Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
warmonger

this was really cool [brain popped out]

Maybe so, but is there any chance that further posts in this thread could be at least vaguely on-topic?

Grazza said:

is there any chance that further posts in this thread could be at least vaguely on-topic?

Ok. The brains popping out of the head is cool. Too bad the brain disolves. :P

And it's just funny shooting a Mancubus with the BFG and watching his fat, blubbery ass do cartwheels in the air. ;)

Oh, yeah, sorry about that.

Umm, yeah, I could've swore that the brain is always visible whenever you gib a zombie. Is it only a random thing though?

Anyways, it was like that cool little eyeball you used to see after you gibbed an enemy soldier in Rise of the Triad. Good times.

I had a funny feeling S1lent would be losered in this thread eventually.

But yeah,I only tend to notice the brain popping out with the shotgun.One of the Gameplay movies at Gamespot[The First Imp one]Shows the Brains litterally poping out of the zombies head.

DoomUK said:

lol

But off topic, why do people knock the AI so much? Given the general scenario of the game I think the AI is more than sufficient, if not mind-blowingly amazing.

because the situations you face monsters in is ridiculously unrealistic and constantly reminds you *youre just playing a game*

theres nothing immersive about "monster doors" that only open when your RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM.

whats the point of "AI" at all if the monsters are RIGHT in front of you and NEVER hunt you down?

Frankly, except for the Z-sec guys (which were well done, i wish more onsters were liek them) i could even *tell* if the game had any better AI than the original doom games! Its true that there are some imp manuvers and whatnot.. but those are 100% scripted.

Wobbo said:

because the situations you face monsters in is ridiculously unrealistic and constantly reminds you *youre just playing a game*

theres nothing immersive about "monster doors" that only open when your RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM.

whats the point of "AI" at all if the monsters are RIGHT in front of you and NEVER hunt you down?

Frankly, except for the Z-sec guys (which were well done, i wish more onsters were liek them) i could even *tell* if the game had any better AI than the original doom games! Its true that there are some imp manuvers and whatnot.. but those are 100% scripted.

Well, that's why they have small brains! Though I agree that the Z-sec AI is better than most enemies in Doom3.

Blah. I won't budge: The AI in Doom3 is great, end of story.
Although you're right in saying that the Z-sec zombies are the most intelligent of the bunch...

some AI is good, like zombified marines ducking behind cover, but the rest just seems to come at u w/out reason. not to take anything away from the devs for creating one helluva game, plus the scare factor, but it's pretty much like any other shooter. it is far better looking than many others and this engine is gonna go far. *puts on flame proof suit*:D

Doom3's enemy AI is very subtle. Notice that imps will usualy try to arc their fireballs over any enemies that happen to be standing in front of you (same goes for hell knights). Similarly, Arch-viles will not use their flame wall attack if there's another enemy standing between it and you.

DoomDan said:

I had a funny feeling S1lent would be losered in this thread eventually.

Hehe

But yeah,I only tend to notice the brain popping out with the shotgun.One of the Gameplay movies at Gamespot[The First Imp one]Shows the Brains litterally poping out of the zombies head.

Ya I think I remember that one.

Amaster said:

Doom3's enemy AI is very subtle. Notice that imps will usualy try to arc their fireballs over any enemies that happen to be standing in front of you (same goes for hell knights). Similarly, Arch-viles will not use their flame wall attack if there's another enemy standing between it and you.

hmmm.....hadn't noticed. been too busy tryin to stay alive lol, but now that u mention it...

The brain certainly seems to pop out every time I gib a Zombie. Unfortunately, that makes it a little predictable and dull IMO.

[edit]Heh, I just played again and I noticed that a when I shot and gibbed a headless Zombie a brain popped out of the head that it didn't have. O_o [/edit]

As for the physics/ rag doll stuff, it may look cool when you hit a monster and it goes flying as it disintegrates. However, load up a mod that makes the bodies stick around for a little while before vanishing and the weaknesses in the system will be all too apparent.

Yeah I've seen the brains come out, never thought much about how big/small they were though. If you think it's too small it could just be that not ALL of the brain came out.

About the AI, I don't think Id was trying to give you the impression that the demons are smart. I think the general idea was that Hell has you out-numbered and over-powered, but not out-smarted. That is your advantage, not theirs. The only demon I like to see come off as intelligent is the Arch-Vile, I dunno why but he reminds me of a wizard, casting spells, summoning demons, I'd pay money if he still resurrected dead demons.

I think the AI is pretty good for an id game. In Q2 the enemies would usually be running into walls and have great difficulty following you from room to room. The doom3 enemies (commando's especially) seem to spot you and run half way across a section of the level, up stairs through doors and get to you with ease. I thought that was good AI to a degree.

But yeah i've noticed imps and hell knights throwing fireballs over enemies and still manage to hit you.

Plus their demons not brain surgeons.

DoomDan said:

Quake 2s AI was Overrated and stupid.

Heh, I never knew Quake 2 was supposed to have "good ai" - I bought the game because I casually downloaded a demo/test out of curiosity (after the "train wreck" I found Quake 1 to be, I found the Quake 2 demo to be totally bitching rad awesome), got hooked and decided to buy the game once out (read a few reviews of it first).

I was surprised when, after having played the final version a while, I turned the box (hadn't paid attention to the back of it untill then) and read that the Strogg were supposedly gifted with "killer AI" and I was like "wtf? Those dopes aren't smart!".

If the Enforcers acted like they did in the mission packs (fired at you immediately instead of first reloading, then firing) and if the enemies in general dealt more damage, I would've enjoyed Quake 2 far more than I did (I did enjoy it a lot, but it got old after a several months), but it certainly didn't need "killer AI" to entertain me.

What I like about imp AI is how they actually pick a good hand to throw the fireball with, AND they pause before throwing it so you don't know when to strafe.

dsm said:

If the Enforcers acted like they did in the mission packs (fired at you immediately instead of first reloading, then firing) and if the enemies in general dealt more damage, I would've enjoyed Quake 2 far more than I did (I did enjoy it a lot, but it got old after a several months), but it certainly didn't need "killer AI" to entertain me.

I honestly think the Enforcers from Quake II has some of the Dumbest AI ever put into a game.God those guys were esp. dumb.I though the only enemy that even had some intellengence at all in Quake II were those Gunners.They were pretty cool.

Epyo said:

What I like about imp AI is how they actually pick a good hand to throw the fireball with, AND they pause before throwing it so you don't know when to strafe.

Yeah I love how they pause before they throw sometimes. Another cool thing about the imp I noticed was that sometimes, if an imp is on the other side of a door, he will stand behind the wall on the other side of the door and just stick his arm out to throw so you can't shoot him. I think that qualifies as intelligence and is artificial to boot. I also love how if he misses you a few times he'll really wind up with a fireball, almost like you've pissed him off.

By the way, is there a particular reason why it replaces the word def inate with ********

Can't quite say the Ai for Quake 2 was groundbreaking for its time. I thought Unreal 1 had better ai to name a better example (it's been a while since i played that one)

I think Doom 3 could have relied less on scripted events than Ai imo. I was kinda hoping that the enemies in doom 3 would walk around the level, looking for you (except for certain big nasties) rather than stay on the spot, waiting for you to show up or a scripted event. It would have at least made it a little different each time.

Otherwise, i think the Ai suited the game quite well.

The gunner was extremly dumb. I was able to shoot them, point blank with a DB Shotty without them noticing me. Multiple times. I also kiled pretty much everything else in the room before attackiing them.

Airman266 said:

By the way, is there a particular reason why it replaces the word def inate with ********

Because it's spelt "definite".