Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bloodshedder

For the Aurally Impaired

Ant has pointed out to us a non-run-of-the-mill modification for Doom 3 in the works called Doom3[CC]. Eventually, the team plans to fully transcript all dialogue, NPC interactions, and audio logs.

DD_133 said:

fp

That's nice, I know someone who's deaf.

*raises hand* now ya know two.

well, not quite. i can hear pretty well as long as i have a hearing aid, but i have trouble making out speech sometimes. if someone speaks clearly, i'm alright usually. but if someone's like "WIG WAH MUH FUH" (which is most people unfortunately) i can't understand shit.

sp

I actually have quite good hearing, but I am always depressed when (x) game doesn't have subtitles. I tend to read faster than I can hear sometimes, and for the games with awful voice acting I can try to tune out the voices and imagine better ones. It's just a lot easier for me if a game has subtitles.

dethtoll said:

*raises hand* now ya know two.

well, not quite. i can hear pretty well as long as i have a hearing aid, but i have trouble making out speech sometimes. if someone speaks clearly, i'm alright usually. but if someone's like "WIG WAH MUH FUH" (which is most people unfortunately) i can't understand shit.

sp

I'm not deaf, but my hearing isn't exactly brilliant. I'm good at picking up sounds, but when people speak without clarity, speak over noise, speak in a difficult regional dialect I have trouble picking up on what they're saying. Particularly difficult when I'm dealing with a foreign language (English is not my native language although I'm fairly decent at it).

Doom 3's voices have given me quite an amount of trouble and it pisses me off, because I want to do a fanfic which at least stays true to the dialogue, but I can't understand everything correctly.

An example is in the intro when the dropship is about to land and the pilot says: "Tower, Darkstar on final" (I found out by checking out the transcript) - I thought it sounded like he was saying: "Tower, Darkstar on run" or "Tower, Darkstar on butt" - none of which made much sense :-P

Sign in to follow this