Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LilWhiteMouse

Just another partial conversion

A Furry Tale

A cute (matter of opinion) anthropomorphic single level partial conversion. I apologize for not having any downloads, I need to find someplace I can upload it too.

The sparse page is located here:
http://themouse.topcities.com/title.html

A cute (matter of opinion) anthropomorphic single level partial conversion.

You ain't kidding -- the PC certainly looks "cute". And this, following hot on the heels of Nick's announcement about Chex Quest3.

If you need an upload site, you can try DooM Center, but it's extremely slow right now. Submitting your wad might take forever. Too bad about cdrom.com having closed their idgames folder.

I would upload it to my site, but it's hosted by DooM Center and the hosted sites are currently inaccessible (do you detect a pattern here?) Perhaps some other generous souls will offer to put your wad on their sites.

I cant remember the last time I saw anything quite so frighteningly cute. :-)

Real nice job on the sprites. Very, um, cute.

I look forward to trying it.

I have a playable version of my partial conversion if anyone is interested. The files can be grabbed here:

http://themouse.topcities.com/

It's my understanding that Topcities and download managers/accelerators don't get along so you may need to download the two files normally. Shouldn't be a big deal though, the larger of the two files is only ~700k.

Any reason you didn't make the files available in the commonly-used .zip format, and chose .rar and .r00 format instead? I doubt that too many people will bother downloading your levels if they aren't able to open the file and extract the contents. I checked the official RARSoft site, and the WinRAR utility costs $35.00. Although there is a 40-day trial period, I have decided not to download the software -- I already have too much stuff cluttering up my hard drive.

I had to use rar because zipping results in a file slightly over 1 meg, and my copy of winzip doesn't support multiple file spanning. Topcities has a 900k file size limit so I wouldn't have been able to upload it at all. The only alternative is to make a self extracting RAR arhive, then zip up those files. I can do that if necessary?

I had to use rar because zipping results in a file slightly over 1 meg, and my copy of winzip doesn't support multiple file spanning. Topcities has a 900k file size limit so I wouldn't have been able to upload it at all.

Ah, that explains it.

The only alternative is to make a self extracting RAR arhive, then zip up those files. I can do that if necessary?

Yes, that would work for most people. Let us know when the self-extracting versions are up.

Another alternative is to split your resource lumps and map lumps into separate wads, thereby enabling the zipped version of each to be smaller than 1MB.

Ok, an alternative download is available, the two zips containing a self extracting RAR archive. For convienence:

http://themouse.topcities.com/

For editing purposes, I do have everything in seperate wads; sprites, sounds, flats, etc.. For distribution purposes I thought it was more appropriate to bundle it all up in one tidy wad. I would have put the *.DEH into the wad but I could never get ZDoom to see it.

For editing purposes, I do have everything in seperate wads; sprites, sounds, flats, etc. For distribution purposes I thought it was more appropriate to bundle it all up in one tidy wad.

I'm all for putting everything into a single wad. I just suggested splitting it up because of TopCities' limitations on file size.

I would have put the *.DEH into the wad but I could never get ZDoom to see it.

You need to create a lump in your wad named DEHACKED, which contains your DeHacked patch. ZDooM reads it just fine -- I know, because I just got done with a ZDooM-only project with a built-in DeHacked patch.

Btw, I tried downloading your zips with the self-extracting rars, but your links simply take me to TopCities' home page.

UPDATE: I tried right-clicking the links to download, and it worked fine (I'm using IE 5.0). You may want to indicate this on your page, so that people who try to download the files are not frustrated and give up.

I also noticed that your thumbnails at the bottom of the page have suddenly stopped displaying.

... I just opened up furry1b.zip, and noticed that the archive is not self-extracting. Try again?

UPDATE: Forgive my ignorance -- when installing furry1.exe it prompted me for the next volume required, and asked me to insert the disk with furry1.r00. I simply put the contents of furry1b.zip (i.e., fury1.r00) into my destination directory, and voila!

I'm not sure how many people are familiar with .rar files and formats, but if there are a lot of people like me, they might need some explanation. A text file in furry1a.zip should help.

