Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Demon Hunter

Are there any DOOM 2 alphas?

The answer is: None that we know of.

Since Doom 2 is basically just a new set of levels and a few new monsters id Software probably didn't see any need to circulate any alpha versions.

The main versions were 1.666 and 1.9 (both the wad and the exe were different), and there were a number of versions in between. There were no shareware releases of any kind, or any alphas released (1.666 was the initial commercial release). There are patches to upgrade from 1.666 to 1.9 (and the various ones in between), but I don't know of any way to downgrade from 1.9.

Note that the 1.9 executable for Doom2 is identical to the 1.9 executable for Doom (i.e. the 3-episode version, prior to Ultimate Doom). See my post here for a couple of links to information about the various Doom versions. Also this.

Why should there be alphas?

The engine was complete before the release of the game and all that was added to the EXE was:

- the new monsters
- some new linedef types
- one sector type
- the Doom2 'storyline' and level names

All of these could be easily and quickly tested before release of the game. With Doom 1 it was different because the alphas document the development of the engine which is a completely different matter.

Graf Zahl said:

...all that was added to the EXE was:

- the new monsters
- some new linedef types
- one sector type
- the Doom2 'storyline' and level names

and the double shotgun.

S1lent said:

Are there any Doom 1 alphas?

yes.

Heh, I always thought it funny that the link to the Doom 1 alphas on the main page of DoomWorld was under the Doom 3 section.

That's because it was a joke designed to irritate people thinking they could get the Doom III alpha right off the mainpage. That he had to sort it incorrectly as Doom III to do so pretty much ruined the funny for me.

There was some public and media demos. Who posted those three early shots of the pain elemental with caco attacks? I heard there was once a leaked version of the public demo many years ago. Circeling old bbs' at one time.