Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Master Cilander

Doom is educational.

Doom taught me that there no bathrooms on the moons of Mars. Must have been a pain to hold that all in from Mars to Hell and back. :p

Snarboo said:

Doom taught me that there no bathrooms on the moons of Mars. Must have been a pain to hold that all in from Mars to Hell and back. :p

I'd assume that Doomguy had a catheter handy. But then again, no-one wants to have a turd floating around in their helmets.

Job said:

You must have a very loose definition of "joke". I'd say it would be better described as "unfunney".

I'd say the vast of majority jokes are "unfunney". Or maybe I just have no sense of humour.

DarkJedi188 said:

Compared to a game like DUKE3D, DOOM is quite a positive learning experience, which teaches you lots of useful scientific & industrial vocabulary.
All that DUKE3D ever taught little kids is how to swear and curse.
Nonetheless, I still like both games in their own separate ways.

Duke 3d also had adult themes, giving money to strippers and the ability to shoot them. So that would be objectifying women sexually, degrading them, and expressing violence towards them. Very educational. Now I feel all gross like a feminist.

Oddly enough, Doom editing has made me scarily efficient at dividing and multiplying numbers by 8, 16 and 32 in my head; something I only recently found out at college (On Monday, yes) -- our group has 16 members and we all had to have a tutorial session. To divide an hour by that was actually quite easy for me (Decimal places and all) although it quite scared Alison, our lecturer :D

Other than this anomaly (Whee, see what I did there? :p), my mental arithmetic is bordering on laughable ;)

Snarboo said:

Well considering it's a virtual world, with a virtual character it's rather pointless as it would've just been cheap toilet humor to do so. I'm guessing aside from restrooms in every level, you'd like the character to also have a random bathroom meter and if you don't make it to the bathroom in time your character ends up soiling himself. I suppose you'd also like the character to be able to interact with the condom and tampon dispensers as well. Some levels of interactivity are better left unexplored.

POTGIESSER said:

Some levels of interactivity are better left unexplored.

I was mostly kidding, but that does bring up the issue of how far we want games to go where interactivity is concerned. I imagine eventually games will be so immersive people will forget to use the restroom, so a game designer wanting to avoid a lawsuit might put a bathroom element into the game to alleviate the problem. Same goes for food. It would only be another layer of interactivity for players of the (far) future.

Alternatively, the game could shut off until you use the restroom and eat so you don't die or soil yourself. I'm sure most people would prefer that method over going to the bathroom virtually. This solution would probably be best for games that are addictive right now, such as Everquest.

Snarboo said:

I was mostly kidding

I know, I just felt like going along with it. :D

DoomDan said:

lmfao

Doom Editing drastically improved my ability with coordinate planes and multiplying because of the way it edits. All that math :P

I can barely remember that far back to when I first played, but I do know that it taught me that killing stuff is tons of fun. LONG LIVE VIOLENT VIDEGAMES!

[edit]forgot, I also learned impse :)