Ignore me from now on ;)

When I try to run the wad I get this error:

Console font is not of type FON1
GetLastError = 6

A similar error was reported on the ZDooM forums with the recently released Resurrection, and a fix was provided. Unfortunately the fix doesn't work for Furry.

Well, I just tried my mod in the 1.23 Beta 28 version of ZDoom, and I couldn't even get into the game. I get the following error message:

ZDOOM Fatal Error
LANGUAGE had 483 strings.
This version of ZDoom expects it to have 575.

The mod worked fine in Zdoom 1.22, the version I used when building. I'm the newbie here, someone tell me what's going on?

ZDOOM Fatal Error
LANGUAGE had 483 strings.
This version of ZDoom expects it to have 575.

This error message is produced when you run zdoom 1.23 beta 28a with an older version of zdoom.wad. When zdoom was updated to beta 28, Randy had included more text strings in the language lump in zdoom.wad. He then uploaded beta 28a which has the EXE and fmod.dll in the zip, but not the zdoom.wad file.

I am guessing you got beta 28a and unzipped it into your zdoom directory over the top of a pre-beta 28 version. You need to get beta 28, unzip it, and then unzip 28a over it.

You seem to have beta 28a, so here is a link to beta 28

http://zdoom.notgod.com/ftp/123beta28.zip

Oh yeah, and I tried your mod. Cute seems to be the word. I got the impression (without actually checking the patch) that dehacked support still needs quite a bit of work. There was a general lack of things seeming to happen when I tried different weapons and so on (via cheating). Of course, you could just be avoiding letting us see too much yet. The sprites and so on were of a high quality, and most things seemed to be in keeping with your theme.

I hope you keep working on this, and good luck with it.

BTW, I tested it with zdoom beta 28a. I didn't seem to have any problems doing so. Unless something wasn't working that I didn't notice.

Nigel:

Any ideas why I'm getting my error message pertaining to fonts? I'm still using ZDooM V1.23 beta 24. (Perhaps I should try upgrading to beta 28, but that might mess up my current project, more than half of which has been done in beta 24.) Thanks.

ReX

I used the zdoom.wad in the provided zip, and my error went away. I'm not experiencing this font error though. I do notice though, that a lot of my *.deh changes aren't working.

ReX, I found absolutely no compatability problems when moving to beta 28a. It is IMO the most stable and feature rich version so far. Worth changing to.

Any glitches I have personally experienced have been minor ones, and haven't caused me any real headaches.

Darkest Hour worked just fine for me on B28a. :-)

lilwhitemouse, Having said what I just did, I guess my comment about the lack of weapons etc could well be down to me trying your mod with Zdoom 1.23 b28a. I have a very extensive dehacked lump with one of my mods (about 4500 lines of dehacked/bex changes) everything works fine and I have found zdoom's dehacked compatibility to be very solid. I'd be interested to find out what wasn't working if you track down the problem, and I'm sure Randy Heit would too. He has been very willing to incorporate dehacked improvements during version 1.23 developement.

I can only speculate reasons why, but I can list a few of the behavior differences in ZDoom 1.23 and 1.22. The first being 1.23 seems to ignore many of my frames changes, and uses the hardcoded ones.

The very first example is the super shotgun, thing #79, ID# 82. In my patch I changed it to the rocket launcher frame (#882), weapon #5. ZDoom versions under 1.23 as well as Doom went by the frame # to determine what a get-able item is. ZDoom 1.23 seems to use either it's thing # or ID#. This also affects the catnip (thing #54, health potion frame, but 1.23 uses as stim pack), and health up potion (thing# 78, soul sphere fame, but 1.23 uses as shotgun).

Minor issue, but another difference, the codes. I changed the invul, guns & no keys, and clipping codes. ZDoom 1.23 ignores those changes and reverts to the original. No idea why.

Not a dehacked glitch, but a conflict between my patche and features. The new(?) built in wall impact/death frames for the projectiles kinda ruin the effect of the changed weapons. The arrows result in a fading plasma bullet, and daggers leave a black scorch mark and green vein like impression.

The transporter animation reverts to the doom original settings. I bumped it up a few frames because I used the TFOGA0, TFOGB0, and TFOGC0 graphics somewhere else. Againt, no idea why.

