Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hannibal

Doom 1 source port?

Whats a good source port i can use with doom 1 well and all the other dooms because i just bought the pack :)? i tried to load the doom 1 wad with zdoom and that didnt work so well. id like a source port that had mouse aim. Thanks in advance.

Are You talking about Doom1 shareware or Ultimate Doom IWAD?

Either case...
Don't worry, put all the Iwads into Your Zdoom folder and launch Zdoom, it should find the iwads and will ask You which one to choose,..
and remember, do NOT check the "don't ask me again", Never.

If it does not detect then launch Iwads from the command line with:
zdoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file xxx.wad

Hannibal said:

id like a source port that had mouse aim.

Do you mean that you want to be able to look up or down using the mouse, and for any bullets or projectiles you fire to go in the direction you are looking (rather than using the autoaim, like in the original game)? If so, Zdoom can do this. Make sure you have:
1) Set "always mouselook" to "yes" (options menu - mouse options)
2) Set "autoaim" to "never" (options menu - player setup)

Nmn said:

Are You talking about Doom1 shareware or Ultimate Doom IWAD?

Either case...
Don't worry, put all the Iwads into Your Zdoom folder and launch Zdoom, it should find the iwads and will ask You which one to choose,..
and remember, do NOT check the "don't ask me again", Never.

If it does not detect then launch Iwads from the command line with:
zdoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file xxx.wad

when/where do i type "zdoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file xxx.wad" ? sorry im new to zdoom.

You type this at the command prompt. To find the command prompt, do like this ->

Start Menu -> Run -> Type "cmd" (or "command")

The command prompt should appear. Type "cd c:\zdoom" (or whereever you placed the ZDooM executable), then type "zdoom -iwad doom" to play Ultimate Doom. If you want to use a third party supplied WAD (i.e. user designed levels) for Ultimate Doom, then you'd type "zdoom -iwad doom -file [name of wad].wad".

HTH.

EDIT: Hey, 400! Not bad. :-)

loading doom 1 like that all the time is a pain in the ass... any way i could make it do it without using command prompt?

you can make a directory with zdoom and doom.wad in it, but not doom2.wad. That way zdoom will default to doom (1).

Rellik said:

You can also try Legacy (http://www.legacy.newdoom.com), it has the mouselook you're looking for as well as OpenGl and a nice Launcher. :)

ZDoom is a lot less buggier and has better features (Slopes, ACS, DECORATE, better console). In fact, the only trhing Leagcy has over ZDoom is 3D floors.

Don't make this thread a port vs port flamewar (if it becomes one, I'll take appropriate action).

Remember too that how "buggy" the various ports seem is very much system-dependent. Some work fine for some people, and not for others.

Is there any frontend/lanucher for ZDoom? I'm getting tired of changing the command prompt everytime i want to change wads.

I use Zdoom almost exclusively and there are a few ways to set it up

1, if you checked “don't ask me again” make a shortcut to it and then right click it and go to properties and in the target field add your command lines like –iwad after zdoom.exe or after the quote and name the shortcut accordingly.

2, this is what I do. I made a plan old shortcut and left it so it asks which iwad I want to load. Now from any folder on any drive I can drag and drop a user made addon pwad on to the shortcut of zdoom and then it asks me which iwad I want to load, I select the appropriate iwad and zdoom loads that iwad and the pwad file I drug and dropped.

Also in windows you can hold the control key and click multiple files, multiple wads, multiple dehaxs whatever tho I can only guess that they load in alphabetical order but zdoom will load all that is drug and dropped.