• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ralphis`

millennium

nn

Better.

Anyways, kinda hard to say. I'm working on beta v0.90 at the moment, so I'd say around 90%. There won't be much difference in what's already done between beta v0.90 and the final game, but it's what isn't in the beta that will make the last 10%. Right now we're primarily focused on the boss and his arena. Zaldron's making an entire texture set for the thing. I'm not sure who's going to design the actual level yet, but it's certainly not going to be me. If Joel is able to code all that we have planned, this just *might* be the most complex and toughest boss in a Doom game/addon yet.

For levels, most are 95% complete. I'm going through the entire game at the moment level-by-level and fixing anything and everything I can find wrong, including item placement, difficulty settings, texture offsets, odd/improper lighting and shadow angles, custom floor textures... the difficulty settings are taking FOREVER. For example, we have a double-pistol, which ranks between regular pistol and chaingun in terms of firepower. But all the maps starting with level 2 had chaingunners, which rendered it a somewhat useless weapon. So I had to remove most of the chaingunners from levels 2 to 5 and substitute them with other enemies, re-test the difficulty and all that. It's the testing that really makes it a lengthy process, 'cause if you're gonna get it right, you have to start from map01 each time. I just finished up to map06 this evening. I don't know how much time I'll spend on the rest. I'm still looking for somebody to tidy up maps 07-11. 21-25 are mine, so that leaves 12-20 that I have touchups to do on. Most of those are in pretty good order so the most I'll be doing there is adding monsters. One guy left a shitload of voids in his three maps, and I've corrected two of them so far. The third one won't take too long. It's a pain retexturing the entire level though.

After that I have to get the final engine setup organized, which includes intermission storylines and graphics for each level, mapname changes, enemy tweaks and AI programming, as well as level continuity changes, all of which have to be planned before we can begin implementing. Fortunately, these are all very simple things and easy to code (most consist of modifying existing variables), so this part won't take too long. We'll most likely be changing the engine to support 26 standard maps, 4 secret maps, and 9 DM levels.

Currently there is more music than maps, but finding which map to stick which song to is driving me nuts. All the music is really cool but it's not always appropriate for the mood of the maps. That's really my biggest hang-up right now.

Zaldron's on the textures and sprites. I never hear much from him besides "they're getting done", so ask him for specifics. From what I understand, it won't be too long until most of them are done. I've already gotten a few previews and they all look great.

I just realized about a week ago that there are NO new sounds for any of the new weapons or monsters. Fortunately Julian is able to help out here, so I don't have to worry about that any longer. I may make/modify a few when I get the soundpack from him, but I assume they'll be pretty final.

So, overall it's coming along quite nice, if a bit slow. When I get the next beta out I'll be getting some good feedback from the beta testers (who've been waiting almost 6 weeks now) and then it'll really pick up. After I've made any necessary changes they suggest and play through the game a final time, it'll be out.

And I can finally leave the basement again :)

We'll most likely be changing the engine to support 26 standard maps, 4 secret maps, and 9 DM levels.

Are you building off another port or adding a new netcode to yours for the dm levels?

When I get the next beta out I'll be getting some good feedback from the beta testers (who've been waiting almost 6 weeks now) and then it'll really pick up.

Thanks for saving me the trouble, Lüt :P

I guess it's my turn.

I've been pretty slow in terms of graphics these last days thanks to my not-so-legal installation of XP way before Discreet released any kind of support for their programs on this enviroment. It's been like only a week since MAX started behaving again. In the meantime, I've been doing misc. stuff, like Nimrod's "almost done" banner on Unholy Software.

Ok so what about my progress? It's turning out nicely, altough I'm far behind any member working on Millennium, mostly because I'm a raving idiot who likes to go beyond what was initially planned. I've decided lately that I won't change the entire DooM texture set because, hey, everyone likes it apparently. I'll have a far more rewarding job repairing the weapon models, starting from scratch certain enemies sprites, adding new gfx and finishing that mighty boss. We don't even know his name yet ^_^

Then there's the non-game specific data, shit like final sequences and intermission screens. While we don't really know yet how the final sequence will turn out to be, it should look cool. IMO the best thing about Millennium is the reward you'll by playing against the boss and being able to beat him.

Well, that's it, things should go faster now. For all you beta testers, right now I'm changing that god awful crosshair for the HRL. :D

For all you beta testers, right now I'm changing that god awful crosshair for the HRL. :D

ALLELUIA

Heh.. sounds pretty much what is going on with Nimrod.. ;)

The last 10 % of a project is the worst 10% that you ever will encounter.. they suck..

Zaldron: Looks like your really busy there..

Hmm..
Yeah I guess that's my 2 cents

Woah, I wasn't really paying attention to Melinnium, but it sounds cool. What engine/source port does it run on?

Oh heh yeah.. Keep up the good work :p

Oh, Ebola, the Nimrod sequences are almost done. I just wanted to ask you when's supposed to be released, so I'm not the reason it gets delayed.

Zaldron: Cool send it to me as soon as youre done.. I gotta include it and script it and such.. But I doubt it'll hold Nimrod back..

But It's only that and some sounds and scripts left.. (aside from the 3 maps that's not done too, but it'll be soon aswell)

Are you building off another port or adding a new netcode to yours for the dm levels?

I don't even know. The game's engine is MBF-based, I'm assuming you'd run MP like you always ran MP for Doom. It won't have any of that ZDaemon-like client/server stuff.

For all you beta testers, right now I'm changing that god awful crosshair for the HRL. :D

I'm gonna have alternating crosshairs anyways, like you choose a cross, angle, dot, the custom graphic (maybe a few different ones), etc.