Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da meen green dude!

Icon of Sin

What exactly is the Icon of Sin, is it the devil? A weapon of the devil?
And what is that wierd stuff it says to you at the begining of that level? Why is there so many of them? Why is it called "Icon of Sin"?
Just curious...

It says "To win this game You must kill me, John Romero", only backwards.

The Icon of Sin was based loosely on Baphomet.

Google up the Templar Knights and you'll probably dig up a ton of info on this particular idolated figure.

If you use the end-boss texture as an icon on your computer, and click it 666 times with your left mouse button, you summon Baphomet to the mortal world.

its actually the doomguy's evil brother. When they were kids Doomguy always got the attention, so Icon became twisted and evil, more machine now than man.

Foofoo said:

its actually the doomguy's evil brother. When they were kids Doomguy always got the attention, so Icon became twisted and evil, more machine now than man.

It's true,Said so in Id Anthology.

Anime200 said:

If "The Icon of Sin" is an icon, doesn't that mean there should be a real sin?

Sin is an act or thought, silly person.

Foofoo said:

HAHAHA... that the funnyist thing i ever heard, wher'ed u read that, can u give me a link?

It was probably in a book, which you have to buy, from a shop, using money (this seems to be an impossible concept for some people to grasp nowadays)

Foofoo said:

no its not from a book. i made it up, on the spot.

im a jenios, j00 sea.

not a jenios....A SUPERJENIOS!!!!!!

genius? who said anything about genius? must be replying to the wrong thread i think.

myk said:

If you use the end-boss texture as an icon on your computer, and click it 666 times with your left mouse button, you summon Baphomet to the mortal world.

Does the resolution affect the result? =P

The Icon of sin is one of the lamest bosses ever.Id software always comes up with stupid Final Boss fights.

Spike said:

The Icon of Sin was based loosely on Baphomet.

Google up the Templar Knights and you'll probably dig up a ton of info on this particular idolated figure.

Heh I've never understood people who woship evil. They must be pretty depressed.

myk said:

HOLY CRAP would that be cool or what?

Just make sure you've got the resolution set high enough, otherwise you'll get a really big pixely baphomet, and noone wants that. Well...I guess it wouldn't be any different from the original Icon of Sin.

Since people are thinking too much into the Doom2 end boss. here is my response

The End boss looked cool and that was it.
It was a combination of ideas crosses between Baphomet and the evil satanic god Moloch as seen in early 40's horror cult movies. I think they used it's face because..
A. it was too detailed to make it any smaller
B. it wouldn't have fit well if it was on a monsters head.
C. it would have been too pixelated
D. ID oringially planned an all out battle with Satan but due to engine restraints the best they could do was make it a large devil head. Hence forth the Icon of Sin.
E. if you read the end of final doom and the doom novel, it was in fact a a gateway sculpture not a boss.
F. cyber demon in doom3 would have owned the icon's ass with 3 rockets
G.Icon: a symbol
H. Icon of Sin hmmm lets think about it well It is an interpretation of Satan.
I. the devil being the father of Sin or symbolic of evil and sin
J. yes this is a list
K. no i dont give a shit

I'm not dissing doom but if youve ever played Hexen and seen the walls with Korax face then fight Korax at the end this was supposed to the the equivalent in doom with seeing the devil going to hell fighting the devil

INSTEAD WE GET JOHN ROMERO

insertwackynamehere said:

Heh I've never understood people who woship evil. They must be pretty depressed.

Baphomet isn't evil; just a representation of the Horned God (wiccan/pagan deity)

the icon of sin is just basically the cliche run-of-the-mill image of 'the great evil satan', thats why he looks like that. as if id would research this shit.

plus, you know those marble faces in Doom1? Theres a marble face for each of the bosses in the game, PLUS a marble face for the icon of sin face in doom2. Am i right on this??

Not at all, the icon of sin marble blocks were used more in the original Doom than in Doom II. Look for instance at E2M8. Plus there's no marble block for a spiderdemon in either game, but the first Doom has a marble block for the arch vile.

sargebaldy said:

the first Doom has a marble block for the arch vile.

That's what I thought too originally, but I found out some time ago that the face isn't the Arch-Vile's. Unfortunately I don't remember who said it (probably Romero) and where.