Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

Barber vs. Beauty Salon

Earlier this week, I entrusted my friend Andy here in Japan to pick out a new haircut for me. She chose this style:

http://www.du.edu/~ahunt/newhair1.jpg
http://www.du.edu/~ahunt/newhair2.jpg

Now, I like it, but it doesn't quite feel the same as my older style. I'm wondering if it's since for most of my life, I've had either my old style haircut or a crew cut, and have always gotten it at a barber shop from real barbers. This time I got it from a Japanese beauty salon (for about 3x the price).

What's everyone's position on this? Do you guys prefer barber shops or salons?

If it's a choice between looking like a strange nerdish freak and a normal guy, as it seems to be in your case, then I'd definitely say salon all the way. Now you just need to buy a pair of tweezers.

You look better now I think. Just shave that shit off your face, use something to help clear up your face a bit. Also, hit the gym, I'm not saying you're fat, but it worked for me, you go to the gym, and it tones your body, and it seems to also help make the face more attractive as well, it's kinda weird how it does it, but once it takes any fat out of the face, or just tones it a little from workouts and losing weight, it helps.

I prefer the salon. Hot gals, and they're excellent stylists.

I think your new style looks great, it looks better than the old one. (Not that the old one was bad.) Though to be honest, when you said you got a haircut or whatnot in Japan, I was hoping to see like, SSJ hair or some crazy spikey blue hair that nothing could defy.

That would rule.

I agree with the second response.

- Shave off all the facial hair except the eyebrows...and even those could use a trim
- Use something to clear up your face. I'd recommend a medication called Acutain. Of course, you'd need a perscription.
- Keep the new haircut, the other one looks stupid.

I have a question though. In the 3rd pic you posted, of the old haircut, what's with the water bottle hanging off the ceiling from the string?

Also, I like your little station and all the anime :)

S1lent said:

- Use something to clear up your face. I'd recommend a medication called Acutain. Of course, you'd need a perscription.

Do you mean Accutane? In any event, for me at least, it works quite well, however the side effects are troublesome, and I got the habit of not washing since it stops oil production by at least 80%. And well, my face was clear for about two months after I was done my 5 month trial, but then it came back. :D

But hey, I find acne + me = hot. :D

Captain Red said:

I'm Beautful on the inside.

Lets see that uvula shine then.

S1lent said:

I agree with the second response.

- Shave off all the facial hair except the eyebrows...and even those could use a trim
- Keep the new haircut, the other one looks stupid.

I have a question though. In the 3rd pic you posted, of the old haircut, what's with the water bottle hanging off the ceiling from the string?

Also, I like your little station and all the anime :)

Hmm...I kept the gotee 'cause I normally like it, but yeah, perhaps I will shave it.

My face broke out after I got to Japan 'cause I sweat so much here. The humidity and heat here cannot be achieved in Colorado if you took a humidifier, stuck it in a closed room for 24 hours (keeping it filled), and turned the furnice in your house all the way up. It has just killed my face. My friend almost had an asthma attack comming off the airplane.

And that bottle hanging down is the product of me being quite bored one night after having a bottle of water to drink. I made some...thing...and decided to hang it up above my computer.

Going to the gym...I actually plan to as soon as I get back. And while I'm here in Japan, since I walk (and soon ride a bike) everywhere, it'll help a bit. Especially since the meals are smaller here, so I eat less, too. My pants are starting to become a bit loose.

How long are you staying in Japan?

Like I said, look into that stuff I mentioned earlier, it helped clear me up when I had a problem like that.

I personally go to a barber myself, I've had better experience with them than 'real' hairstylists. Though, therefore I do have to douse my hair with strange and corrosive products to stop it from going crazy all over the place.

Oh, and the goatee doesn't look that bad, just lose the silly pseudo-moustache.
That said, it is every nerd's entitlement to have stupid facial hair.

I've always wanted to go to Japan. It seems fun. The only thing I won't like are the crowds, but I can get use to it.

Is it true that all the women in Japan are really easy? Cause if not, I have to punch someone strongly in the kidneys.

Danarchy said:

Is it true that all the women in Japan are really easy? Cause if not, I have to punch someone strongly in the kidneys.

I have a date with one already on the 9th to goto a club, and I've gotten another one's e-mail and interest after talking with her twice. I wouldn't say they're easy (I've heard Japanese don't have sex nearly as often as other countries), but they do seem to be rather interested in me.

Yeah well I had this rather large argument on IRC with this guy who was a major asshole. Someone mentioned the fact that Japan's population is on a rapid decline. I said it was because the country is full of freaks who'd rather spank it to animated women than have actual sex. He disagreed and said (in addition to denying that Japan's population was in decline) to ask anyone in Japan and they'd tell you that college age women are all over guys there and will sleep with anyone. So I decided to ask you.

I can't remember if this was before or after the argument where he insisted that the French and Germans were completely unrelated culturaly or biologicaly and in fact, the Franks were actualy Celts. I can't believe they let such lunatics live in our modern society.