Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ViperBoy

R there any trackers among us ?

Mod's rock. I do some with ModPlug tracker every now and then.
The difference between mods and Midis are that you can define your own samples\instruments; wich is good, since not everyone has a good soundcard and knows how to set up proper soundfonts. And they're ususally a lot smaller than MP3's for obvious reasons. So, the advantage is quite obvious.

A mod with good samples can beat the fuck out of any standard 128kbit mp3. They get quite big, true, and ridiculously enormous if you're planning to add lyrics, but it's as cool as wav stored music.

Most people judge tracker files by old Amiga .mod files, which is just wrong. Go get some good .it or .s3m or .xm files. The majority of recent, well-done .it files sound as good or better than MP3 files, at a (generally) much lower filesize.

http://www.scene.org/
http://cbr.planet-d.net/
http://www.modplug.com/

Check it out.

Oh, and, uh, get modplug. Don't use Winamp to play modules.

Oh yes, that's mod's biggest problem. The diversity. Lot's of formats, each own with it's own particular set of features and limits. It's time for someone to make a newer version of .XM, IMO.

OMFG, what happened to Trax In Space?! Now its some stupid fucking jumper site! My GOD! NO!

If you want to hear what a talented musician can do with modules get yourself something by Awesome, that guy fucking rocks. Necros, one of my old time fav trackers, ended up doing some of the music for Unreal too. I was weirded out when I heard Mechanism Eight in UT.

Solutions:

different formats: use winamp !
file size: if files don't have lyrics, they're prolly under 1 mb. If they have lyrics they might get, like 10 mb+. Just convert it into mp3 then. Either way, u'll get small files

mods are the shit...back in the day (96 i think) i used to track A LOT...i still have some left over files here and there - if i'll find 'em i'll post em up :)

Solutions:

different formats: use winamp !

Solution: do NOT use winamp for playing mods/xms/s3ms etc. Why ? Cause MikMod sucks, try fmod/cubic player/xtc instead.

ModPlug is pretty good, but I'm still a fan of anything based off of FMod. I usually use WinAmp too so I don't have to play around with a bunch of programs.

Isn't there an FMod plugin for WinAmp somewhere, or did what I just say melt my brain...?

Last time i tried modplug it sucked squiddy balls and it didn't play the songs right......and it looked like a calculator on drux