Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Spike

Warhammer Armies

I noticed a few people are/have been WH/WH40K collectors. To those in question: which armies do/did you own, and what kind of units were each army made up of?
Here's my quick run-through...

Tyranids
1 Hive Tyrant (Venom Cannon, Talons + Hive mind powers)
The Red Terror
3 Tyrant guard
3 Warriors (2 Deathspitters + Talons, 1 Venom Cannon + Talons) x2
12 Hormagaunts
12 Termagants (Fleshborers)
12 Termagants (Devourers)
10 Genestealers
3 Biovores
2 Zoanthropes (Warp Blast)
2 Lictors
3 Raveners (2 Deathspitters + Talons, 1 Claws + Talons)
1 Carnifex (Barbed Strangler, Talons)

Jay's got a 1000pt Dark Eldar Army, and my brother passed on a few Blood Angel and Ork units, too, so I've been painting em up on his behalf.

I thought about doing WarHammer....but I didn't.

1. I can't paint models.
2. Too expensive
3. Not enough people in my area play it to make it worth the money.

I never play in stores (geek factor in the high 90s), but i've got a few friends and relatives who i play skirmishes with.

LOL Geek? If you're played a 10 yr old game and you're posting on an online forum about it, than you too have a pretty good geek factor.

S1lent said:

LOL Geek? If you're played a 10 yr old game and you're posting on an online forum about it, than you too have a pretty good geek factor.

Guess we're all geeks to some degree. Luckily i've got an actual life to go with it.
The 'geek' factor i refer to is people sat over games making machinegun noises as shots are fired and spending the entire of their meagre wages on the models which, as you mentioned, are pretty bloody expensive for hunks of plastic and pewter.

I've played only twice, I just enjoyed painting them. There's still some I need to finish one day.

As follows:

Chaos Spacemarines (the best in terms of coolness)

Chaos Lord
Kharn The Betrayer
16 chaos marines (flame thrower, rocket launcher, flamethrower, swords, axes, some other thingy)
2 chaos marine champions (plasma pistol, 1 has power fist, other has sword)
11Khorne Beserkers (chain axes, chain swords,)
1 Khorne Berserker champion (plasma pistol, Axe of Khorne)
1 Rhino Transport
6 Blood Letters of Khorne (gotta love them crazy blood soaked bastards)
3 chaos motor cycles <-- still need to assemble and paint

I have one unit, which is a Blood Angel heavy flamer.

I'd like to get some tyranids, though, and paint them according to the older Space Hulk style color scheme. Then again, some more Blood Angels would also be nice, as would either a WH40k set or a Space Hulk set.

Spike said:

Guess we're all geeks to some degree. Luckily i've got an actual life to go with it.
The 'geek' factor i refer to is people sat over games making machinegun noises as shots are fired and spending the entire of their meagre wages on the models which, as you mentioned, are pretty bloody expensive for hunks of plastic and pewter.

Ah yes, those. Being a geek isn't a bad thing if you don't let it go too far... you know, to the point of an all consuming thought and obsession.

While my existing WH40K army is just sitting collecting dust I have a dream that I am slowly working on:

--- The flying tyranid army. ---

If you read the Tyranid codex carefully you will come to see that it is very possible to construct a 1500 point swarm purely out of flying creatures.

The whole plan hinges on two rather cheesy exploits:

1. Ripper Swarms apparantly stay Troop choices even if outfitted with wings. (All other troops become Fast Attack).

2. Tyranid warriors always become Fast Attack when outfitted with wings BUT if the entire brood is uniformly equipped with Venom Cannons or Barbed Stranglers they count as Heavy Support.

Of course Hive Tyrants will always be HQ choises no matter what you do to them.

The army will be built as follows:

HQ:
2 Hive Tyrants
(I am not completely decided on whether they will have Venom Cannons or just four Scything talons).

Troops:
A token force of 2 five strong Ripper Swarm broods.

Fast Attack:
1 brood of 10 Gargoyles.
1 brood of 10 winged Gaunts with Scything Talons.
1 brood of 5 winged Tyranid Warriors with Scything Talons and Rending Claws.

Heavy Support:
2 broods fo winged Tyranid Warriors with Venom Cannons and Scything Talons.

Now I know this army is not very tactically sound. It has very low numbers and is also rather fragile. The mobility and speed is superb though.

