Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coreystang

What to up-grade first?

I am currently running

pentium 1.7 celeron

512 kingston 3200 ddr

Pny Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440

The game runs choppy at the lowest setting. What we the guru's recommend I change first? Thanks for the help.

Im going to go out on a limb and say that it's your processor. The minimum requirement in that area is a 1.5ghz Pentium IV (or Athlon XP 1500). I dont think a celeron is comparable, even at 1.7ghz.

Your video card could use some upgrading too, if you can afford it. More ram is always a good thing but you're fine in that respect.

doom3 is most intensive on processors, so I'm going to agree with Assmaster. Get a Pentium 4, any Pentium 4 will do, or one of the new Celerons. The old Celerons have very poor cache size and bear no clock speed comparison. Get the best you can afford.

But yeah, it's also time to do the gfx card too.

If I am not mistaken the FBS on my processor is 400. My motherboard can handle up to 533 fbs. I think I will try an up grade on cpu. Thanks guys. What would be a good video card for around 150.00

Stay away from the Celeron chips. They're budget CPUs designed for lower price over good performance. However nowadays you can get the real P4 chips for not much more (and they're worth it). Do not get Celery's if you're at all serious about computer performance.

Amaster said:

Im going to go out on a limb and say that it's your processor. The minimum requirement in that area is a 1.5ghz Pentium IV (or Athlon XP 1500). I dont think a celeron is comparable, even at 1.7ghz.

Your video card could use some upgrading too, if you can afford it. More ram is always a good thing but you're fine in that respect.

i would say the same. really a celeron is shit compared to a P4 or AMD athlon.

however for a must have upgrade i would do the video card. celerons are junk.