Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cyb

prBaddaBoom

In perhaps what is a second sign of the coming apocalypse (the first being the update below this one) a new version of prBoom has been released. Actually, two new versions if you want to get specific; stable and unstable. Changelog snip ahoy!

• network console variables are exchanged now
  • load opengl library only once to prevent error on mode switching
  • reimplemented multipatch textures on two sided lines
  • removed hubs and fragglescript as they are too buggy
  • fixed several endian problems (for PowerPC and Sparc)
  • autorun available in key bindings menu
  • live monster counter for HUD
  • support higher-turning-resolution demos from v1.91

Those are just fixes/additions for 2.3.1, you'll have to go to the page to read the changes for 2.2.5 and then pick which one you want! Or maybe you want both!? The possibilities are endless!

Cyb said:

The possibilities are endless!

Not really.

This is cool though. I'm getting the hankering for some demo recording.

Edit: Odd, I didnt realize multipatch textures were ever de-implemented.

of course I know they aren't endless :P

but yeah, I don't think multi-patch textures were ever unimplimented, just implimented wrong. If you play Phobos with 2.3.0 a lot of the mid-floating textures are messed up which is I assume what he's talking about.

I tried to record a demo using command lines in DOS and it simply prompted me to the screen "G_CheckDemoStatus: Demo recorded" like the 2.3.0 version.

On the bright side, the implementation of higher resolutions and other features were nice.

I still have to go back to 2.2.4 for demo-recording tho =(

Doom Marine said:

On the bright side, the implementation of higher resolutions and other features were nice.

I still have to go back to 2.2.4 for demo-recording tho =(

I'm a bit puzzled by this. You seem to be implying that 2.3.x introduced higher resolutions. Resolutions up to at least 1600x1200 were available in earlier versions: just put "-width 1600 -height 1200" (or whatever you prefer) in the command line, or edit the cfg. Just need to do that once; it remembers the video settings thereafter until you decide to change them.

Note that the software renderer (for 2.2.x at least) seems to be unstable for many people at resolutions above 640x480 (intermission problems, most notably). I'd only recommend higher resolutions than that when using the opengl renderer (glboom.exe).

That's great to know! Fortunately, I use 640 x 400 for all possible port situations. I guess I overlooked the command lines in PrBoom for a while now, even when recording that blasted Map04 of mine in DV at 320 x 200 default resolution. It's not easy telling the difference between a cyberdemon's rocket and imps' fireballs when there's hordes of monsters after you!

I found the latest 2.3.x version a vast improvement over 2.2.4 because (correct me if I'm wrong here) the silly weapon kickback that was plaguing 2.2.4 is eliminated by default.

Um, yes, familiarizing yourself with the various options can save a lot of anguish. You should treat yourself to a look at DV in glboom at a high resolution. It's really quite nice. :)

Doom Marine said:

I found the latest 2.3.x version a vast improvement over 2.2.4 because (correct me if I'm wrong here) the silly weapon kickback that was plaguing 2.2.4 is eliminated by default.

I think you're right, but it just takes a few seconds to get rid of this in 2.2.x (Options - Setup - Weapons - Enable Recoil: NO - then it's written into your cfg file, so you don't have to worry about it again), and -complevel 1 gets rid of it automatically (along with enhanced monster AI, etc.).

kristus said:

pwboom had hubs and fwaggle scwipt?

Heh interesting, I suppose it looks like this

doom --> boom ----> prboom <-(fscript)-, 
     `-> legacy <----'  `----------->smmu
           ^--------(fscript)---------+                         

Doom Marine said:

It's off by default in 2.2.5 as well; and will be off by default in network games from the next release. But it is all configurable anyway.

Sign in to follow this