Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CacoMarine

Death animation of Lost Soul and Pain Elemental

Don't you find it weird that when you blast that Lost Soul or barrel away that pesky Pain Elemental (or "Painy") it never gives you frame to prove that you actually killed it?

A suggestion: either the programmers were too lazy (though I doubt) or the Doom/Doom 2 source code was perhaps somehow limited? I've planning a patch which would make a corpse for Lost Soul and Pain Elemental ('cause you never get less kills in ratio screen even though you'd let them live)

The frames are easy to change, but as for the code, something (as I could figure) would have to be replaced in order to have that LS or Painy corpse animation there. I know, this isn't the best of things, but this really bugs me, especially in Zdoom edition where they are really just "ghosts" which you don't even have to kill.

Anyone know how to achieve this?

It blows up and disappears, WTF is the problem

It's neither that they were lazy or the code was somehow limited, it's that they BLOW UP AND DISAPPEAR

And WTF, Pain Elementals affect kill %

Right. If Pain Elementals or Lost Souls are smushed by a door or crusher between the (very short) time they call the Fall codepointer and they transfer to the S_NULL state, which signifies for them to be removed from the game, they will turn into gibs like any other enemy. Apparently either id made a mistake or they were aware of this, because the Pain Elemental has resurrection frames (hence the ability for ghost Pain Elementals to exist). If you added resurrection frames for the Lost Soul, the same thing could happen there as well.

If they did leave a corpse-frames for them, they would be incredibly annoying with respawn monsters on.

Also, the beta versions of Doom had different lost souls and they did leave a pile of shattered bones lying around. However, something was a little borked with them and they didn't lie properly on the ground. As the monster fell, the bone shards dropped but then jumped up a bit on the last frame. Could just be a sprite offset problem?

Also (again), this explains why there is a "dead lost soul" thing coded into the exe. Presumably it was there for the betas (where it would have looked like a pile of broken bones) and never removed when they changed the lost soul behaviour.

Also (yet again) the lost sould has a different bit of code in it to most monsters. The lost soul does not drop when it is killed. It is the only monster that behaves like this. All other monsters drop when their death pointers are used but the lost soul has a routine built in to stop it dropping.

And finally, the PE (possible explanation) - doesn't leave a body because he blows up and whatever is left of his essence generates up to 3 lost souls. So he certainly leaves something behind.

It's possible, but I don't really see the point. There's enough dead bodies left lying around after most battles that a few piles of lost soul bones wouldn't amount to much.

If you really want it, add it yourself with zDoom or something. :p

I know the Lost Soul just explodes,the Pain Elemental also explodes spawning about 4 more Lost Souls,like as if they burst out of the Elemental.