Tyranids

1 Tyrant

6 warriors

Boivore

12 genestealers

8 termies

8 hormies

2 raveners

Old one eye

2 Zoanthropes...

I cant remember any more

I used to have the old tyranid army before they updated it along with the new Warhammer40k. I had something like

1 Tyrant with Barbed strangeler lash whip and sword
1 Carnifex
2 Tyranid warriors - one with a deathcannon (?) and another with a pair of boneswords and spike thing
12 Termagants (6 with fleshborers, 3 with spike rifes and 3 with those webguns)
12+ Genestealers
4 Hormagants
3 Pod things with a Biovore
3 Gargoyles
1 Zoanthrope
1 Lictor

Been so long. I still kept the manuals and codexes though, because i liked the art and shit.

Ah, I liked the old Tyranids. Unbalanced as hell, but fun.

The carnifex was a TANK!

9 Toughness
10 wounds (that means hit points for the uninitiated)
A fuckin' 3+ Terminator Save!!
Oh yeah, let's not forget the 4+ power field save as well.
(I am assuming the Voltage field and Hardened Exoskeleton biomorphs).

And a single Genestealer could slay a 10 man Space Marine squad without breaking a sweat.

I've got a love / hate thing going with warhammer 40K. I love the depth of the background, I love the old 'comedy' orks. Stuff like teleporting snotlings through spacetime using the Shokk Attack Gun so they appear inside some filthy terminator's jockstrap, the bubble chukka, the hop splat field gun. All genius, all sadly dead now GW made the orks big stupid killing machines. And the amount of backgroud GW is putting into their books these days is pathetic, kids don't have a clue about the universe they are fighting in and what they DO keep they change so it's more fitting with the OMG I R GOTH blackness that GW have got going at the moment.

I had a thing for nurgle space marines a while back as well, back when nurgle was the chaos god of flatulence rather than cancer. Basically the new model ranges have removed every ounce of humour from the game, the new rules are over simplified and I much prefered the old style game of heroic characters twatting each other whist armies raged in the background.

So yeah, second edition rules all the way.

Edit: omg orkse

Little Faith said:

And a single Genestealer could slay a 10 man Space Marine squad without breaking a sweat.

Hell I remember that in the previous edition of Tyranids. A full squad of Dark Angels were ambushed by 5 of my genestealers. I lost two, while the marines were wiped out.

They should have kept the high point-cost and the razor sharp claws, as opposed to the new 'Rending Claws' that ignore armour saves on a 6. Pfft.

Incidently, have you seen the Tyranid Titans and Forgeworld? There's a whole bunch of new Tyranid models that are, quite frankly, fucking huge (check out that Harridan brood-mother used to drop Gargoyles into battle). As always, phear the pricetag.

So many people with Tyranids :P

I was going to play Dark Eldar, but ended up playing Necrons instead. That said, I have about 16 Dark Eldar Warriors, 5 painted and glued, another 5 glued, and another 6 I haven't even touched yet.

As for my Necron Army...

1x Necron Lord

24x Necron Warriors

2x Wraiths

2x Destroyers

4x Scarab Swarms

1x C'tan Nightbringer

I have a couple armies that could be playable under certain circumstances:

Army Prima: Tyranids
This is my latest army, and I made it with one thing in mind: to make an unstoppable swarm of melee killing machines. Total amount spent on my army: $0 Behold, the power of generosity! The list is as follows:

HQ
3 Tyranid Warriors (Rending Claws + Scythign Talons)
3 Lictors
2 Genestealer broods (12 models each)
1 Ripper swarm, 3 bases
1 Homagaunt Brood, 32 models (alf of which are just Terms without scything talons ATM)
1 Ravener (double Scything Talons)
1 Carnifex (double Scythign Talons, actualy a Old One Eye model, but I never play games small enough to use him)
1 Zoanthrope (Warp Blast)
3 Biovores (loaded with everything)
1 Red Terror

It comes out to 1850 points because thats what my friends all play at what with their huge ass armies and such. I had to beef a lot of them up with special additional stuff to get up that high, but that made some of them (especialy the carnifex) rather hard to kill. So far, it is 0-2. The first was against chaos, and they had this huge fucking spider thing (can't remember the name, any help?) sitting on the objective that I just couldn't take out. I almost did with a spore mine or two, but bad rolling made it not be so. The second one was against the Tau. I got screwed with terrain there, having to run up these alleyways where his troops sat at the ends of, firing their 5 million guns. I also had some really bad rolls, such as not getting higher than a 3 for my gaunts extra move and my spore mines floating back towards me, whereupon he'd shoot them to shit and take out all my units in the area (had that problem in the first game too, guess I should check the winds direction before deploying :P). Also, it was really late and I was getting rather tired. I swear, this army CAN kick some serious ass.

