Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
solarsnowfall

Running Boom on newer systems

I typically play with zdoom, or Doom95. I'm working on a map I wanted to run on Doom 2. However I'm quickly run into vis problems, so I decided to use Boom to run it (jumping would ruin gameplay) to try and correct the problems. The last time I played Boom was when I had Windows 95 and DOS, but now my system is running on Windows 2000, and when trying to run it through the cmd promt I get an error;

MS-DOS 16 Bit Subsystem

C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe - boom.exe
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS Windows applications.

Is there a way to fix this? How do people run Boom on newer systems? Is Boom still used very much?

Solar

solarsnowfall said:

I typically play with zdoom, or Doom95. I'm working on a map I wanted to run on Doom 2. However I'm quickly run into vis problems, so I decided to use Boom to run it (jumping would ruin gameplay) to try and correct the problems. The last time I played Boom was when I had Windows 95 and DOS, but now my system is running on Windows 2000, and when trying to run it through the cmd promt I get an error;

MS-DOS 16 Bit Subsystem

C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe - boom.exe
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS Windows applications.

Is there a way to fix this? How do people run Boom on newer systems? Is Boom still used very much?

Solar

This is how to FIX your problem (sound won't work right though)

(from MS knowledge base):

CAUSE
This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing or damaged:
Config.nt
Autoexec.nt <-- this is the one that might be it. Make a copy and delete it.
Command.com
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com
exit

Start or install the program. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next step.
Note: The Command.com file is not edited or created in this in the following process. Because of this, you may have to expand it from your Windows XP CD-ROM.

Start Notepad.
In Notepad, type the following entries:
dos=high, umb
device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys
files=40
On the File menu, click Save As.
In the File Name box, type Config.nt, and then click Save. Close the Config.nt file.
On the File menu, click New.
In the new blank document, type the following entries:
@echo off
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3
On the File menu, click Save As.
In the File Name box, type Autoexec.nt, and then click Save. Close the Autoexec.nt file.
Start Windows Explorer. Locate the Config.nt file, right-click the Config.nt file, and then click Copy.
Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.
Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and then click Copy.
Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.
Locate the Command.com file, right-click the expanded Command.com file, and then click Copy.
Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste. Restart your computer.
MORE INFORMATION
For additional information about MS-DOS-based programs in Windows, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
305521 An Error Message Occurs When You Run an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Program

314106 Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows

In the long run it's better to run one of the ports. RISEN3D is fully BOOM compatible, GL enabled, optional models, some floor-over-floor stuff and it's fast

http://risen3d.newdoom.com/