That's all I immediatly notice. I've made no hand edits to the patch, exported it directly from DeHackEd v3.1. It works fine in ZDoom 1.22, just not in the 1.23 beta(s?).

Concerning the few weapons, there are only 3: throwing daggers, long bow, and waist cannon. With one additional special "weapon" that isn't used for combat. So that's not a ZDoom issue.

On the gettable items thing, In my mod, all the keys use different frames than their original ones, and still work as pick ups with the correct behaviour. It has been this way since ver 1.22. Mind you, I was just changing the frames the keys used, and not trying to make the item act as another pick up by changing its frames. A few of the other pick ups have been played around with too, but most of this was done via frame and graphic changes. No fundamental change to the way the pickup worked was made by changing the frames, nor was it intended to.

I have made major changes to weapon frame allocations, including totally swapping all the frames from one weapon to another, and extending the animations of weapons using non weapon frames. This all worked perfectly.

Cheat code changing has been disabled in Zdoom 1.23 because it was causing problems, it was a pain in the ass and because of the console in zdoom, you could get round it anyway.

My mod also edits the teleport fog and item respawn fog frames. The teleport uses a shortened animation, and calls on different frames to normal (though the first frame is the same) and the Item respawn fog uses a colour shifted version of the edited teleport fog. I have also used different sprites for these, and completely reallocated the IFOG grahics to something else.

My mod actually started off as one for BOOM, and has slowly been added to and updated through Zdoom 1.22 and all Zdoom 1.23 betas. The process has been pretty painless. I can't remember any time where anything major just stopped working. The only things were where I had done something a little wrong and Zdoom had got a bit fussier between versions. In those cases, what I had done had worked more by luck than anything else in the earlier version, and I was kind of greatfull that Zdoom had picked up my error for me. Although with a patch as big as I am using, it can be a bitch to track down.

So, what I am trying to say is most of what you seem to be trying to do should be possible with Zdoom 1.23. Possibly through a slightly different route to what you had initially tried, but it should be possible.

It is always worth double checking things like have you made sure you correctly set "next frame" numbers in the frame table, and correctly allocated durations and code pointers to them. Also double check the things to see if the "bits" are as you want them, and other fields like first frame, attack frame, death frame and so on are also correct. If you have a conflict between those things, you may be convinced you have got things right, but Zdoom could be reading the one bit you forgot to change/changed incorrectly and is using that to determine the behaviour. It's happened to me plenty of times anyway.

On the Zdoom Decals, you can switch them off by typing CL_Maxdecals 0 at the console (Type CL_Maxdecals 1024 to return to the default value). Or you could include invisible graphic replacements for the decal lumps in your mod, or even create your own decals. They are defined in the DECALDEF lump in Zdoom.wad. It took me a little while to get my head round, but it is actually fairly straight forward, and I have manged to create a set of totally new decals for my own use.

I have checked my frame numbers and such. For example, the teleport flash. It has it's initial frame set at frame #135, and continues on through to frame #141. Frame #141 has it's next frame set at 0, and it's duration set at 6 (same as all the other frames). When I run my patch in ZDoom 1.23, it behaves as if frame #130 is the initial frame.

How does ZDoom 1.23 determine what an item is? It's ID#?

Ok, just tried messing about with the teleport flash, you do indeed seem to have spotted a zdoom problem. Setting the intitial frame of the teleport flash to anything other than 130 was just ignored. I tried setting it to 142, to get it to use the item fog, and it didn't. The same patch worked with PRBOOM.

I have, as I said before, managed to get the item fog to use the teleport flash before, so this doesn't affect all such things (and many other items in my wad have all sorts of changed frames). I am guessing it will be an easy fix for Randy to update the DEHSUPP lump in zdoom.wad and sort this out. I'll mention it on the zdoom forum.

Messing about with frames after 130 was fine though, and the attributes of frame 130 itself could be changed.

ID number is not used by Zdoom to identify things. In fact, it is possible to give things entirely new ID #'s. For example, my mod doesn't use the BFG original behaviour, so the BFG shot and explosion items are not needed. The have ID #'s of -1 as they are spawned in game. You cannot use the -1 to place the thing in a map using an editor, so I gave them my own ID #'s of 4050 and 4051, hacked them to have the attributes of enemies and used DeePsea to place them in a map. It works just fine. :-)

AFAIK, Zdoom uses the first (uneditable) Thing Number field to identify things (eg player Thing Number 1, Trooper 2 etc).