Army Secundus: Space Marines
My first army, I put this together when I was just starting out, just buying what I thought was cool. As a result, I didn't win too much, though I did slaughter this one guy's Eldar HQ, avatar included using only one tactical squad, one terminator squad, and a land speeder. I took out his whole army except his stupid fire prism which vaporised the last half of my tactical squad. I WOULD play this army still, but it has been through many paint schemes, the last being the stupid Black Templars which I tried to play as but later realised sucked, and I don;t think the models can hold up to another recoloring without turining them into shapeles blobs. Also, I lost many models after they spent too long in bad storage so I'd have to re-arrange my previous setup. Total spent on this army: $200-$500. The models I have are as follows:

3 full tactical squads, minus a few models that were crushed or melted (long story), but plus a few that I accumulated and used for HQ inculding the following weapons: 2 flamers, 3 rocket launchers, a lascannon, and a plasma cannon (shh!).
1 Terminator squad of 5 minis
3 landspeeders with crushed bases
1 Librarian
1 Techmarine (one of my favorite paint jobs)
1 Land Raider Crusader, unpainted (after 2-3 years, I STILL havn't figure out how to get the hurricane bolters on it. It's IMPOSSIBLE I tell you!)
1 Dreadnaught (my favorite paint job of all time, stands guard proudly atop my monitor)
3 Bikes
1 Assult squad fo 5 models
1 Scout squad of 5 models

So yeah, it was a huge waste of money but I think karma has payed me back with my free Tyranid army. And perhaps one day I shall get this army repainted and in working condition and all will be well.

Spike said:

Yeah, I played at the local hobby shop a few times and the people there were...WEIRD. There were 30-40 year old guys there who spent their entire paychecks on this stuff and didn't even bother to shower or shave, for they appeared to be smelly linux users at first glance/whiff. Then they'd get all pissed off if you didn't know some obscure rule and they'd think you were trying to chat them or something. Christ, it's just a game. Luckily, I have a freind who worked at Wizards of the Coast when they closed all their retail stores and he managed to snag his store's entire collection of terrain and boards, some of it professionaly done by Games Workshop people. Also, I have plenty of friends who play so there's no lack of opponents. The people I know have the following armies, one each: chaos, necrons, orks, tau, and eldar. So we have a rather mixed contingient of players. When I first started playing, everyone played fucking Chaos qho I hate. One of my friends owwned me pretty much every day with his unsoppable POS Khorne Berzerker army. Luckily he plays Chaos Undivided now, who are much easier to take care of.

Danarchy said:

my spore mines floating back towards me, whereupon he'd shoot them to shit and take out all my units in the area (had that problem in the first game too, guess I should check the winds direction before deploying :P).

[/b]

AFAIK, spore mines can't harm Tyranid units... there's no specific section of the Tyranid Codex that states otherwise, but I could have sworn it was mentioned in the rule book.

Also, it was really late and I was getting rather tired. I swear, this army CAN kick some serious ass.

I get the same problem; Bryan's (my brother's) Blood Angels and Jay's Dark Eldar - specifically her Talos - tend to shred my units, but it's largely because I make retarded decisions in battle which I always put down to tiredness.

Yeah, I played at the local hobby shop a few times and the people there were...WEIRD. There were 30-40 year old guys there who spent their entire paychecks on this stuff and didn't even bother to shower or shave, for they appeared to be smelly linux users at first glance/whiff. Then they'd get all pissed off if you didn't know some obscure rule and they'd think you were trying to chat them or something. Christ, it's just a game.

They terrify me, seriously. There should be a 'Compulsory Shower On Entry' sign posted above the GW door. Incidently, there seems to be a hyperactively enthusiastic bloke called Andy working at EVERY SHOP IN THE UK. Perhaps they're cloning staff *shudders*