Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Impassable linedef issue in WA

Anyone know how to fix the problem in Wadauthor? I can't cross over the linedef even the impassable box is not checked. I kinda remember this has happened to me before but I can't remember the solution to this issue.

Depending on the architecture, you may also be experiencing a nodebuilder issue. Sometimes the nodebuilder borks out and you get invisible walls. Try using an external nodebuilder such as ZenNode or ZDBSP.

Darkhaven said:

Is the "Block Everything" flag checked?

block everything is the same as impassible you idiot

999: if a line is 1s (bolder than 2s lines in wauth, plus the 'two-sided' box is unchecked) then it's impassible regardless of the impassible flag. if it is a 2s line, check that it's not over a 1s line or another 2s line with the impassible flag set. other than that, dunno.

Cyb said:

No, it's not. With "Block Everything" set, absolutely nothing gets through, with the exception of monsters' field of vision and an object with the "NOBLOCKMAP" flag set through DEHACKED, IIRC. Impassible only blocks player and monster movement.

Cyb said:

Incorrect. When used on a two sided line, Impassible prevents the player from going through, but allows projectiles and hitscan weapons to travel through. Block Everything actually DOES block everything, so it's possible to make stuff like glass windows that block projectiles, not that such a thing is terribly realistic. Never tried Block Everything on a one sided line, but i never had a reason to...

999cop said:

Anyone know how to fix the problem in Wadauthor? I can't cross over the linedef even the impassable box is not checked. I kinda remember this has happened to me before but I can't remember the solution to this issue.

You could have the linedef referring to the wrong sector - if that's true and this wrong sector has a big enough height difference to the right sector, then it will block you.

Also, as a little hint, if what Ultimate Doomer says is true, the sidedef you need to fix is probably facing away from the player.

Alexmax-Yes, Your right.
But did 999cop say he's editing for Zdoom? IIRC Block Everything flag is only for Zdoom map formats.

Darkhaven said:

No, it's not. With "Block Everything" set, absolutely nothing gets through, with the exception of monsters' field of vision and an object with the "NOBLOCKMAP" flag set through DEHACKED, IIRC. Impassible only blocks player and monster movement.

yes but wadauthor doesn't have a block everything checkmark, you have to edit the hex values of the line to do so (add 0xFFFF8000 to the current value), so there's no way he could have had it checked

I actually should have said "there's no block everything checkbox you idiot" :P

To be honest, I don't really know how to use the sector numbers therefore it's hard for me to check whether I have referred to the wrong sector. The map I'm working on is completely derived from E1M7, and basically what I did was just to add more rooms to it. Everything works fine so far from what Ive seen, except for the door which connects the new sectors I added to the original structure. I tried taking your advice flipping the linedef around but still not working. I don't dare to change sector numbers boldly cuz' it could seriously mess up the map. So when I come back home, I'll try to upload my wad, or even a screenshot, and see if any one could help. Thanks

Manual sector refrencing isn't something I learned quickly either, but that's mostly because I barely knew what the "sector" box meant for a long time (and didn't care). It's pretty simple, actually. What you really need to do is... first of all use the error checker, it'll tell you what sectors are unclosed... or you can check yourself by entering sector mode and hovering over the area to see what doesn't look closed to you (you'll notice). Remember the sector numbers of the door and the sectors around it. Then check the door lines... make sure the front (which should be facing out BTW) has the number of that sector in its box, and if not you should change it. Same thing with the other door. Also you may want to check the backsides of the door lines. WA does have a couple bugs that screw up your sectors, but usually it's something you did... if all else fails just delete the buggy area and start over.

netnomad312 said:

if all else fails just delete the buggy area and start over.

I did that several times but the blocking issue still remains. I think probably the original sector in the map is still yet oriented with the new sectors I added, so no matter how many times I go back to rebuild the new sectors the problem is still there

Cyb said:

yes but wadauthor doesn't have a block everything checkmark, you have to edit the hex values of the line to do so (add 0xFFFF8000 to the current value), so there's no way he could have had it checked

I actually should have said "there's no block everything checkbox you idiot" :P

heh, I wanted to say the same thing.

You don't even have to edit the hex numbers manually. When editing zdoom, you can do it the way I do it, with a script.

use Line_SetIdentification on the line, and give it a proper ID. Then, in a script use-

setlineblocking(lineid, BLOCK_EVERTHING)

Sometimes when i make levels in WA large, invisible blocks get generated outside windows and ledges. Try using a port with jumping and jumping at the 'impassable' line and see if you end up on the invisible block. To get rid of the block just make a sector inside it, such as some blood with a dead marine on

The problem there is you've got the linedefs of a raised sector pointing inwards - flip them so they face away from the raised sector and it should be fine. Occasionally this might happen with the linedefs pointing outwards, in which case flip them and it should be fine.

