Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #199

Hello and welcome back to yet another edition of The /newstuff Chronicles. Aftera 29-month hiatus, the best reviewer is back to making things not suck again;well, at least for 1/3 of the time. It should come as no surprise that with #200coming up next week, this week's selections are extremely wilted. In fact, thismay be one of the most dampened editions in all of /newstuff's four plus years,when considering quantity and quality. Whatever the case, we always take what wecan get with the most appropriate attitude. This week's attitude is one ofoutrage, humbleness, and utter carefree boredom. The /newstuff Chronicles #199sucks, and we're okay with that.

• Hope by Jorge Llubia
    10kb - Doom2 - SP + Coop + DM - 1 map - (img) (img)
    This "first-attempt" WAD by Jorge is carefree and loose, yet strangely inhibited. This author obviously has no care for consistency, fun, or gameplay balance, but he still seems to restrict himself to the overplayed themes of hallways, rooms, rectangles, circles, and flat areas. This map is relatively short, but it's still a challenge to finish. The monsters are big enough to stop you, but there's opportunity enough to kill them and/or avoid them. If you love maps where it's overwhelmingly difficult to find any bright spots or defining characteristics, you'll like this one.

• Lab at Deimos by Assphalt
    524kb - Doom2 - SP + Coop - 1 map - (img) (img)
    In another devastating blow to any chance we ever had of finding anything remotely unique to say about any WAD released this week, this WAD is truly typical and normal. This level plays extremely heavily on the room/hallway theme. Each area is either a small room or a cramped hallway. It's also quite average in difficulty, with small-to-medium weapons and small-to-medium monsters. With any real effort, it should only take a couple of minutes to finish. On the moderately-lit side, this map uses some brown texture replacements. Don't forget to look for those average-difficulty-to-find secrets.

• Crouch MoD Demo map by Jimi
    3,291kb - JDoom - Doom, Doom1, Doom2, Plutonia, TNT - SP + Coop + DM - possibly 1 map
    This is more of an engine-modification than a level replacement. In fact, I can't say with any certainty that there is a level here, despite the author's claims of a demo map. I'm also not sure how many people will actually be able to crouch while using this add-on, as I certainly wasn't able to. What we DO know about this add-on is that it provides weapon kickback effects for JDoom. But would any Doomer seriously want to disadvantage themselves in this way? I can't wait to find out.

Fourth Post

What's wrong with the room/hallway theme? Not all wads have huge outdoor areas or whatnot. I dunno what you were implying there, AndrewB... but oh well. /me downloads Deimos Lab.

EDIT: Damn... fifth post. Heh.

Aahh! Crap... The PK3 file gets unzipped in the wrong directory :(

You have to move the CTDEMON.PK3 from Doomsday\Data\ to Doomsday\Data\jDoom\
or load the PK3 with -file in the commandline or use the Add... button in the WADs panel in the kickstart.

Judging from that wad by Assplat it would've taken approximately 10 minutes to make a map for his project. Good job. Ironically enough it was the best wad this week.

In Lab at Deimos, the blue key appears only on UV (as does most of the ammo). How nice ! :(
Fortunately it is pretty easy (even for me).

timmie said:

is it just me or are all the image links broken?

Scream at Cyb.

By the way, the links work in the "middle page"; just not in this thread.

AndrewB: you need to give the full urls for the images; relative links won't work when the html appears in two different places.

Grazza said:

AndrewB: you need to give the full urls for the images; relative links won't work when the html appears in two different places.

Yes, but when the pages were created, the URLs to the image filenames were anyone's guess.

AndrewB said:

Yes, but when the pages were created, the URLs to the image filenames were anyone's guess.

They are always http://www.doomworld.com/images/newstuff/nnn/filename, where nnn is the week number and filename is the, er, file name.

I would love to have something to release for newstuff 200 but sadly I don't.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

1 wad (a French ZDoom map IIRC). That was also one of AndrewB's weeks...

mmm before my time, I came during the liam era area

Can I re-release my wad/mod next week to get a better review? Because that review(er) is stupid even if one important file gets unzipped in wrong location, but the file is still there and people with some intelligence in their mind can find the file and use it.