Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

DNF picks up new engine.

Of course, we all knew this-- but now you can download the PHYSICS DEMO.

I've been playing with this thing for fucking hours, it's brilliant. I can't wait for the team to wrap some exciting(read: destructive) gameplay elements around this engine. Now I'm trying to see how many sticks I can topple by only nudging the one in the corner.

UPDATE: In the very first demo, "Box stack", see if you can remove enough blocks to throw a ball through(press 1-4).

In "Scaffold", see if you can clear the whole platform in one hit(press 5).

Also, in the "Inca" level, it's interesting to see that you can shoot out blocks in a column and the ones on top flop down, still stacked. Like that coin trick.

Still haven't managed to not fall out of the corkscrew, though.

That is very cool, it's hard to pick a favorite, but the corkscrew and water demos were especially fun.

Lord FlatHead said:

Yeah those demos are pretty neat. Enormously misleading thread title, though.

Why's that?

Fredrik said:

Why's that?

Because the physics engine is the new part, I think they kept the rest of the engine intact.

I got those demos ages ago, and it mentioned nothing about DNF. They are just general bits of physics coding developers can licence for thier games, maybe the DNF team have bought them all, but this is NOT the DNF engine

I never said they made the engine themselves.

On a separate note: some drugs, Massive Attack and slow motion mode(F8 key)... and this would be the most fun I've ever had on a PC.

deathbringer said:

I got those demos ages ago, and it mentioned nothing about DNF. They are just general bits of physics coding developers can licence for thier games, maybe the DNF team have bought them all, but this is NOT the DNF engine

I know, I know, just thought some people might go OMGROFL NU ENGINE AGAYNE. But I didn't. Oh no.

This is pretty damn cool, but I've noticed an odd "bug" in the Inca level. If you pick up a block with the mouse button and start spinning it, you can get it to spin/levitate in the air for quite some time. I'll have to mess around with this some more.

Update: I've been able to stretch and detach the limbs of the soldiers in the Ragdoll demo.

Screencaps!

http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/hamburgerminion/images/wtf_1.PNG
http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/hamburgerminion/images/jenga_4.PNG
Please note that you will need to cut and paste those links because Angelfire is Satan.

In the first screenshot, you might notice that long stick and wonder what it is. That's not a stick...that's the ragdoll's arm! I was able to stretch it that far by spinning the doll around very fast. This time I was lucky enough to trap the doll on the platform. Normally the doll just goes flying off the edge from all the spinning. You can do far more bizarre things by spinning the doll, like "blow" the doll apart so that its limbs are miles away from the body. Sometimes the limbs will reform with the body, but most of the time they'll be off flying somewhere else.

The second screenshot shows off an oddity I've only seen in the Inca demo level. You'll notice those blocks are just about to fall, but in fact, they never will. I've been practicing what I call the Jenga technique, which is where I pull out the blocks as far as I can without toppling the structure. That's the most extreme example I've been able to make with the Jenga technique.

Also, I've noticed if you shoot balls at the pillars and knock out the bottom most bricks, the top most bricks will actual be suspended in air until the one below it has fallen, rather than fall with the entire structure. Weird...

Snarboo said:

This is pretty damn cool, but I've noticed an odd "bug" in the Inca level. If you pick up a block with the mouse button and start spinning it, you can get it to spin/levitate in the air for quite some time. I'll have to mess around with this some more.

in the procedural walk demo...(and in fact, most demos) you can "link" pieces of the men (any object really) together.

Select one guys arm just as if you were going to drag him across the ground and hold the right mouse, press the left mouse down after, so both are down at the same time. Then release both mouse buttons. The next thing you click on will lock those two things together forever. You can do this over and over.

You can create gay man piles that the poor bastards can't escape from. Or link a ball to a guys arm and watch as he forever tries to swat it away. the best though, is to link every guy together and don't forget to link the balls either...take the entire spinning mass and fling it as fast as posible and watch the chaotic torrent of spawning body parts flying in every direction.

http://img48.exs.cx/img48/5758/flyingguys.jpg
http://img48.exs.cx/img48/7348/flyingguys1.jpg

Quast said:

in the procedural walk demo...(and in fact, most demos) you can "link" pieces of the men (any object really) together.

The odd thing about linking objects together is that they often don't follow the laws of physics. It's easy to create mini solar sytems, until they run out of momentum and then cluster/hump together. What do you think the point of linking things together is in a phyics demo if they end up behaving strangely?

Added: I just noticed that if you hold the right mouse button down on top of an object for a while and then release it, the object will go flying. You can also severely mess up the piston demo by linking it to any of the falling balls.

More Madness:
Behold, even more detached and horribly lengthened limbs, now in amusing manpile format!

http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/hamburgerminion/images/wtf_manpile.PNG

Snarboo said:

Added: I just noticed that if you hold the right mouse button down on top of an object for a while and then release it, the object will go flying. You can also severely mess up the piston demo by linking it to any of the falling balls.

That's in the README. People do read those anymore, don't they? Also, slow motion mode(press F8) is cool.

Mr. Chris said:

Too little, too LATE to show new stuff after what..5 years?

You do realise that this tech demo has nothing to do with 3d realms, right?