So, with the ZDoom 1.23, I can't change what items are dropped by things? Reason I ask is, my patch replaces all the dropped items. Treasure chests (shotgun guy) drops a health up potion (soul sphere), the dragon (trooper) gives you a yellow key, and the cavalry (chaingunner ) results in a normal royal guard enemy (demon). I have no gripes if this isn't possible in 1.23+, I'll just switch back to 1.22. I'd just like to be able to make note somehwere of that necessity when distributing the patch (and others like it).

Thank you for your help so far.

Ahhh! I see what you are doing with this now. As far as I can tell, with the way things are set up with zdoom 1.23 ATM, you won't be able to change what is dropped using the method you have been.

I don't know if this is of any use to you, but if you are editing in full ZdoomHexen mode, however, it is possible to get any enemy to drop virtually any item you want (including keys, powerups, weapons...). Whilst this has to be set for each and every creature you want to drop something special, it is very flexible. So it isn't good for making universal changes like making all troopers drop soul spheres or something, but you can make key enemies (no pun intended) drop something vital for level completion. Of course, all sorts of other fancy things can be done on the death of an enemy via scripts and so on too.

To make this work, you give the creature that will be doing the dropping a thing id (tid) in your map editor, and give it a "thing special" of thing spawn or thing spawn nofog. You then set the thing to be spawned, and the tid of the map spot for the item to be spawned at. If you make this tid value the same as that of the creature, the item is spawned wherever the creature is when it dies.

I'm not sure how other editors do it, but it is very easy with DeePsea. You just select the thing you want to drop an item and edit it. In the thing type menu there is a thing special option. This will keep on popping up context sensitive menus until you have set all the required parameters and you have a creature that will drop an unusual item.

BTW, I did mention this over at the Zdoom forum, on this thread:

http://www.notgod.com/phorum/read.php?f=11&i=1642&t=1642

Someone might post something helpful in reply there.

Edit:
Hmm, yes the difference is quite clear. A dehacked patch with the following:

Thing 64 (Ammo Clip)
Initial frame = 842

In zdoom 1.22 will make all clips (dropped or otherwise) behave as soul spheres. In zdoom 1.23, they look like soul spheres, but behave/have the same effect as clips.

Randy Heit replied to the above Zdoom forum thread. For good reasons (which he explains there) the old dehacked behaviour of being able to swap pick up types by swapping the frames they use will not be restored for Zdoom 1.23.

Whilst this might be awkward for your project, I would still suggest you consider the other features of Zdoom 1.23 before deciding to stick with 1.22. There is a whole boat load of stuff possible via editing, scripting, sndinfo and other things that might be of use to you that isn't in version 1.22.

Does this mean that Furry needs to be played in ZDooM v1.22 for full effectiveness?

To Enjay: I'm sure 1.23+ is more powerful and such, if you know how to use (and abuse) it. Scripts and such confuse me to no end. I'll leave the bells and whistles of ZDoom and other ports to the adventuresome folks such as yourself.

To ReX: Yes, 1.22 is actually required if you want to "finish" the patch without cheating. Sorry. You're not missing much anyhow.

I guess if 1.22 is doing what you want then there is no need to change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :-)

"Furry" does play better on 1.22, that much is true.

I look forward to playing the finished thing, as and when it is done.

I look forward to playing the finished thing, as and when it is done.

It's not finished? I thought this was the whole deal.

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong. It was this:

I have a playable version of my partial conversion if anyone is interested.

That gave me the impression it was a work in progress, and there was more to come. Maybe I read too much into it. LilWhiteMouse?

To borrow from George Lucas, I never finish a project, only abandon it. I'll always be tweaking things until the day it get's lost for good, but otherwise, yeah it's "finished". I mentioned that this PC was short and simple. I've run out of ideas to throw into the first level and I did almost all I planned to. The only things left on my to-do list is to replace the music and fix the bouncing cavalry bug.