Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Big Mac

All those Mac weirdos out there will be happy to learn that Michael Mancuso has created a OS X program to edit Doom lumps entitled Wad Builder, which according to the author

has two basic functions. It can decompile a wad file into a folder with a file for each lump and a file to keep track of the lump order, and it can take one of these folders and turn it into a functional wad again. While it doesn't have support for editing graphics and sounds, it's a basic solution that should allow you to put DeHackEd patches and FraggleScripts into your wads.

Also he sent along word of a new update to the Mac level editor Hellmaker Enhanced, which now has Fragglescript support.

Note from the author:

Hm, that's strange. Wad Builder seemed to be working before, but now Legacy crashes whenever I try opening a file after modifying it with Wad Builder. Guh, this is frustrating. If anyone tries it out and sees that it works, then maybe it's just Legacy being weird.

I'd like to take a G4 case someday, gut it, put some Intel or AMD based stuff in it, slap Slackware on it as the OS, and use it as a hentai and music server. Which I already planned to do when I got home, but I just now thought of the case idea.

I think Mac's are pretty cool.

This editing utility is nice and all, but what Mac users need much more desperately is a better source port... Right now, the only ones to choose from (AFAIK) are Legacy and the original Mac Doom executable. Given Legacy's questionable BOOM compatibility, they're missing out on a ton of great WAD's.

Supposedly JDoom will have an OS X port in the future, but that doesn't really expand the number of levels they can play.

ahahaha, who wants to use a mac? seriously. mac users are weird people. i have a really disgusting scat picture (that i captioned) uploaded somewhere, but when i first saw it, the first thing i noticed was not the guy covered in shit, but the fact that there was a mac sitting like right NEXT to him.

dethtoll said:

mac users are weird people.

The rest of your post doesn't really paint PC users any better.

david_a said:

I think Mac's are pretty cool.

This editing utility is nice and all, but what Mac users need much more desperately is a better source port... Right now, the only ones to choose from (AFAIK) are Legacy and the original Mac Doom executable. Given Legacy's questionable BOOM compatibility, they're missing out on a ton of great WAD's.

Supposedly JDoom will have an OS X port in the future, but that doesn't really expand the number of levels they can play.

jDoom (along with jHeretic and jHexen) has a port for OS X, it's currently in beta testing. It's mostly functional, just a few minor problems.

prBoom can be compiled and run in OS X under the X11 environment, and EDGE has a makefile for OS X, although it doesn't work (according to the readme file, OS X support in EDGE is currently broken).

It's still not an ideal situation with sourceports, but it's a lot better than it was a few years ago.

Oh cool, I didn't know any of that.

The only Mac I have is a beige G3 233 that somebody gave me. I'm not sure the poor thing could handle much in the way of game playing...

david_a said:

The rest of your post doesn't really paint PC users any better.

we just caption scat pictures. we don't actually APPEAR in them.

i would LOVE a pc tool that let you double click a batch file type thing and would wad-up all the files in a folder then i wouldnt have to fuck about with wintex.

e.g. i'm building my megawad and have individual wad files for all the maps and one for the graphics and a bex file, every time i make a map/bex change i could just double click and boing! it's done!

someone make one

now

please

cheers

x

cycloid said:

someone make one

now

If you have the patience to wait for me to get home first, I'll make one for you.

dethtoll said:

ahahaha, who wants to use a mac? seriously. mac users are weird people. i have a really disgusting scat picture (that i captioned) uploaded somewhere, but when i first saw it, the first thing i noticed was not the guy covered in shit, but the fact that there was a mac sitting like right NEXT to him.

Thanks for making this really stupid generalization.

Use3D said:

Thanks for making this really stupid generalization.

don't mind me. just being a jerk.

of course magazine publishers, writers, graphic designers and other professionals are all retarded for using mac. Some fucking scat-captioning idiot on his precious windows system obviously knows better.

the whole scat captioning thign ok thats is just wierd, but there isnt a thing wrong with a mac newer than a power pam g4 450 AGP, thats when they came to terms with hardware standards, basicly went all pci/agp/usb and as an added bonus standard firewire support, now yes the os is a bit fluffy and alot of people dont like that, but it is rock solid and fast, if you have ever used a newer mac you know what i am talking about, come the new g5 has duel indipendent front side buses one for each cpu, thats nothing to sneeze at, and besides it's not like you HAVE to run mac os on a mac, i know of a dozen others that run great on em. well i spoke my peace have fun guys

If your point was to try to make people who hate Macs not hate Macs, then it was still a completely unneccessary bump, because however much you try, it just won't work.

i make fun of mac users, but even i admit- macs are best for getting work done. not like you can do much ELSE on 'em, anyway.

I love my Mac... but I am not totally sold on OS X, It's like Apple took a great OS and made it for idiots. I am running OS 9.1 on a 400 G4 DV. Doom and Doom II run super fast compared to my old 133 mhz Powerbook. I am also not quite sold on Doom Legacy for OS X, I would be very interested in a new version of Hellmaker and DEMON or another BETTER port of DEU for pre OS X.