CTF maps, Driver has the flag, and team mate covers with the gun on top, But it didn't happen. I also agree with others: the Vehicle can provide a change in play, if only for twenty minutes

Here's a question: If they did put drivable vehicles in a game, would you expect them to look and handle "realistically"? Or would having very simple vehicles be enough?

I guess the best example of a "simple" vehicle would be the ones in Counter-Strike. It's basically a recoded HL train entity that accepts strae commands as well as +forward/+backward commands. Not realistic or functional at all, but HEY! THEY'RE DRIVABLE CARS! FUNFUNFUN! :P

Now, given a chance, I would make it so that the mouselook function was used to steer the car. Either look in a direction and have the car turn towards that direction, or use the mouse as sort ofa steering wheel. I'd also code in a sitting position and a good field of vision, so I wouldn't have to worry about getting my head blown out the top of the APC.

If id's going to model/license a good physics model then making a fully functional vehicle is just a matter of building the model taking in mind the capabilities of the engine. "Spring" modifiers and friction paramaters will do most of the work if the enviroment is adequate.

Assuming D3 is gonna be an indoor game with an indoor engine, wich is a safe assumption...
How much fun is it to drive a car around in the garage?