Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Benefits of Boom

I'm thinking about making the leap from vanilla [more specifically limitless source] editing to Boom editing, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra trouble. What are all the features Boom has that Doom2.exe doesn't (asides from limit removal)?

i.e. animated flats, currents... go on please...

A whole bunch of new line specials and sector specials. Translucent main textures, midi support, new lumps for adding switches, ability to load sprites and flats from a pwad, and loads more.

Edit: Forgot the colored sectors, silent teleports, and transfer heights (242). Those deserve seperate mention.

Doom Marine said:

colored sectors eh? you mean you can actually have a blue room instead of having to dye every texture and flat blue?

Yep

Colored rooms are not easily possible in Boom. The feature is quite limited because not the sector specifies the color, but the viewpoint. That is, if you are in a blue sector, everything will be blue and if you are in a non-colored sector even the blue sector won't be colored. If you want real colored lighting you have to use a more advanced source port.

If you have been editing for a limitless source port (i will assume zdoom or legacy, or eternnity), you have acess to the boom features already, because..er, two of those are actually modified versions of boom, and zdoom has 100% compatability with it

Zdoom is not 100% boom compatible, and only one of those ports in your list are based on boom (eternity).

NiGHTMARE said:

Personally I cannot think of a single Boom feature that doesn't work in ZDoom.

Boom translucency lumps dont seem to work properly, unless randy altered their implementation somehow (which would still count as an incompatibility IMO). The translucency value will remain at zdoom's default, regardless of what the lump says.

There's probably 1 or 2 other really minor things.

Amaster said:

Boom translucency lumps dont seem to work properly, unless randy altered their implementation somehow (which would still count as an incompatibility IMO). The translucency value will remain at zdoom's default, regardless of what the lump says.

There's probably 1 or 2 other really minor things.

The feature isn't implemented in ZDoom, plain and simple.

Amaster said:

midi support

Vanilla doom CAN play MIDIs. All the music in Alien Vendetta is still in MIDI format, for example. I just said something that not alot of people know I think ;) The UDS sais it has to be MUS and almost every single editor helps by making the format MUS. Vanilla doom is perfectly capable of playing MIDI, so Boom didn't add MIDI support really, it just put it into the new sound coding(since the source had none).

Also ZDooM doesn't support changing cheat codes AFAIK. But only because it's too hard to remember the new cheats most of the time, and people would rather stick with good old IDDQD/IDKFA/etc.

Who cheats anyway? *hides "WORLD'S BIGGEST FUCKING CHEATER" trophy*

Damn, I can't believe I just bumped a 3-week old topic. Now I'm the fuckest :( If only post date was displayed more conspicously...

Pika132 said:

Also ZDooM doesn't support changing cheat codes AFAIK.

Cheat altering has been disabled by public demand. It's total nonsense and only annoys the users who want to use cheats for whatever reason, which mostly isn't really cheating. I use it quite often to analyze a map after playing it and those 'cool' Dehacked patches which alter the cheats have always been a real pain in the ass.

Graf Zahl said:

It's total nonsense and only annoys the users who want to use cheats for whatever reason

That's what I meant.

Graf Zahl said:

which mostly isn't really cheating.

I doubt "mostly" includes running around Cyberdreams MAP30, in Degreelessness Mode, with a BFG in my hands. In my defense, I still can't figure out how the hell to beat that one. And that
ROOOAAR at the beginning is fucking loud.

And incidentally, why doesn't that size tag work?

EDIT: Size tag has been removed.

Because it would be annoying if it did.

Heh, Cyberdreams Map30 can be tricky. You have to be REALLY fast. But it's probably one of the least difficult maps in the wad once you know the order in which to cross those platform thingies.

Yeah, I usually bind godmode to G, noclip to P, fly to Y, anubis to B, etc. It's really really useful.

MasterOFDeath said:
Vanilla doom CAN play MIDIs.

Nonsense.

All the music in Alien Vendetta is still in MIDI format, for example.

Not true.

I just said something that not alot of people know I think ;)

You think.

The UDS sais it has to be MUS and almost every single editor helps by making the format MUS.

Because it does have to be in MUS format.

Vanilla doom is perfectly capable of playing MIDI, so Boom didn't add MIDI support really, it just put it into the new sound coding(since the source had none).

Wrong.

Looks like MasterOFDeath got pwned pretty bad. Seriously, do you think everybody would convert the MIDIs to MUS just for fun?

Graf Zahl said:

The feature isn't implemented in ZDoom, plain and simple.

I've used the boom translucence thing in one of my maps before and it worked perfectly in zdoom.

MYK you are a moron. Yes, all the music in Alien Vendetta is in MIDI format, not MUS, otherwise I would have not said anything. Im not stupid, you can try putting a MIDI in a wad and playing it with Vanilla doom, it will play. Like I said, the UDS says it has to be MUS, so likewise everyone would make it MUS.

LOOK! OMG IT SAYS MIDI! STANDARD MIDI FILE! AND ITS AV.WAD! God you all are idots.

MasterOFDeath said:
OMGWTFBBQOMGMOGMOGMOGMOG LOOK! OMG IT SAYS MIDI! STANDARD MIDI FILE!!!!11111oneoneonehundredeleven

hahahhahaahahahaha

MasterOFDeath said:

MYK you are a moron

Correction, he is a moderator
:rolleyes:
oh, no smilies, heh, oh well :tongue2:

God, you all are ...

We are Your gods? o_0

Nmn said:
Correction, he is a moderator

OMG HE IS A MODERATOR OF A FORUM I NEVER TALK IN BECAUSE ITS FULL OF MORONS! OMG I AM SO SCARED! You can loser me or ban me, I wont give a flying crap, I almost never post here anyways. I never even would have known what MYK and Boris said if boris had never showed me in #skulltag. I dare you to make a vanilla wad that replaces the music with MIDI and play it with vanilla and listen to the MIDI play.

CodeImp said:

I think he meant to type we are all his idols.

Let me rephrase what I said.

YOU ALL ARE ANNOYING, STUPID RETARDS.

MasterOFDeath said:

You can loser me or ban me, I wont give a flying crap, I almost never post here anyways.

YOU ALL ARE ANNOYING, STUPID RETARDS.

ATTN, calling an admin, this person just sentenced himself.
Have a nice day :)

MasterOFDeath: heh you have a real hard time getting the message boy. Myk didnt insult anyone, he just said your were wrong. And damn right he is, because you are wrong. Vanilla Doom (doom.exe/doom2.exe) does not play MIDI files.

MUS is just a stripped down version of MIDI, I'm not sure on the exact comparison of both but I believe MUS supports less instruments or something to that nature (I'm not overly familar with MIDIs)

Looking at the music in AV they ARE midis, but every single one of them has been converted from MUS (meaning they were made as MIDI then converted to MUS and then back to MIDI) which means any extra things not supported by MUS are gone (lost in the first conversion from MIDI->MUS), so only the supported features of the MIDIs remain. It'd be interesting if someone would stick an unconverted MIDI into a wad and see if it plays, but I wager it would bugger, but perhaps the music code in doom2.exe is robust enough that it can still play them since the data segements are unchanged from MIDI.

more on this as it develops :P