Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marky

Pick up on switch

Hi all!
In the mancubus.wad (map 04), there are some switches, that give you pickups when switching. I want to do this in my map, too.
I tried it exactly the way it's done in the mancubus.wad:
You build a hidden sector, put a second player1 start in it and a lower sector, which rises by using the switch. The lower sector carries the pick up.
I tried it like this, but nothing happened when I pulled the switch. So I used the IDCLIP to go into that hidden room. And to my surprise, there was no player1 phantom.
Isn't it possible to put two player1 starting points into one ZDoom map (Doom in Doom format)? If so, how can I do this pickup-on-switch-trick in this format?

Thanks for help,

marky.

It should work, maybe you didn't check the right "appears on (dm, sp etc.)" mode? And if you're using ZDoom anyway you could as well use ACS.

hmmm. the ghost player just doesn't appear. i put it right next to the original player 1 start now, but there is nothing to see.
both starting points have the same flags (easy, medium, hard). but i don't see my twin... strange...

(as to scripting: I don't have the time to learn it. )

are you sure it's a player1 start and not another player# start or a dm start? I've accidently placed DM starts instead of a second player1 start before a bunch of times.

Yes, I'm pretty sure... and quite confused and doubting my intelligence...
Both things are type 1 (Player 1 start), both have the flag 007.
I start the game in SP mode.

When I start the mancubus.wad or any other wad that contains the voodoo player, everything works fine.
When I make a new map, put two player 1 spots in it... everything works fine.
But in this map, the twin simply doesn't appear.

I'm baffled.

weird... can you post a screenshot of the map in your editor, or upload it somewhere? :P

I'm not sure, what you want exactly to see on the screenshots, so I made 3.

This one shows the two player starts (bright red spots):

And the following two screenies show the menu for each player spot:

(The things with the question mark in them are new monsters)

The player start in image 3 is the regular player. The one in the second image is the twin. No matter, if he is in the seperated sector or if I put him next to the other, he isn't visible.

The map is part of a TC, so the wad is quite large, 4 MB unzipped. And as it is in the making, I rather don't want to put it into public now. If you promise not to send it to others and if you don't mind to have this amount of bits and bytes in your mail box, I could send it to you (zipped, of course).

Thanks anyway,

marky

Sure I could, but I can't.
It's in doom format and I don't know ACS and I don't have the time nore the will to learn it.
It shouldn't be a problem to put two player starts in a map.

well I was more interested in seeing the positioning of the thing in the sector... zdoom used to remove things that obstructed the player, but I thought maybe it was moving or removing the extra start if it was in the wall... is that red thing in the disconnected square sector the extra player start? try moving it away from the wall maybe, otherwise you may want to send the map to randy (zdoom programmer) because it's a really weird anomaly.

Hi, Cyb,

I tested this, too. I deleted the twin and inserted a new one on other places in my map. With the same result.
There must be a mistake in the whole map that prevents the twin from appearing. Really weird...

I posted my question in the ZDoom Forum and maybe one of the experts will take a look.

Thank you,

marky

Edit:
Ok, I discovered a bug in Zdoom. Player starting points are ignored, if you place them into the map after you put ambient sounds in it. This is only in ZDoom, Doom format maps, not in Hexen format.
Further information at: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=3490