Get Zennode first, then go to Jean-Yves site and download the King Elvis frontend for Zennode. http://www.newdoom.com/hosted/dlw/Utilities.shtml

I was having this problem of invisible and impassible lines showing up in wierd places in my maps and this fixed it for me so try it (?).

With WA it is an "impassible" linedef, usually set when sector -1 is the backside, but doesn't do this automatically. DB will set every one sided linedef that has a backside sector -1 as "impassible" but this is a flaw in WA.

WadAuthor, which is what e's complaining about, will occasionally make a whole bunch of linedefs that should be jumpable or crossable to be impassible and I have not completely figgred this out yet either, so please don't just jump to conclusions without reading.

Flipping them usually works fine, but what about those strange impassible lines that seem to show up where no line is?

psyren said:

With WA it is an "impassible" linedef, usually set when sector -1 is the backside, but doesn't do this automatically. DB will set every one sided linedef that has a backside sector -1 as "impassible" but this is a flaw in WA.

I think I once read that 1 sided lines are always impassible anyway, so you'd not need to set the flag.

IIRC, 1-sided lines without the Impassable flag allow you to walk through the wall outside the map in doom2.exe.

A friend, (who uses DoomBuilder and DeePsea instead of WadAuthor,) tested some of my maps and informed me that none of the -1 sector lines were flagged impassable. This doesn't really seem to affect anything at all, so I disregarded it. (but maybe it does, as CodeImp says, when not playing a port?)

I had a whole bunch of castle-like, keystone notches in one map that were mysteriously impassable until I flipped the linedefs, (as was recommended above.)

Running through ZenNode after WadAuthor seems to fix those very strange invisible and impassable lines that aren't even in the map that I have occasionally encountered, and what I was thinking the thread started was also referring to.

I was just curious what might be causing these to begin with.

CodeImp said:

IIRC, 1-sided lines without the Impassable flag allow you to walk through the wall outside the map in doom2.exe.

Nope, I just tried it. Works fine in doom2.exe.

psyren said:

A friend, (who uses DoomBuilder and DeePsea instead of WadAuthor,) tested some of my maps and informed me that none of the -1 sector lines were flagged impassable. This doesn't really seem to affect anything at all, so I disregarded it. (but maybe it does, as CodeImp says, when not playing a port?)

Correct, it makes no difference, just a "style" issue since it tends to be a bit confusing when editing.

Running through ZenNode after WadAuthor seems to fix those very strange invisible and impassable lines that aren't even in the map that I have occasionally encountered, and what I was thinking the thread started was also referring to.

I was just curious what might be causing these to begin with.

Again correct. The problem is just that the WA nodebuilder has the "wrong side" but when nodes are built. The invisible blocking lines (or even the ability to walk through walls) are both caused by node errors.

The solution is to never use the WA nodebuilder :)

Hehe... have you tried doing the math? The player can't get through the door because of the steps behind it! This isn't a node problem at all; rather, the player has trouble going down through openings of this height. I would suggest either placing a small sector outside of the door with a higher ceiling, so the door opens higher, or including one more sector beyond the door, at the bottom of the stairs, with floor 0. Either of these methods should fix your problem.

Damn, you guys, and you all thought it was a node problem. You noobs. **

EDIT: Um, I can't type X followed by D anymore? Wtf?

seems rebuilding nodes with Doom Builder doesn't help fix the issue of the impassable linedef

You guys really need to listen more:
Hehe... have you tried doing the math? The player can't get through the door because of the steps behind it! This isn't a node problem at all; rather, the player has trouble going down through openings of this height. I would suggest either placing a small sector outside of the door with a higher ceiling, so the door opens higher, or including one more sector beyond the door, at the bottom of the stairs, with floor 0. Either of these methods should fix your problem.

Sorry I had to double post but, that's the problem. Any of you actually try looking at the wad? Cause I did, and that's what fixed it. So... yeah.

Deepteam,
I have no idea how to make it so WadAuthor does not build nodes internally, and no luck adding ZenNode as an external nodebuilder.

Everytime I save the map in WadAuthor, it builds nodes. I prolly should be asking Dr. John Williston this instead of you, but what do you think? I know, I know, I should be using DeePsea instead, and you're right! But what if I run my map through ZenNode after WadAuthor saves it? I have had good success using Jean-Yves/ King Elvis Zennode front end for Windows doing this.